Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any ideas for a mask that might work?
Any ideas for a mask that might work?
I am so tired of CPAP. Does anyone have any ideas for a mask I can try that might work? If it would last a while that would be nice too.
I have just tried Respironics Nuance Gel Pillows Mask.The pillows are too close together at the top so they hurt my nose. What happen to having pillows that swiveled so they could be adjusted? I also think that there must be something in the pillows that bothers the skin of my nose. They irritate my nose anywhere they touch it. The head gear is total junk. It stretches in the back to pull it on. Pulls my hair and is showing wear and tear after about 3 uses. Velcro will not stick. The loop that might be able to hold the tubing if it were big enough is too small. That was my insurance pick so I am out of luck for a while. Totally my fault, I picked. Where I go to get supplies they are very nice people but they do not use CPAP so they seem to know nothing about it.
The doctor wanted me to try a full face mask and I tried Quattro Air size small. It is really great if trumpeting and farting noises are what you want. It is a demo so I am not out any money this time. I have cut out a tee shirt liner which is the only way I can use Wisp or Eson but it does not help with the Quattro leaking. On the plus side it is better quality. The doctor wanted me to use a full face mask with a PureSom ruby chin strap over it. Has anyone ever tried that? PureSom only comes in the sizes too, too small and your head is how big? But customer service there is super. Any help out there? Please.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any ideas for a mask that might work?
I don't know anything about the Eson or Quattro Air. I know I am not able to use Mirage Quattro, Quattro FX or Amara Gel. Resmed masks don't work with me and part of the issue is the head gear. I can talk a little about wisp and chin straps. Have you tried all 3 cushion sizes with the wisp? I am not sure what you are saying about the chin strap you mention in your post but I know they come in different sizes and the one I have is an adjustable one. FFM are hard to control the leaks. Not sure why your doc suggested a FFM and a chin strap. I am sure others will be able to offer you more suggestions. One thing I can say, is don't give up on your CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi fhobbs,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
There are many different masks out there so don't be shy about asking to try as many as you need to 'til you find what works for you.
I encourage you to stick with CPAP and hang in there for more suggestions. Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
One of the best Nasal Pillow masks is the Resmed Airfit P10, I am a newbie but it is hard to find much of anything wrong with it IF you can breath freely through your nose and avoid mouth breathing.

I don't know about the irritation -- surely most (all?) of these mask as avoiding anything but hypo-allergenic materials.

Maybe it isn't the material, but the mask pressing, shifting, or being to hard and just abrading or otherwise irritating you nose.

Even the P10 would irritate me IF *I* kept adjusting and re-adjusting it. The trick was to "get it right" (using a mirror) and then just refuse to move it.

My AHI is great and my leaks are essentially ZERO while my nose is not bothered when I do that.

Moving the mask around all night was basically like picking at a sore: totally counter-productive.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply

I don't know anything about the Eson or Quattro Air. I know I am not able to use Mirage Quattro, Quattro FX or Amara Gel. Resmed masks don't work with me and part of the issue is the head gear. I can talk a little about wisp and chin straps. Have you tried all 3 cushion sizes with the wisp? I am not sure what you are saying about the chin strap you mention in your post but I know they come in different sizes and the one I have is an adjustable one. FFM are hard to control the leaks. Not sure why your doc suggested a FFM and a chin strap. I am sure others will be able to offer you more suggestions. One thing I can say, is don't give up on your CPAP.

Thanks,
I have tried all three sizes with the wisp. It is okay, hurts my nose the least, but they do not last very long at all and they leak.
The ruby chinstrap is adjustable and comes in a size that is too small for me, it can be adjusted smaller but not larger and the XL size that is so big that I can not adjust it small enough to fit my head.
Eson hurts my nose. All of them leak in my eyes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another idea is the SleepWeaver mask which are made from clothe (similar to ski gear or rip stop nylon). The Anew is a full face (oral nasal) and the others just cover the nose I believe.

