Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Did you felt better after an septoplasty and turbinate reduction?
Did you felt better after an septoplasty and turbinate reduction?
Hello all, 

Have an septoplasty and turbinate reduction scheduled for January, especially to correct the turbinates.
I had this booked since I had trouble breathing (side sleeping) and was feeling very tired ,with a low ahi.

However I swapt to an wedge pillow (sleeping on my back), and I feel an improvement in breathing, lower leaks and a small improvement in how I feel. This is also how I used to sleep, and the position with the highest ahi in the sleep study.

I initially had an ahi of 25 with only 3 RERAs.

Should I expect to feel better after the surgery? It is even worth it to do it, now that I breathe better in this position?

I also can't sleep through the night. I get up at 4 am, and then I get small awakenings after that.

Thank you for any feedback
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Did you felt better after an septoplasty and turbinate reduction?
Have you first tried using Fluticasone Propionate ( Flonase) in the evening and sticking with that routine for a couple weeks? If not , you should. You may find out like I did you can manage the blockage and open up the sinus so your cpap therapy can work.

I went to an ENT for the same purpose as you. He first injected my turbinates with Kenalog ( I think that is what it was). To see if the turbinates could be shrunk a little. It worked great for about 2 months. He also instructed me to use the Fluticasone Propionate spray durning the evening. I have managed to keep my nasal passages pretty clear most nights and now pretty happy I didn’t have to have and surgeries. Sometimes before bed if the pollen is bad I will use the saline rinse that you clear the nasal passages with before the Flonase. For me it was just figuring out the little tricks that work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Forgot to mention, I use a nasal spray, other brand 

I'm getting doubts because i seem to breathe better sleeping on the wedge, the ahi still low and I dont feel normal

I also do frequent blood work, and nothing explains this

Considering postponing the surgery to get another sleep study done, this time with the CPAP machine
Post Reply Post Reply
Are your nasal passages swollen so you can’t breathe through your nose?

Flonase is a steroid. All nasal spray’s aren’t the same. What spray do you use?
Post Reply Post Reply
They don't feel swollen since I started to use a wedge pillow, since I breath better

The spray is Dymista (steroid + allergy spray)

Used one before, only steroid.

But the thing is that I don't feel with problems to breathe now, even though the quality of sleep is not much better
Post Reply Post Reply
Yea it can be a challenge getting all the sleep hygiene right . So many things play a part especially as we age. Exercise is a big plus for me along with quitting drinking anything about 3 hrs before bed time.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  anyone with positive apnea reduction using emf shielding over bed? Pierelly 7 244 03-21-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 383 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  CPAP issues after tonsillectomy + septoplasty bloom25 14 1,333 01-31-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: bloom25
  Felt like I was suffocating last night! Changed too many Clinical Settings at once. JoshuaApneaProblems 3 358 01-17-2024, 05:56 AM
Last Post: Muggzy
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,362 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  Large Number of Flow Limits Even After Septoplasty zfaulk 10 1,012 10-19-2022, 02:48 PM
Last Post: zfaulk
  Anyone quit CPAP because they felt worse? AlaskanJaeger 21 2,216 08-25-2022, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.