Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any tape recommended to keep mouth shut?
Any tape recommended to keep mouth shut?
Just caught myself with my mouth slightly open to where it was the sound of air rushing out that woke me up (along with a very dry mouth). 

I wonder if that's where a lot of my leaks are coming from. 

Normally, the tongue at the roof of my mouth trick works, but I suppose maybe not in deep slumber. 

Is there some sort of medical adhesive that is good to keep my lips sealed and that won't be super irritating when I remove it in the morning? 

Not really a fan of more headgear. Brevida headgear is enough.

Bleep would be good, but it was hard for me to get a good seal around the nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any tape recommended to keep mouth shut?
I learned, after a truly horrid first night with straight PAP therapy, and a nasal mask, that my jaw opened about as soon as I feel asleep, and that the result was huge leaking through my parted lips.  I began to use tape my second night, and have not looked back.

Look for the 3M NexCare 2.4 cm wide, white, surgical-like tape on a white plastic spool.  The spool is nested inside a white plastic cylinder. 

Tips:

Tear off approx. 4 cm, or about 1.5", and firmly press it over your top and bottom lips, centered.  Don't worry about tearing off a length that will extend past the corners of your mouth.  I thought it was necessary, but now I don't seem to need more than that smaller amount...FIRMLY pressed across its entire surface.

Purse your tightened lips slightly when you apply the tape.  Then, press it firmly all over.  I'm stressing this firm pressing because if you don't, and you have oily skin, it may lift during the night and you'll leak anyway.

That brings up another tip: maybe wash your face, or at least your mouth's surfaces, with warm water and soap to remove oils prior to retiring.

When you tear off a length, or cut as you wish, fold over a tiny tab of the length left on the spool.  That becomes your 'quick-remove' tab for the next night's use when you awaken and have to remove it.  Otherwise, it can be tricky to get that edge up under your fingernails.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2019, 12:17 AM)mesenteria Wrote: I learned, after a truly horrid first night with straight PAP therapy, and a nasal mask, that my jaw opened about as soon as I feel asleep, and that the result was huge leaking through my parted lips.  I began to use tape my second night, and have not looked back.

Look for the 3M NexCare 2.4 cm wide, white, surgical-like tape on a white plastic spool.  The spool is nested inside a white plastic cylinder. 

Tips:

Tear off approx. 4 cm, or about 1.5", and firmly press it over your top and bottom lips, centered.  Don't worry about tearing off a length that will extend past the corners of your mouth.  I thought it was necessary, but now I don't seem to need more than that smaller amount...FIRMLY pressed across its entire surface.

Purse your tightened lips slightly when you apply the tape.  Then, press it firmly all over.  I'm stressing this firm pressing because if you don't, and you have oily skin, it may lift during the night and you'll leak anyway.

That brings up another tip: maybe wash your face, or at least your mouth's surfaces, with warm water and soap to remove oils prior to retiring.

When you tear off a length, or cut as you wish, fold over a tiny tab of the length left on the spool.  That becomes your 'quick-remove' tab for the next night's use when you awaken and have to remove it.  Otherwise, it can be tricky to get that edge up under your fingernails.

Thank you! I'm having a devil of a time looking for that exact tape. This is the closest I could find: https://www.amazon.com/Nexcare-Flexible-...J3DNS1GGHF but that does not rest on a plastic spool. It's a cardboard spool, albeit white. This one says "breathable," so that actually might be the wrong type of tape necessary. 

Is this the one you're referencing or is it a different one?
Post Reply Post Reply
Look for Nexcare Water resistant Adhesive Tape.  

sb

Post Reply Post Reply
If your jaw relaxes (normal) enough to cause leaks, an alternative to tape might be a jaw support like is discussed in this thread http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...aw-support The big advantage is a support that does not pull the jaw back and increase obstruction.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2019, 09:48 AM)snorybob Wrote: Look for Nexcare Water resistant Adhesive Tape.  

sb

Thank-you.  I forgot that important descriptor and characteristic.  Yes, to our OP, it's the 'water resistant' kind.
Post Reply Post Reply
Somnifix strips. Work pretty good for me
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 Today, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.