Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any suppliers that can issue a FSA/HSA statement?
Any suppliers that can issue a FSA/HSA statement?

1. Does anyone know of a CPAP vendor who can generate a FSA/HSA statement on request for reinbursement?
  2. Better yet, does anyone use a vendor who takes a FSA/HSA debit card and does the paperwork electronically? 
  3. If you have a HSA, who do you use and would you recommend it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any suppliers that can issue a FSA/HSA statement?
No experience with it here, but if you try some of the retailers in the Supplier List linked to at the top of the page I'm sure you'll find a bunch of 'em. That's not just a guess; I did a few quick web searches limited to a dozen of those domain names and found that FSA/HSA spending is mentioned on web pages and/or in blogs of Supplier #1, Supplier #3, Supplier #4, Supplier #9, Supplier #10, Supplier #14, and Supplier #15, which is where I stopped searching (so most likely there are further hits among the remaining 17 entries in the list).
Post Reply Post Reply
lost: are you asking about what you need to prove to the irs that you've used your hsa withdrawals for qualified medical expenses?
Post Reply Post Reply
if so, this is the response that I wrote before thinking to ask you if I'm understanding your question.

not sure if this will help. what I'm going to say here is pretty rudimentary, so it's entirely possible I'm not understanding your question. but I'll give it a shot anyway. also, I haven't dipped into my hsa for a few years so maybe things have changed. with those caveats, I'll give you my for-what-it's-worth response.

1st, a dme provider should be willing and able to provide you with a statement or a receipt or a full accounting of your account on request at any time.

2nd, in my experience there's no paperwork required for using hsa funds except the hsa form you get annually from your hsa custodian and the IRS form you file with your tax return. to my knowledge there's no req'mt to itemize hsa withdrawals to justify eligibility. I've never needed an hsa statement for reimbursement. if you mean reimbursement of an out of pocket expense that qualifies as an hsa medical expense , including a direct deduction transaction using hsa debit card, we just have to keep our receipts or statements for the required time to be able to prove to the IRS, should they happen to ask, that the expense qualifies. (not sure how long that is; 7 years used to be pretty standard but a different period may apply to some things; search the IRS website, ask your custodian or check your account disclosures.)

anytime I used my hsa debit card, it was just like any other debit card transaction. no paperwork required. no problems unless we make the mistake of using the card for non-qualified expenses. I know I have to be able to justify that the expense is hsa eligible but only the IRS would ask. dme provider doesn't need to know where your money comes from. maybe dme providers have some reporting requirment I don't know about but no other vendor in my experience has had to do any paperwork for or about me regarding my use of my hsa funds. it's between me and the irs.

hsa's are odd. I believe they were originally intended to help low income folks put money aside to pay against high deductibles and some medical expenses. but because you can theoretically invest your hsa contributions in a variety of financial vehicles, hsa's have been run down as good only for the rich who can afford to put money aside and tie it up relatively illiquid investment vehicles.

at any rate, in the 11 years I've had an hsa, only a few local banks have offered them and some that did have dropped them. none have had alternative investments. just hsa savings accounts that are terrible investments as they pay as poorly as every other savings account. some online hsa providers offer other investment options but last I looked, few were worth the fees or tying up your money.

for those reasons, I've kept my account at a local bank or credit union earning virtually nothing. I don't think the program was very well thought out. as investments they stink but the tax benefit is pretty darn good.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2018, 01:04 PM)lostinthemidwest Wrote:
  1. Does anyone know of a CPAP vendor who can generate a FSA/HSA statement on request for reinbursement?
  2. Better yet, does anyone use a vendor who takes a FSA/HSA debit card and does the paperwork electronically? 
  3. If you have a HSA, who do you use and would you recommend it?

Your FSA/ HSA debit card should be accepted anywhere that accepts your card (visa, master card, ect). If you want to to utilize the full tax benefits that come with a FSA/ HSA account only use your card for qualified medical expenses, CPAP supplies are a qualified medical expense. There is no need to use a specific vendor, or obtain any special paperwork. Simply pay expenses out of your FSA/ HSA account and save receipts, bills, canceled checks, ect in case Uncle Sam ever asks you to prove that the expenses were medical.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 99 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 100 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  hypertension issue PaulaO2 19 654 03-04-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 1 182 03-02-2024, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 351 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.