Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any other CDL drivers get restricted due to OSA?
Any other CDL drivers get restricted due to OSA?
I am a newish truck driver in CA. I have been fighting with CA DMV for over 18 months. After my diagnosis of mod OSA I began using a Cpap. I have never failed a DOT med exam. DMV restricted me to intrastate commercial driving only (can't drive out of CA in a truck), no hazmat and no passenger endorsement.

I have proven over 90% compliance with my Cpap and my AHI is consistently below 4. I've never had any daytime somnolence.

I have had 5 appeals and reviews. Today a DMV supervisor told me that no CA driver with OSA is allowed to drive a Commercial vehicle out of state. The US DOT says they do not restrict drivers with well controlled OSA. Anybody with a similar experience?

My only option remaining is to hire an attorney.Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any other CDL drivers get restricted due to OSA?
Sometimes we hear from truckers that are trying to "beat the system." In your case you are doing everything you are supposed to do, and doing it successfully, and they're giving you shixx?

I'm sorry about that lltrucker. It really doesn't make sense to me that they feel they can regulate commerce outside of their borders.

Good luck to you, and congrats for doing the right things.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are several commercial drivers on the forum. They have to show DOT compliance.
Some even have their CPAP machine in their sleeper berths.
I do not know if any are in CA. Hopefully one will chime in...

Kommiefornia is a different animal.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2015, 08:08 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Sometimes we hear from truckers that are trying to "beat the system." In your case you are doing everything you are supposed to do, and doing it successfully, and they're giving you shixx?

I'm sorry about that lltrucker. It really doesn't make sense to me that they feel they can regulate commerce outside of their borders.

Good luck to you, and congrats for doing the right things.

Thanks, I think it has a lot to do with the great state of CA as Fed guidelines allow me to drive when well controlled.
(03-11-2015, 08:11 PM)justMongo Wrote: There are several commercial drivers on the forum. They have to show DOT compliance.
Some even have their CPAP machine in their sleeper berths.
I do not know if any are in CA. Hopefully one will chime in...

Kommiefornia is a different animal.

Yep, when I was driving over the road I had my Cpap in the sleeper. I have always had my Cpap downloaded and presented when going for my DOT exams.
Post Reply Post Reply
Get a lawyer. I'm not aware of a regulation or law that would allow California DMV to restrict your license for a medical condition that is treated. The CA DMV can issue restricted drivers licenses to drivers that do not submit the report of medical examination in accordance with Vehicle code Sections 12804 and 12804.9.

If my livelyhood relied on driving, I would reside in Nevada or another state that prevented me from making a living.

As far as I know, the applicable regulations are here: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&...s#eleven_1 Any restriction that is not lawful cannot be imposed on you. Something sounds very wrong about your situation, but you have obviously been fighting this for a wihile.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider, yes I've been fighting this for a while! I have all the applicable code sections and I've talked to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. I have submitted a letter from the FMCSA to CA DMV, who seem to have ignored it!

Ca can restrict a CDL for OSA, however I don't think they can after it's been well controlled, which is the crux of the FMCSA letter.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi lltrucker,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and I hope you can get this straightened out.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2015, 09:39 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi lltrucker,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and I hope you can get this straightened out.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

Thank you!Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need advice, Heart rate data, O2 and restricted breathing Zackio 7 1,180 01-24-2023, 09:45 AM
Last Post: fishfinderG
  nose fine at night, but restricted/plugged in morning space45 4 2,605 03-23-2014, 08:09 PM
Last Post: Eddie702
  [News] Drivers with sleep apnea OK: Chest doctors ApneaNews 3 2,829 06-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Last Post: Paptillian
  Gov't pays $36.25 to Drs to report unfit drivers zonk 0 2,031 10-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Last Post: zonk
  [News] Commercial Drivers Understate OSA Symptoms for Fear of Losing Their License ApneaNews 2 2,769 09-26-2012, 07:39 AM
Last Post: Moriarty
  [News] Sleep Apnea Affects More Than 40 Percent Of Truck Drivers ApneaNews 5 4,608 05-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Last Post: JumpStart
  Truck Drivers face manditory OSA screening in U.S. ApneaNews 0 3,041 03-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Last Post: ApneaNews

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.