Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any risk to RedMed machine if I remove filter after a month and reinsert backwards?
Any risk to RedMed machine if I remove filter after a month and reinsert backwards?
Long story: A couple days ago I changed from the original standard filter on my AirCurve 10 Vauto to a 3rd party "hypoallergenic" filter from Supplier #1.   Commercial Link Removed.

This morning my machine briefly (for about 7-8 respiratory cycles) made a loud sound like the one in that YouTube video of the AirSense with a faulty pneumatic block: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naaezJEujSU

I'm hoping, as unlikely as it may be, that changing back to the more porous "standard" filter will prevent that awful sound from recurring and save me from having to send my relatively new device in for a warranty repair.

Problem is, I can't remember which side was facing which way on the standard filter I've been using and removed.  Visually, it looks white and clean.  If I put it in the wrong way and run the machine for a while without wearing the mask, will any accumulated dust just vent through the tube to the air, or could it gum up the internals of the machine somehow?

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any risk to RedMed machine if I remove filter after a month and reinsert backwards?
If you can't see the dirt, it is unlikely to release enough particulate be a problem to your unit. If there is a soft fuzzy side, that's the one that faces out. Remember how we used to blow-out the filters on our cars before Jiffy Lube started removing the filter and beating them to show you all the dirt to sell more filters? That works too.

I wonder how much more pressure drop there is in a hypoallergenic filter, compared to OEM?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any risk to RedMed machine if I remove filter after a month and reinsert backwards?
I'm not sure, but I think I noticed the machine being a little louder right away when I made the switch, and then then two days later I got the dying cow sound. When I realized it was coming from the machine, I took a couple deep breaths, and it went away.

The 3rd party hypoallergenic filter looks much less porous than the OEM standard filter, but for all I know, the OEM hypoallergenic filter may be just like the 3rd party hypoallergenic filter.
Post Reply Post Reply
"If there is a soft fuzzy side, that's the one that faces out."

There is a puffier side and a flatter side. Puffy faces out?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2018, 11:07 AM)Shin Ryoku Wrote: "If there is a soft fuzzy side, that's the one that faces out."

There is a puffier side and a flatter side.  Puffy faces out?

Yes.  That is the surface area to capture dirt particles.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Got it, thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sure glad you asked this question. I just changed out my filter and didn't think to look at it. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried a hypoallergenic filter awhile back and darn near killed me.  I could't breath and it felt like I was suffocating, my resp rate was like 50 and I was panting like a dog. At the time I didn't know what was causing it and while trying to figure out what was wrong with me (the machine tested fine at the DME but wasn't put on me), Sleeprider made some random comment that got me thinking and then it hit me, I had changed filters. 

I went up and opened the door to the filter, turned the machine on and WOW, the filter was almost sucked in.  I put the mask on and held my breath, the machine started bucking and that is what made me feel and look like I was panting 'like a dog'.  The hypoallergenic filter I had was not allowing air to pass through the filter medium.  Once I put the normal screen filter back in, I haven't had a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for posting that about the hypo filter. It's another thing on the check list, for when there are problems.

I wouldn't reverse a filter, I think it will only empty the dust into the machine. When you clean other filters, you blow air from the clean side. To remove the trapped particles.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 163 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 845 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 122 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  One month in and could use help RTC75321 2 155 03-20-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: RTC75321
  [Treatment] Low O2 After Almost a Month of Therapy somewherein413 36 1,063 03-14-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 140 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 936 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.