This might solve or ameliorate your issues with irritation whether by allergy or contact with harder plastics.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2014, 10:26 PM)fhobbs Wrote: I don't know anything about the Eson or Quattro Air. I know I am not able to use Mirage Quattro, Quattro FX or Amara Gel. Resmed masks don't work with me and part of the issue is the head gear. I can talk a little about wisp and chin straps. Have you tried all 3 cushion sizes with the wisp? I am not sure what you are saying about the chin strap you mention in your post but I know they come in different sizes and the one I have is an adjustable one. FFM are hard to control the leaks. Not sure why your doc suggested a FFM and a chin strap. I am sure others will be able to offer you more suggestions. One thing I can say, is don't give up on your CPAP.

Thanks,
I have tried all three sizes with the wisp. It is okay, hurts my nose the least, but they do not last very long at all and they leak.
The ruby chinstrap is adjustable and comes in a size that is too small for me, it can be adjusted smaller but not larger and the XL size that is so big that I can not adjust it small enough to fit my head.

liberty is a ffm (part covers your mouth and then there are nasal pillows).

not sure if this will help with the wisp but in case someone didn't tell you, the wisp isn't designed to sit on the bridge of your nose; it is designed to sit in about the middle of your nose. if you have other problems with wisp, this info won't help you be able to use the wisp.

my chin strap is carefushion and is more like a maroon color. not sure if this will work for you or not. it is supposedly, according to the DME, a deluxe chin strap that has a cup where your chin goes and has Velcro in the back and on top that can adjust the size to a certain extent. I put my chin strap under my head gear.

YMMV
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2014, 10:34 PM)me50 Wrote: not sure if this will help with the wisp but in case someone didn't tell you, the wisp isn't designed to sit on the bridge of your nose; it is designed to sit in about the middle of your nose. if you have other problems with wisp, this info won't help you be able to use the wisp.

Technically the bridge/ridge of the nose is the entire front part:

[Image: anatomy-nose1-large.jpg]

I had the wisp mask sitting a little above the middle of the ridge and it gave me a huge pressure ulcer and I still have a mark a month later from that mask and it was adjusted as loose as it gets and as you know I tried every cushion. I hope it didn't leave a permanent scar, soon as my doctor saw it he said to change masks.

Swift FX nasal pillows is what I use now and am pretty happy with. I wear the headgear VERY loose, in fact the back part constantly slides up and does nothing but it doesn't effect the leakage as the pillows stay in my nose. I am almost at the point where I forget it's there if I close my eyes which is sweet.

I also heard great things about the new Air-fit P10, which is like the SwiftFX only lighter and quieter apparently. Reading other forums and reviews on it they are generally positive. So it might be worth a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2014, 10:54 PM)SnuffySleeper Wrote: ...
Technically the bridge/ridge of the nose is the entire front part:

[Image: anatomy-nose1-large.jpg]

Thank you for the technical terms.

I was really bugged reading the SleepWeaver "sizing chart and instructions" when they used the term "bridge" without definition and I didn't easily find a diagram on the Internet.

Turns out the SleepWeaver instructions were full of horse hooie, but at least when they are confused *I* am not -- thanks to you.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2014, 10:26 PM)fhobbs Wrote: I have tried all three sizes with the wisp. It is okay, hurts my nose the least, but they do not last very long at all and they leak.

When it comes to CPAP, the devil is in the mask. A few people get the right mask right at the beginning and never have a problem. Most need several before they find something that works for them. I have been through ten masks and finally have something that works, although not as well as I wish it did.

There is a thread here relating to chin straps that that I started. (Too late at night and too ready for bed to go find it for you, but search on my username.) In the end I had a friend make me a custom chin strap that I use on top of the Wisp.

My main problem has always been leaks because I am too active. But I must also breathe through my mouth slightly, which makes the leaks even worse. I urge you to consider scrapping the Ruby and all the other chin straps and make your own. The cost would be negligible, so why not give it a shot?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 106 5 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 171 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 627 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Finally found through DISE why cpap/bipap/ASV was never going to work for me. logart89 9 1,371 08-01-2023, 09:36 AM
Last Post: logart89
  Travel PAP machines - heat/moisture exchange units - do they work? Bostonsnow 1 752 06-10-2023, 06:34 AM
Last Post: cate1898
Angry Ideas on how to reduce events, ahi 3k9BAO 3 517 06-08-2023, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  RESMED S9 Smart Stop does not work Taxifahrt 20 13,322 05-14-2023, 02:34 AM
Last Post: Patt1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.