Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any reason to worry?
Any reason to worry?
Hi,

I have had problems with sleep for many years - snoring, stopping to breathe, waking up from dreams of drowning, and being tired/falling asleep during the day. Finally I did a home sleep study, and was told that as long as I sleep on my side,  things look ok.
I bought a small device to see how various methods of sleeping on the side do, the O2 vibe.
I tried sleeping with a tennis ball on the back, a big backpack, but results seem to be always the same: 
(I live at 7000ft, so base O2 is a bit low)

I have 2-3 episodes where oxygen level drops. The total time of each of them is ~20 minutes, but in each level goes up and down, so I end up with 10 minutes total under 90%. Lowest level is ~80%. 

So my questions are:
1. Is there anything to worry about, or can I just continue like this? The Dr seems to divide #drops by total sleep time, getting ~6 per hour, 
but to me it seems significant that they are not uniformly distributed, and I get long periods with "low oxygen". (Is 80% low?)
2. What could be causing these episodes. Could it be that I still manage to turn on my back (with the backpack it seemed fairly impossible)?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any reason to worry?
what we know from the chart you supplied that you have apneas, in great number (estimated AHI of 10 per hour), and when you have them your oxygen level drops too low.

if you did not have these events and oxygen issues, probably we could chalk up some of the lower oxygen levels in the 90 to 94 range to just being at the 7000 foot elevation.

we do not know if you have obstructions that cause the apnea, but is likely if you are snoring.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would highly recommend a proper sleep study...
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mltam,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you and hang in there for more responses to your posts.
Hopefully, you can get your sleep problems figured out.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the comments. So, if I understand correctly, you are saying that it does not 
matter that over the whole night my rate is below 6, but that during the times when I do have apneas
they occur at a high rate, and O2 goes too low.
I do snore, a lot, and have since I was at least 13. And my wife does observe me stopping to breathe.

I had a proper study done, a home study, and the result was that supposedly while on my side the rate is only 5 per hour,
and on my back 32 per hour. So the Doctor recommended that no further action is needed other than trying to restrict my sleep on my side.

But after doing that I get the results above, and it seems you are saying I should try to get another study done.
Post Reply Post Reply
How long ago did you have a home sleep test?  The thing is, Sleep Apnea may start out mild, but left untreated, rarely stays that way.  

Your wife notices you snoring and stop breathing.  It's time to look into it further.  Don't let your apnea go untreated.  It takes a toll on your heart and every part of your body.

If you have insurance coverage, get an overnight sleep study done in a sleep center or hospital.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The study was done a month ago. 
(My insurance didn't approve a lab study, and claimed there is no evidence that a lab study is better than a home study)

What is strange that I see no response whatsoever to what I do. Tonight I tried cervical collar and backpack, and the results look worse.

Could it by some kind of artefact? (Note that I tried the device on my wife, and she had 0 drops...)

Here is a zoom in:

I think it is time to go back to the doctor, or maybe to a new doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a proper study done, a home study, and the result was that supposedly while on my side the rate is only 5 per hour,

and on my back 32 per hour. So the Doctor recommended that no further action is needed other than trying to restrict my sleep on my side.

There has been discussion previously regarding people experiencing more episodes while back sleeping.
The equipment I had for my home sleep study more or less forced me  to back sleep, and I did suggested that the test was flawed due to this, but was ignored.
Perhaps if you were to have a proper lab study done with better equipment than I had, you might see different results.

Best of luck............
Post Reply Post Reply
I would use a cpap, if I had your results and symptoms. Unless you want to stop sleeping as you are, the o2 test shows it's not working,
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with everyone so far. test and history shows something is up. I don't know why your dr. is against ordering a cpap for you. I believe an in lab study would definitely show sleep apnea.

if your current dr. won't order an auto cpap for you. take your test results to another dr. and get a second opinion.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  6+ of CPAP, but symptoms are coming back for some reason terrytorres 7 638 09-22-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
Question Pressure on eyes, what could be the reason? newbieusa 4 511 09-20-2023, 02:18 PM
Last Post: UnknownActor
  Therapy less effective for no obvious reason Chalkie 2 398 08-09-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: Chalkie
  Is there any reason to buy the AirSense 11 when the AirSense10 is still available (an snorin2 4 678 07-27-2023, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Cpapian
  Sudden leaks for no reason Crickets 16 1,248 06-09-2023, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  New Mask - Leaks or nothing to worry about? SleepyDwarf123 5 1,025 02-18-2022, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Should I worry my Clear Airways? AlanAb 7 966 12-17-2021, 10:02 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.