Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any reason to use Auto mode?
Any reason to use Auto mode?
Just kind of curious about this.... I have resmed vpap auto, set at 12/8 EPR as prescribed from my study. My AHI is running < 3 the past few nights.

I am very early into treatment but I am curious.... presuming you are not bothered by the higher pressure (I'm not thus far) is there any advantage to try and get the lowest pressure necessary? i.e. what advantages are there in running at lower pressure(s)? e.g the machine finds I get the same AHI results at 9/5.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any reason to use Auto mode?
Regardless of the pressure setting, the real issue has to do with getting quality sleep. Since your sleep study results prescribed 12/8, it's best to leave it at that for the time being. The auto CPAPs should adjust your pressure according to your sleep apnea pattern.

Personally, I don't see any advantage to reducing the pressure range; although, since I got S9 auto I have played with it just see if I could tell any difference in the quality of my sleep.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2013, 06:56 PM)cincysinner Wrote: Just kind of curious about this.... I have resmed vpap auto, set at 12/8 EPR as prescribed from my study. My AHI is running < 3 the past few nights.

I am very early into treatment but I am curious.... presuming you are not bothered by the higher pressure (I'm not thus far) is there any advantage to try and get the lowest pressure necessary? i.e. what advantages are there in running at lower pressure(s)? e.g the machine finds I get the same AHI results at 9/5.

Sometimes the lowest pressure is not the problem. For me I feel my pressure was TOO low and I want it high enough to be effective. Everyone has different circumstances.
Post Reply Post Reply
Only reasons I could think of are:

1) If you were having a lot of pressure induced Central Apneas.

2) If you were experiencing Aerophagia (swallowing air - causing gas/bloating/stomach pain)

I'm assuming these aren't happening and your AHI looks pretty darn good, so if I were you I wouldn't mess with anything.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2013, 06:56 PM)cincysinner Wrote: I am very early into treatment but I am curious.... presuming you are not bothered by the higher pressure (I'm not thus far) is there any advantage to try and get the lowest pressure necessary? i.e. what advantages are there in running at lower pressure(s)? e.g the machine finds I get the same AHI results at 9/5.

If your AHI is the same and the higher pressure doesn't bother you then there's probably no advantage.

The only thing I can think of is that there's more to the measurement of the effectiveness of your therapy than the AHI. At lower pressure your AHI may be the same but, for example, the events may be lasting longer.

AHI just counts the events and doesn't take the duration of the events into account.

Since you are new to therapy and you are not having any problems just keep the settings where they are until your first scheduled follow-up with your doctor or respiratory therapist.

At that point you can evaluate the situation and discuss any changes you might want to make with your doctor.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2013, 06:56 PM)cincysinner Wrote: Just kind of curious about this.... I have resmed vpap auto, set at 12/8 EPR as prescribed from my study. My AHI is running < 3 the past few nights.

Hi cincysinner,

Is your VPAP Auto machine set in VAuto mode or VPAP S mode? (It is capable of being set in CPAP mode, VPAP S mode or VAuto mode.)

VPAP S mode is the standard bi-level mode, non-Auto. This would mean EPAP always 8 and IPAP always 12, for example, which would be kinda like CPAP with pressure set to 12 and EPR set to 4. (Except EPR is limited to values from 0 to 3.)

EPR does not apply to bi-level machines. EPR is only used in non-bilevel PAP machines such as ResMed Escape, Escape Auto or AutoSet. Bilevel machines use PS (Pressure Support). PS is kinda like EPR except PS is limited to values from 0 to 10 in the S9 VPAP Auto machine. (For non-bilevel machines, EPAP = IPAP - EPR. For bilevel machines IPAP = EPAP + PS.)

I wonder if your prescription was intended to be for an APAP (such as S9 Escape Auto or S9 AutoSet) with a range of 8-12 and with EPR enabled for user control? If that is the case, be happy you received a better unit.

The S9 VPAP Auto records all the data the S9 AutoSet does plus more, and has an upgraded blower unit compared to the S9 Elite, S9 Escape Auto or S9 AutoSet. Of course, it had to be upgraded, in order to be able to produce inhale-exhale differences in pressure up to 10 cmH2O. I don't recall seeing reports of whistles and noises with the S9 VPAP Auto, but reports are not uncommon that the S9 Escape, S9 Escape Auto and S9 AutoSet units sometimes produce slight whistles.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is set in S mode, bi level. It still has EPR and it breathes differently with it on.... I like the EPR so I use it.

So far I love this machine... it breathes really nice, when I wake up in the morning I can hardly tell it is on.

Post Reply Post Reply
It's good to hear from someone who took to the machine so well that they forget it's on. I had the S8 VPAP Auto 25 and it was a fine machine and would work in CPAP, Bilevel and AUTO modes. In AUTO everytime the pressure would go up so did my AHI, then the pressure would ramp higher to stop the apneas which would cause more apnea.... I settled into Bilevel mode for the best results.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2013, 08:42 AM)zimlich Wrote: It's good to hear from someone who took to the machine so well that they forget it's on.

I quickly learned that it's partly due to how quiet modern machines are, particularly the ResMed line. My old gizmo generated so much white noise you KNEW it was on.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Difference between S-Mode and VAUTO mode - Aircurve MrIvanDrago 3 246 02-27-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 583 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  [CPAP] CPAP in Silent Mode and Mask Useful life meaning aconti 5 459 12-17-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: aconti
  Changed my mother over to APAP Mode: Phaleronic 2 382 12-11-2023, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Resmed 11 autoset For Her mode help! HMG7450 10 678 11-15-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Flow Rate Interpretation and PAP Mode / Pressure Settings Suggestions ABC1234 3 605 10-16-2023, 07:34 PM
Last Post: ABC1234
  Mode and Pressure settings missing; yesterday's shown. Captain Howdy 2 477 10-11-2023, 02:32 AM
Last Post: Captain Howdy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.