Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any reason to change maximal pressure on an APAP machine?
Any reason to change maximal pressure on an APAP machine?
Hi,

Is there any reason to change the maximum pressure value of an APAP machine? I understand the need to change the minimal pressure (it might not be enough) but if it isn't required, the APAP wouldn't provide highest values. One reason I can imagine is if the patient is susceptible to pneumothorax, where the lung can be endangered with high pressure levels. Any other reasons? 

Also, during your therapy, if you observe for a few weeks that your maximum pressure level is consistently  under a certain value (for example 10 cmH20), would there be an advantage to change the APAP limit to 10? Does it influence the performance of the unit?

Thanks....
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any reason to change maximal pressure on an APAP machine?
Aerophagia, comfort, to prevent pressure rising without 'events', getting used to CPAP gradually. And I'm sure I've missed some. The bottom line is that everyone is different and adjustments are often tailered to individuals circumstances
Post Reply Post Reply
wrong info sorry
Post Reply Post Reply
drmaestro,
The apap responds to flow limitations and snores by raising pressure, sometimes high than necessary.
Thus, one reason for limiting maximum pressure.

You stated that you never exceed a max pressure of 10, so there is no reason to keep it set at 20.
What is your 95% pressure reading? Set your max 2 to 3cm above that.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:You stated that you never exceed a max pressure of 10

Could you explain the 95% pressure reading, in regards to not needing max pressure at 20?

The reason I ask, is if I don't need ASV after my titration study, I would want a APAP Res Mes Airsense 10 autoset for the EPR.
Post Reply Post Reply
The 95% reading is simply the pressure you were at or below for 95% of the night.   Note the or below.
It's just a guideline for setting a pressure range... 2cm below the 95% number and 2cm above to set max.

Again, it's just a guideline.   Setting a pressure range depends on the type of apnea events you experience, and most likely would be adjusted from time to time.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
just confused about max ramp on an auto PAP machine. I didn't see owner max adjustments on it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Max ramp??? There is no max ramp.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
ok.. it has a ramp to increase pressure above minimum. It stops at a certain pressure and I figure it's max for that therapy session. And as you said, you won't need anywhere near 20 cm H20. My prescribed pressure is 5-20 cm H20. Isn't 20 max pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2020, 05:21 PM)milboltnut Wrote: ok.. it has a ramp to increase pressure above minimum. It stops at a certain pressure and I figure it's max for that therapy session. And as you said, you won't need anywhere near 20 cm H20. My prescribed pressure is 5-20 cm H20. Isn't 20 max pressure?

I think your a bit confused about ramp.  Either way, that's not what the OP was asking.  

Also, it's not right to hyjack this thread.  You might want to start your own thread with any questions you have.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,417 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,701 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 363 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 557 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,410 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.