Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any help interpreting DreamStation data is appreciated!
RE: Any help interpreting DreamStation data is appreciated!
Mornin' Everyone-

I've attached my Oscar results for the past 3 nights. I've increased both the min pressure and max pressure per suggestions I've gotten here (thank you!) but unfortunately nothing has changed in how I feel when I wake up, I still feel kind of tired (& have woken up with headaches).

I also noticed that last night my "periodic breathing" was one of the higher readings than I've ever gotten in that category, I'm not sure what this means exactly (though I can guess) or what it's attributed to.

Any thoughts or insights or suggestions are really appreciated.

Thank you!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry you're still not feeling rested. Here are a couple of thoughts.

First, periodic breathing is just breathing with a pattern of waxing and waning. Occasional and short periods of PB are absolutely nothing to worry about. Just to check, could you zoom in within one of the PB areas until you get a 15-minute segment of your flow rate and then post it?

Second, you seem to have tolerated the increase of the minimum to 7 quite well, so how about increasing to 7.5? Your numbers are very good right now, but even so there may be room for improvement.

Third, I notice that you are still probably not getting enough sleep. I can also see that you have different bed-times on different nights. I know from experience that sticking to one bed-time can be hard, but could you give that a try? Also -- though this sounds kind of hippy-dippy -- if you don't already, could you try getting at least 15 minutes of exposure (including your eyes) to sunlight in the morning? And doing your best to avoid screens with blue light in the evenings? These two measures can help people get their "circadian rhythms" working better. Some basic information here:
https://www.nigms.nih.gov/education/fact...ythms.aspx
Post Reply Post Reply
Dormeo, thanks again for your thoughts and response.

I definitely get sunlight (in the morning especially) whenever I can! I think that's really helpful. And I've been cutting the blue light exposure down and reading instead. As far as the inconsistent hours of sleep, sometimes I'll wake up an hour before the alarm goes off and take the CPAP off. Maybe I shouldn't do this.

As for the 15 minute increment of PB, I went to my Oscar data and there is the periodic breathing highlighted in green on the left, but there doesn't seem to be a graph called PB (there's Flow Rate, Pressure, Leak Rate, Snore, Tidal Volume, Resp. Rate, Minute Vent., Insp. Time, Exp. Time, AHI, and Time at Pressure).

Help?
Post Reply Post Reply
I would leave the gear on and the machine running if you're staying in bed. That helps to strengthen the association between (sleeping in) bed and CPAP and weaken the temptation to start taking it off for more and more time. I have that temptation, so I know whereof I speak.... I'm curious: after you take the gear off, do you go back to sleep? Or mostly just lie there?

What I had in mind is that you zoom in to a 15-minute interval that you select somewhere within the period marked in green. But what we'll really be looking at is the flow-rate graph. But include all the graphs. To zoom in, place your cursor where you want to zoom in, and repeatedly left-click your mouse until you get the time interval you want. It doesn't have to be exact.

I'm glad to hear about the sunlight and the reading. You're way ahead of the game there.
Post Reply Post Reply
A-ha! Ok, now that I know what you mean... hopefully this graph helps you to help me <cheesy smile>

Thank you!!

Post Reply Post Reply
I hope inserting a "cheesy smile" wasn't offensive-- I guess it was my way of saying that getting all of this help without giving anything in return feels a little embarrassing or wrong.

Thank you for all of your responses and insights.

I feel a little less tired today... I included the 15 min interval (above) and last nights stats (on this post) to see if there was anything that stood out.

Again, thanks for all of your help, I didn't mean to be offensive. Sometimes what you're trying to convey online and what you mean are 2 different things! Oh-jeez

Post Reply Post Reply
I thought "cheesy smile" was funny! And it is very possible that other people will be helped by reading your thread. I have certainly been helped by reading about other people's experiences and how they solved problems they were encountering.

The periodic breathing is absolutely nothing to be concerned about -- just a little waxing and waning. There's a very specific form of periodic breathing called Cheyne-Stokes breathing that is associated with serious health problems, but this is most certainly not that.

I'm really glad you feel less tired today. There will always be good nights and lousy nights, but I hope you're on a generally improving trend here. Nothing stands out to me from this most recent chart. Do try to get more sleep with the machine on, but aside from that, steady as you go!

Keep us posted, would you, whether with problems or (I hope) updates on improvement.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dormeo!

Here are my stats from last night... I won't post anymore stats after today (unless there's an issue), but just in case someone saw something in my data that might be helpful. For example, what do you think of the pressures (6.5 min to 15 max). Is there any reason why I should raise or lower either?

And stupid question: the calendar on the top left has opened up and takes up waaaaaay too much space and I can't figure out how to make it go back to collapsed! Does anyone know how to do that?

Again, many thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
tb123 - See the little arrow (triangle), pointing up, next to the day-of-the-week? Click it and it will roll up the calendar and change to pointing down, meaning show the calendar.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
tb123, I believe you would benefit from an increase in minimum pressure.  You were at 7 cm last week and I see you're back down to 6.5 cm.  Slight increases in min pressure will likely help clear up some of your hypopneas.  I suggest you go back up to 7 cm.  I wouldn't be surprised if you eventually need 7.5 or 8 if you want to get under 1 AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Help with interpreting OSCAR results 6bez8dF5lf 7 186 Yesterday, 10:13 AM
Last Post: 6bez8dF5lf
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 0 70 04-13-2024, 06:43 PM
Last Post: StuffyNoseDude
  Need help interpreting the data Hopey 2 106 04-12-2024, 09:40 AM
Last Post: Hopey
  Help interpreting my results (and hello!) mluck94 4 144 04-08-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: mluck94
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 95 2,618 04-05-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Back to CPAP for UARS, help interpreting graphs dcg494 2 195 04-02-2024, 08:58 AM
Last Post: dcg494
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 8 637 03-30-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: MildOSAHighRera

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.