Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any solutions for nasal swelling?
Any solutions for nasal swelling?
I have a nasal mask (Resmed Softgel) and lately I've been waking up around 3 or 4 in the morning unable to breathe. I'm a bit freaked out about this as back in February this happened to me and I went into Atrial Fibrillation. I thought the first time that my problem had to do with dry room air that was causing my nasal passages to swell shut but now the furnace is not running so I don't know what is causing them to swell. My concern is that I have another month to go until I'm eligible for a new mask and need to breathe while using my nasal mask. Has anyone had this kind of swelling? If so, what did you do to reduce the swelling so you could breathe again.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any solutions for nasal swelling?
Swelling as in even with the mask off, you could not breathe through your nose?

If this is it, then you need to speak with your doc immediately if not sooner.

Dry nose is one thing but completely blocked? That's another beastie.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds to me like you need to see an ENT or allergist and find out what you're allergic to. As for waiting another month, I wouldn't; you need to find gear you can live with now! Either visit your local DME and see what they have, or peruse the supplier's and manufacturer's sites to see what's out there.

BTW, what is the setting on your humidifier? Could it be set too low?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2012, 09:33 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Swelling as in even with the mask off, you could not breathe through your nose?

If this is it, then you need to speak with your doc immediately if not sooner.

Dry nose is one thing but completely blocked? That's another beastie.

Paula,

Thanks for the reply. I don't seem to have much problem during waking hours. I have noted recently that my left nostril is pretty blocked all the time right now but this hasn't always been the case. Right nostril is OK during the waking hours and when I mask up at night all starts off well but then the right side swells shut too. Note also that I have visited my ENT who took a CAT scan of my nose and sinuses to confirm that all is well. My ENT noted my swelling and suggested that I see an allergist but my appointment is not until May 1st.

Post Reply Post Reply
Have you changed the filter lately? When is the last time you cleaned out the hose and mask? Have you had seasonal allergy symptoms before?

You have the humidity set kinda high (going by what you said in the other thread) so you may want to turn it down a tad.

Have you ever tried the nasal rinses? Consider trying those right before you go to bed.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2012, 09:36 PM)bobg1946 Wrote: Sounds to me like you need to see an ENT or allergist and find out what you're allergic to. As for waiting another month, I wouldn't; you need to find gear you can live with now! Either visit your local DME and see what they have, or peruse the supplier's and manufacturer's sites to see what's out there.

BTW, what is the setting on your humidifier? Could it be set too low?

Thanks for the reply.

As noted in a previous reply I visited my ENT who took a CAT scan of my sinuses and nose and said that all was well. He did note my swollen nasal passages and set up an appointment with an allergist but my appointment is not until May 1st. My hose temperature on my S9 is 81 and humidity is set to 5 right now but I don't know if that is too much or too little? How do you know?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2012, 09:48 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Have you changed the filter lately? When is the last time you cleaned out the hose and mask? Have you had seasonal allergy symptoms before?

You have the humidity set kinda high (going by what you said in the other thread) so you may want to turn it down a tad.

Have you ever tried the nasal rinses? Consider trying those right before you go to bed.

I changed my filter at the beginning of April and I'll change it again May 1st. I clean my equipment once a week and I soak the hose, water tank and mask in a vinegar and water solution for 30 minutes. Note also that I was just diagnosed this year and have only had my equipment for about 2 months. If I had seasonal allergies before I never made the connection as I ddidn't have a chin strap or a mask last year.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use breathe right strips every night. I cannot breathe with the nasal pillows without them. I ordered boxes of them off Amazon since they are so much cheaper there than the store.
Post Reply Post Reply
I prefer to use the climateline in auto set at 23C the default setting 27C and the S9 adjust the humidity and rainout protection is guaranteed. I get congested at higher setting every body is different and nasal sinus douche gives relief from nasal congestion.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just wanted to give an update. I decided that the one thing I had not considered was too much humidity so last night I turned the humidity down from 5 to 4 and I wasn't nearly as congested. My right side was open all night long and although my left side was still congested it was more open than I have been the last two nights. Not sure what this all means but it's a bit of relief to have been able to sleep all night. I'm going to try 4 again tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry AirTouch N20 - digs into cheek - any solutions? Lilaq88 2 611 03-26-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Valtor
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 865 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Eye swelling Luvbug 1 336 12-15-2023, 09:05 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Creative solutions if you don't have a night stand? rpierce 6 632 08-28-2023, 06:51 AM
Last Post: dataq1
  Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows Bostonsnow 6 1,157 07-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.