Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any former mouth brethers who became nose only because of CPAP?
RE: Any former mouth brethers who became nose only because of CPAP?
I would love to be able to only breathe through my nose.  I nasal mask would be so much better for my skin than the full face mask I am using.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2017, 12:21 PM)Rcgop Wrote: Started out with the P10 and could not get leaks under control.  Then purchased a chin strap and things started getting better. Eventually I stopped major leaks. Now leaks are of little concern. Starting 2days ago I weened myself off the chin strap. So far so good. 

I feel it is possible to retrain yourself.

I tend to motor boat air out between my lips even with chinstrap. I'd like to be able to use the P10 or a dreamwear but need to solve the motor boat problem. Did you ever have that problem? Maybe I need a different type of chinstrap?
Post Reply Post Reply
I started on cpap in February. I was always a mouth breather. I tried many different face masks, always with high leak rate; never could get the leaks down even though I kept wearing it 8-9 hours a night; I started the tongue on the roof of the mouth exercise to seal my mouth and began breathing through my nose; I now use the nasal pillows with 0 leak rate and fabulous AHI.   My pressure has been reduced greatly too.  It works great and I'm so comfortable.
Resistance is futile Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I too was a mouth breather.  I am now breathing through my nose. My sinuses are clearer. But I am using the  f20 ffm. I am having trouble with air blowing out of mouth. But if i use the full face  i have no troubles . I actually made a smily face on sleepy head twice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2017, 09:36 PM)Gary1of2 Wrote: I too was a mouth breather.  I am now breathing through my nose. My sinuses are clearer. But I am using the  f20 ffm. I am having trouble with air blowing out of mouth. But if i use the full face  i have no troubles . I actually made a smily face on sleepy head twice.

TWICE?  so unfair!
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I started mouth breathing to compensate for OSA.

Now learning to breathe thru nose when sleeping as using nasal pillows cos find this more agreeable. Not 100% successful but will persist.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2017, 04:43 PM)MikeV99 Wrote:
(04-25-2017, 12:21 PM)Rcgop Wrote: Started out with the P10 and could not get leaks under control.  Then purchased a chin strap and things started getting better. Eventually I stopped major leaks. Now leaks are of little concern. Starting 2days ago I weened myself off the chin strap. So far so good. 

I feel it is possible to retrain yourself.

I tend to motor boat air out between my lips even with chinstrap. I'd like to be able to use the P10 or a dreamwear but need to solve the motor boat problem. Did you ever have that problem? Maybe I need a different type of chinstrap?

Well, not my lips per se. mostly by way of my cheeks. I tried padding my chin strap with foam to keep my cheeks quiet. It all worked. 

Now I am still not using the chin strap and having "no significant leaks". Still register some minor leaks but nothing over the 24 threshold and nothing to wake me.

Last night I felt like my mouth and tongue were glued together and nothing was getting past. Best night sleep in 1 1/2 years.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 6 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 316 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,810 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 195 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 151 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.