Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any ideas for a mask that might work?
RE: Any ideas for a mask that might work?
I use the ResMed FX Nano nasal mask and a Ruby Red EXTRA LARGE chin strap and it works fine. I do get hot during the night with it but it does keep my mouth closed. I use the Medium Nano cushion but you will need to have your RT give you the right size for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I feel for you - I tried five masks before I got one that's reasonably good. It's the Quattro Air, same as you're using. Strangely the one I had for a trial was perfect but the one I purchased had lots of leaks (trumpets and farts). I found that using a Padacheeks liner overcame the leaks, so for the time being it's working for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had good luck with the Swift FX for six months but just started using the Nuance and that just about eliminated leaks. The Swift FX also tended to press down on the upper lip with the Nuance doesn't. And the Swift FX is famous for its jet engine-like exhaust. The Nuance much better. The only othe mask I tried was the Pilaro. It only has one strap and didn't hold the pillows in place for someone like me who tosses and turns.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
I use Quattro Air, and had the same problem of major noisy leaks. I solved the problem with mask liners. I tried several brands to find what works best for me. I've been a CPAP user for only 11 days, and until I learned about mask liners 5 days ago I was fearful of ever being able to use CPAP successfully. As a newbie, I wish that my DME had given me more information about supplies and choices that I have. At the outset this mask felt incredibly comfortable to me, but I couldn't tolerate all the wind generated by the many leaks, which led to frustrating days and despair. I finally went back to the DME and found the liners on a rack. Maybe that is all you need, or maybe you need a different mask. Maybe I need a different mask too, but I found a solution for this mask so I will keep it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not surprised you disliked the Respironics. It seemed entirely inferior to Resmed masks. You might want to consider a Resmed (Swift FX or Airfit P10) nasal pillows along with a chinstrap (I like the SP-CHADJ chinstrap available off amazon). Much more comfortable. If the nasal irritation continues, you might want to consider applying a dab of lanolin before bedtime. As the fellow above said, mask liners are also great and reduced the mask farts by a lot when I was using the Quattro Air.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DNB128,
WELCOME! to the forum,! and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Masks are so individual. While eviltim has success with Resmed, I have never had success with them. I only tried FFM but even at that, the head gear gave me a lot of grief.

On the other hand, I have not had a problem with the Respironics wisp nasal mask or the head gear.

Trying masks until you find the right one for you is the best way to go.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does anyone have any ideas for a mask I can try that might work?

I've lost track of all the different masks I've used or tried to use , I really like the Resmed Mirage FX nasal mask it is the most comfortable and leak free short of rolling over on your face. I Always wash face with soap water , then wipe face with rubbing alcohol and paper towel to remove any oils that the soap missed . I'm like some of the others and like the Resmed masks better than Respironics or Fisher & Paykel . Don't be surprised if you have quite a mask collection .
jim Dreaming
Post Reply Post Reply
While masks are indeed individual, that particular model (Respironics Nuance) seemed basically like a Swift FX with weird gel inserts that didn't prevent mask marks and made it fit worse. But yes, the only way to know is to try them until you find the right one.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 107 7 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 171 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 627 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Finally found through DISE why cpap/bipap/ASV was never going to work for me. logart89 9 1,374 08-01-2023, 09:36 AM
Last Post: logart89
  Travel PAP machines - heat/moisture exchange units - do they work? Bostonsnow 1 752 06-10-2023, 06:34 AM
Last Post: cate1898
Angry Ideas on how to reduce events, ahi 3k9BAO 3 517 06-08-2023, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  RESMED S9 Smart Stop does not work Taxifahrt 20 13,323 05-14-2023, 02:34 AM
Last Post: Patt1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.