Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] DS1, Oscar, Leaky mask, back to DS2
DS1, Oscar, Leaky mask, back to DS2
Hello friends, 

I managed to defoam my recalled DS1 and so I decided to use it last night to collect some Oscar data.

Unfortunately, a few minites into my sleep, the flow stopped and I woke up. The display read that there was a leak in the mask (weird, the mask was working perfectly well with my DS2 the night before). I tried again. Same thing after a few minutes.

Good news: here's my first OScar data (see attachment, it's just a few minutes I know).

I stood up in the miffle of the night and reinstalled my DS2. Unfortunately, I must have removed the mask at some point in the middle of the night, as I woke up and I had no mask (I used the mandibular displacement thing at this point), so it is possible that the mask is leaking.

Questions for you: 

1) is it possible that removing the foam has made the DS1 unusable? I was careful not to cut the plastic container.

2) how do I check my pipe and mask for air leaks.

3) what's the status of Oscar being able to decrypt DS2 data? I contacted Philips about this, but so far no response.

Thank you

Fillmore

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DS1, Oscar, Leaky mask, back to DS2
Any takers?
Post Reply Post Reply
A few minutes of Oscar data isn't enough to base any meaningful comments on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks but the question wasn't about my Oscar data (I mentioned it only because I succeeded in accessing the first sample of my own sleep data. I shared this little big achievement out of sheer enthusiasm). Questions:

1. is it possible that removing the foam from the DS1 has made it unusable? As in, it will detect a leaking mask also when the mask is perfectly fine?
  2. how do I check whether a mask leaks? Is there a technique to check if there are tears in the pipe or something like that?
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I am only going by the videos that I have seen on the topic, but they indicate that the DS1 will run without the foam. 

What I am wondering, however, is whether you have inadvertently introduced a fault in the process of dismantling and reassembling the machine.  At best, you simply have a poor connection as you reassembled.  Worse would be a wire or something actually breaking somewhere in the process. 

But as I said, I have no first-hand knowledge about this so please just consider this to be me thinking aloud to see if it triggers anything in your mind.

Other than that, I am watching with interest because I have just switched from a DS1 to an AS10 and am also struggling with leaks.  I did have some starting on the DS1 but I got a new mask when I got the AS10, so I do not think it is the mask.

Good luck with the DS1
Post Reply Post Reply
1) is it possible that removing the foam has made the DS1 unusable? I was careful not to cut the plastic container.

If you resembled it correctly.  It should work just fine.  Lots of folks have removed the foam and claim their machines work.

2) how do I check my pipe and mask for air leaks.

Pull of the tubing from the machine.  put your thumb over one end.  blow through the other.  If you hear or feel like you can blow through it get a new one.

Mask you will need to to connect to your face a see if you have leaks around the cushion.

3) what's the status of Oscar being able to decrypt DS2 data? I contacted Philips about this, but so far no response.
Its encrypted its going to be a while. 

Phillips doesn't care about OSCAR.

I hope that helps and like others have said we need a full nights sleep recorded to help.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2021, 03:34 AM)Stuart Wrote: I have just switched from a DS1 to an AS10 and am also struggling with leaks.  I did have some starting on the DS1 but I got a new mask when I got the AS10, so I do not think it is the mask.

Stuart have you started a treatment thread here on the Forum so we can help you?
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Factor. Much obliged.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, I have not started a thread yet.  I have been playing a bit to get a feel for things and to decide what questions I really want to ask.  I also have some tape ordered but not yet delivered to see if that is the problem.  

I do plan to start a thread sometime soon.

Thanks for asking though.  Nice to know that there are people on the forum who care enough to do so.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,971 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 521 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 934 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 401 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 294 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  Back at it after a few years HomerJ 7 543 02-18-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 234 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.