Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any solutions for nasal swelling?
RE: Any solutions for nasal swelling?
(04-26-2012, 12:19 AM)moondoggy Wrote: Just wanted to give an update. I decided that the one thing I had not considered was too much humidity so last night I turned the humidity down from 5 to 4 and I wasn't nearly as congested. My right side was open all night long and although my left side was still congested it was more open than I have been the last two nights. Not sure what this all means but it's a bit of relief to have been able to sleep all night. I'm going to try 4 again tonight.

Yeah, too much can be as bad as not enough. You might even want to drop to 3 in a few nights, just to see how it feels.

Post Reply Post Reply
Tried a setting of 4 again and it was OK but not great. Woke up at 4 AM and was sleeping on my right side and was having difficulty breathing but things weren't completely closed. Turned over on my left side and it was like night and day breathing so I went back to sleep. Not sure why changing sides made a difference but it did. I think tonight, I'll go down to 3.5 and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oral decongestants such a sudafed or phenylphrine. Also antiistamines such a zyrted or claritin. The doctor can prescribe nasal sprays such as Asteiline or a steroid spray.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey MoonDoggy, I am a lifelong "stopped up nose" sufferer. I have tried it all including a complete 7 surgery cleaning out of my nose and sinuses by my ENT (wish I had not of done that)! Smile

I have tried all the allergy pills too. When I was 21 (Im 61 now) I got addicted to Dristan nasal spray (way before the 12 hour Afrin), that was horrible.

So, here is my 40 year report. The ONLY thing that works for me and even this does not work all the time but is quite helpful is... Nose Strips and saline nasal washes. The nasal washes are tricky to start but once you learn that is does not hurt it becomes 2nd nature and something you look forward too because it feels sooooooo good to get all that stuff out of you nasal passages including post nasal drip.

I'm new here so if there is not a post on how to do this I will try to put a tutorial up for those that want to try it.

Good luck and Im sorry you have to go through that.

TAAA
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2012, 12:47 AM)Texasaaa Wrote: I'm new here so if there is not a post on how to do this I will try to put a tutorial up for those that want to try it.
Welcome to fourm
You can start your own thread. I,m quite interested to read about your experiences as recently had a septoplasty surgery and still recovering.
Also once you've been an active bard member for a month you can apply to become wiki editor and do your own wiki on the subject.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have suffered from year round allergies for the last 2 years, and am on two prescriptions for them. My nose is often plugged. Just from listeneing to me talk my sleep Dr. said besides taking the singulair every day...which I always do...that I would need to do the Nasonez spray every day. I explained that I had spoken to my pharmacist already about that, and that he explained it can not be used full time, but intermittant was ok. My sleep Dr. said that would work alright, otherwise my CPAP would not work. I have been using CPAP for nearly 8 weeks now, have only used the nasonex 2 or 3 times, and CPAP seems to be working wonderfully. I certainly feel for you though...it is a terrible feeling to be gulping for air. I have mild asthma as well, But CPAP seems to have handled that as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since your problems are only at night and only began since starting your Autoset therapy, your problem is probably not allergy related.

Try doing without the humidifier at all for a night. During the summer, you may not need it. At least you will see if you are congested from the humidifier or not. If you wake up a bit dry but not congested, then the next night, use as little humidity as you can get away with. Keep the temp no higher than room temperature.

I actually had worsening of my AHI with climateline tubing and high temperature and humidity settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2012, 06:43 AM)kitley Wrote: I have suffered from year round allergies for the last 2 years, and am on two prescriptions for them. My nose is often plugged. Just from listeneing to me talk my sleep Dr. said besides taking the singulair every day...which I always do...that I would need to do the Nasonez spray every day. I explained that I had spoken to my pharmacist already about that, and that he explained it can not be used full time, but intermittant was ok. My sleep Dr. said that would work alright, otherwise my CPAP would not work. I have been using CPAP for nearly 8 weeks now, have only used the nasonex 2 or 3 times, and CPAP seems to be working wonderfully. I certainly feel for you though...it is a terrible feeling to be gulping for air. I have mild asthma as well, But CPAP seems to have handled that as well.

Kitley,
I know that quite often pharmacists may be more knowledgeable than doctors on medications; however, in this case I think your pharm may be incorrect. I have been on Nasonex for a number of years for my allergies. Before that I was on something else and then the "drug of choice" for my HMO changed and now I am on Nasonex. I have had allergies since I was very young ("he'll grow out of it!" NOT!) and have had surgery to correct issues brought on by years of allergies. Bottom line, Nasonex like so many pharms is kind of addictive in a way that it will cause your sinuses to shut down if you quit taking it. But if you take it all the time because you need it....is that a problem? I am also so addicted to oxygen I have a CPAP. Let's put it in perspective! I take 2 hits off my QVAR and 2 hits off my Nasonex every night before I hook up to my machine.
Mike
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Some nasal sprays are kinda "addictive", as in the body has a 'rebound' after discontinuing use. These are sprays like Afrin. Nasonex is allegedly not addicting but I guess if it works, then you get "addicted" to the being able to breathe! Good docs would prefer you only use the nasal sprays during allergy season or you switch between two of them if allergy season for you is, like, all seasons.

I tried Nasonex a while back but it burned my throat. That's when I started using the nasal rinses. I don't take anything now for allergies except my Flovent which helps keep asthma away.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry AirTouch N20 - digs into cheek - any solutions? Lilaq88 2 611 03-26-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Valtor
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 865 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Eye swelling Luvbug 1 336 12-15-2023, 09:05 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Creative solutions if you don't have a night stand? rpierce 6 632 08-28-2023, 06:51 AM
Last Post: dataq1
  Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows Bostonsnow 6 1,157 07-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.