Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any gardeners here ?
(07-21-2016, 08:52 AM)0rangebear Wrote: It has been a warm summer for us. The raspberries. watermelon, cantaloupe and cucumber seem to love it. But the blueberry and grapes look a little withered on the edges.

I hear ya'...I've been watering directly into the ground around our fig trees, as the fruit has stopped growing! and leaves burning around the edges!!
I enjoy being with a group who like to share their "Hosehead" experiences, to remind me I am not alone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Now that it is harvest time for some garden crops where I live, we have encountered a problem that puzzles both my husband and myself. When we planted tomatoes, we planted several kinds so we would have some to eat fresh and some to can or make into juice. What we are finding is that some of the really ripe tomatoes have split open. Can anyone tell me if it is any particular variety that is prone to this or is it because we've had a fair amount of rain during the ripening process?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2016, 12:42 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: Can anyone tell me if it is any particular variety that is prone to this or is it because we've had a fair amount of rain during the ripening process?

My understanding is that splitting can be caused by over watering tomatoes.

But, I have the opposite of a green thumb - so what I say is probably wrong.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply

Frank is right, too much water.Okay
Just my personal opinion. My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact. Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel. Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2016, 01:23 PM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: Frank is right, too much water.Okay

We 'suspected' as much, however when Mother Nature decides to send rain we have no choice but to accept it and then some. One day between the time when hubby planted the tomatoes and now, when it is harvest time, we received 4 inches of rain in less than 24 hours. We were glad to get the rain as our grass had turned brown from lack of moisture. It was sort of a "double-blessing" as during the drought we didn't have to mow lawn. Now that rain has returned we mow every week and did I mention how tired I am of mowing? Oh-jeez

Post Reply Post Reply
Next year make the bed you plant them in deeper - maybe put 12 inches of rocks on the bottom so the water from the rain can drain out away from their roots.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply

Have you considered four legged mowers ? Take the mask off SleepyHeads Goat, I bet she is starving...Dielaughing

Just my personal opinion. My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact. Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel. Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
As others have said, when it rains a lot (or you over water), tomatoes split. That is when I make salsa, Gazpacho, sauce etc. No sense in crying over split tomatoes!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, yes I am one. Love the dirt. I've just started up a new garden on a new property and I'm loving it!
Post Reply Post Reply

(08-22-2016, 02:53 AM)SleepyVenter Wrote: Hi, yes I am one. Love the dirt. I've just started up a new garden on a new property and I'm loving it!

Good luck to you my friend as you begin a new garden.

Post Reply Post Reply