Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any recommendations for an oximeter
Any recommendations for an oximeter
I've been thinking that I'd like a recording Oximeter, perhaps with an alarm. Any suggestions?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any recommendations for an oximeter
I got the CMS 50i from Cooper on the supplier list.
It was the most expensive one they offered, but comparing the feature list I decided I did not want to come back to buy a second one because I missed a feature I needed. The buttons that control the functions are cheap, but the device works well. I compared it to my MDs oximeter and they were within 2% agreement. No way for me to tell which was more accurate, so close enough and within the stated spec for accurnacy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Take a look at the Reviews section of the forum. If all you want is one to use occasionally, then get the cheaper one. But if you want to use one often or feel you want those bells and whistles, no matter how rarely you use it, then get a more expensive one. If you toss and turn a lot, then a simple over the finger one may not work. You will want one that is on the wrist with a small thimble like thing that goes over the finger tip.

And bwexler, feel free to add a review of your own of the oximeter you have. I can't remember if that model has been done or not.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a simple Nonin finger oximeter for spot checks.
I would like to have a recording one for all night use for say monthly check runs.

If low PSaO2 is a problem; then I need to run it every night. My O2 nadir during my sleep study was low even with optimum BiLevel. So, I have an O2 concentrator that flows 2 LPM into the CPAP stream.

I don't really toss and turn during sleep... I start out on my back with no pillow; listening to music in over the ear headphones. I wake about 1 to 1.5 hours later, remove the headphones and roll on my left side and use a pillow to keep my neck line straight. I fall quickly back to sleep and stay that way for the rest of the night.
(My equipment is to my left during sleep.)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2013, 06:44 PM)justMongo Wrote: I have a simple Nonin finger oximeter for spot checks.
I would like to have a recording one for all night use for say monthly check runs.

If low PSaO2 is a problem; then I need to run it every night. My O2 nadir during my sleep study was low even with optimum BiLevel. So, I have an O2 concentrator that flows 2 LPM into the CPAP stream.

If you may want to run it every night for several days in a row then I suggest the wrist-mounted ones are far more comfortable for long term use.

I use one like the CMS 50i from Supplier #19. Will record up to 36 hours of data (which can include up to about 15 sessions -- I forget the exact maximum number of sessions) before it is full and you must download/save the data to your computer and erase the data in the oximeter before you can record more. Battery lasts 2 or 3 nights before it needs recharging with a simple mini-USB cable connected to your computer or USB charger.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Battery live on the low end CMS 50D+ is pitiful.

Since you need one for accuracy, I suggest the wrist one, then.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've had terrible luck with personal recording oximeters. Both models I've tried regularly lose contact with my finger(s), - I've tried them on every finger on both hands - resulting in no readings, and one regularly reads as much as 30 points lower than a cheap non-recording oximeter worn at the same time.

During my sleep studies, my O2 never dropped below 86%, so I don't think it's me.

If anyone has come across a good, reliable one I'd sure like to hear about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2013, 01:35 PM)mdh235 Wrote: I've had terrible luck with personal recording oximeters. Both models I've tried regularly lose contact with my finger(s), - I've tried them on every finger on both hands - resulting in no readings ...

Which models have you tried?
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2013, 02:24 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(09-23-2013, 01:35 PM)mdh235 Wrote: I've had terrible luck with personal recording oximeters. Both models I've tried regularly lose contact with my finger(s), - I've tried them on every finger on both hands - resulting in no readings ...

Which models have you tried?

SPO PulseOX 7500 (reads low, loses contact) and a CMS60D (constantly loses contact).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,219 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 520 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 90 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
  Recommendations to optimize settings roost 8 624 03-06-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: roost
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 151 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 202 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.