Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any gardeners here ?
I feel quite lucky because my husband enjoys gardening. As a result of his hard work working the soil and planting lettuce, I enjoyed a nice fresh lettuce salad for my supper this evening. He has also planted several kinds of tomatoes, pole beans, sweet peppers and potatoes. I don't like the humidity of Summer, but I sure do love the fresh veggies. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Guilty. When I am not trying to rule the world with embedded systems and micro controllers, I am planting stuff. Okay that is just my way of saying, "Yes dear, that plant would look great there. Please, I would love to dig a hole in 90 degree weather with 80% humidity. Think nothing of it. I will call you out from your air conditioned abode to inspect my work when I am finished. " Smile

This past weekend we planted a Crimson Red Black Diamond Crape Myrtle, an Agapanthus Full Moon and umm I think it was Imperial Blue Cape Plumbago. Our Caladiums are starting to pop too. We haven't had much luck with veggies because we are swamped with rabbits this time of year. We'll see an increase in bobcats soon. They control the rabbits.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
Rabbit stew! Rabbit in Mustard Sauce! Rabbit... OK I will stop now.

I am a veggie gardener. I have about 26 tomato plants this year, lettuce, radishes, salad greens, mint, basils, zucchini, summer squash, cucumbers, herbs of all sorts, onions, garlic, Japanese turnips, pole beans, chilis, and probably lots more that I have forgotten! Yes, I do feed the neighbourhood!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iitRg1UdK6E
Post Reply Post Reply

I'm as far from a gardener as you can get. Plants start to wilt if I look at them the wrong way. Laugh-a-lot

Now my husband always grew flowers, and would enter them in the fair and win blue ribbons.

He once grew a sunflower that measured 14.5 feet tall and had to be transported to the fairgrounds on our friends flatbed truck. He also grew Dahlias 8 to 10 inches in width.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2016, 06:51 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: I feel quite lucky because my husband enjoys gardening.

I've always told my wife that buying flowers is one thing but planting them is true love. Good to know that Lettice can also make one feel lucky Lolabove
Post Reply Post Reply
My idea of gardening involves Round-Up. (If it don't grow, you don't have'ta mow!) My wife has to put up crime scene tape to keep me from killing her stuff.
Post Reply Post Reply

(05-25-2016, 08:46 AM)0rangebear Wrote:
(05-24-2016, 06:51 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: I feel quite lucky because my husband enjoys gardening.

I've always told my wife that buying flowers is one thing but planting them is true love. Good to know that Lettice can also make one feel lucky Lolabove

My husband also plants flowers in the front of our house which faces a 4-lane busy highway. Last year we had someone stop and comment on the beautiful flowers he had growing there. We've lived here 45 years and it isn't very often someone will comment on our nice yard. It is true love that makes my husband plant flowers instead of buying them. I know it makes him feel appreciated when his hard work is recognized.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2016, 09:07 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: My idea of gardening involves Round-Up. (If it don't grow, you don't have'ta mow!) My wife has to put up crime scene tape to keep me from killing her stuff.

You would need a LOT of Round-up to kill the grass at our house. We have 1-1/4 acre to mow and it takes two of us 3-4 hours. We can't all be gardeners, I mean - someone has to admire the hard work it takes to have flowers or vegetables.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2016, 11:53 PM)chill Wrote: Rabbit stew! Rabbit in Mustard Sauce! Rabbit... OK I will stop now.

I am a veggie gardener. I have about 26 tomato plants this year, lettuce, radishes, salad greens, mint, basils, zucchini, summer squash, cucumbers, herbs of all sorts, onions, garlic, Japanese turnips, pole beans, chilis, and probably lots more that I have forgotten! Yes, I do feed the neighbourhood!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iitRg1UdK6E

Love your youtube video.....thank you. Grin

Never heard of Japanese turnips, and what kind of pole beans do
you plant?

Post Reply Post Reply

These are the turnips:
http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/b...se-turnips
We eat them radish sized, greens and all.

Pole beans... let me see...
- three kinds of the asian "yard long beans", including a red/purple one, still waiting for a good crop one of these years
- a flat, yellow Italian variety that are excellent with bacon or salt pork, or just steamed with salt and olive oil. I think we might call them a Romano bean
- green romano beans, a couple varieties
- Blue Lake green beans, these are great producers!
- an Italian purple one, round like green beans, not flat like Romano

That is all that I have this year. Last year was a disaster for my beans, hopefully this year will be better.
Post Reply Post Reply