Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any theories why we unconsciously remove mask?
Any theories why we unconsciously remove mask?
Hiya Hosies,

So, I am a faithful mask wearer, I love my mask, no secret resentments etc. I don't think it slips off on it's own. Sometimes, maybe 4 or 5 nights in my 52 now, I find the mask will be taken off by me, without my being aware of it. I always seem to put it back on on my next awareness or loo trip based on the data.

Last night, the weirdest one so far, I had it off around 7 am, then back on maybe 15 mins later, for 8 mins, then off again for another 30, then back on for the last 4 hours.
An inland of 8 mins on again in a sea of 45-50 mins. Odd.

I've always looked at my data right before these removals, to see if there is anything standing out. Super high pressure, or leaks or what have you. But I don't see a pattern.

What have you all found? Is it just a blip? Is it, maybe a warmer night, or an itch you don't know you have, or higher pressures preceding? deeper sleep? Recent changes?

I doubt anyone know knows, but have you any personal theories why you have it happen?

I'm not concerned about it as it hasn't become any kind of bad habit or entrenched issue, just wondering why so random?

All else said, SLEPT great feeling wise, ahi of 3.0, deep sleep according to my phone app, not too many night pees etc. HAPPY HAPPY.

The Manse Hen
Feeling good enough to lay an egg!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any theories why we unconsciously remove mask?
I do not have any theories why we remove our masks at times in our sleep. I awakened one night fairly early in my PAPing to find that I had literally ripped my mask off my head. I did not take it off. I did not release any straps. I just reached up, grabbed the mask, and tore it off my head.

I have wondered what caused it. I would guess that in my case it was some sort of fear reaction possibly to something that I was dreaming. It has never happened again nor have I taken my mask off while asleep. Your demasking does not sound like it is in response to anything like what I experienced.

I have an off the wall question for you, Henny. Do you know of a place called the Portola Valley on the peninsula south of SF?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
"Any theories why we unconsciously remove mask?"

Because they suck...
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2015, 07:21 PM)player Wrote: "Any theories why we unconsciously remove mask?"

Because they suck...

Yes, Player, they do......
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess technically they blow, but they also suck.

Suck and blow.
Post Reply Post Reply
WE???

I associate the mask or "nasal interface" with comfort. I've been doing this since 2008, and know what it's like to sleep without it. It has become comfortable, enabling and I couldn't sleep without it. Maybe it's a matter of time or a sense that you enjoy it, that the mask is not something to get away from.

True, it's an alien crawlling on your face for some folks, but I guess if you embrace it as it embraces us you'll get used to it. Resistance is futile.

[Image: latest?cb=20070619071016&path-prefix=en]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I never "unconsciously" removed my mask!
I knew exactly what I was doing when I ripped it off and tossed it on the floor.
Then had to get up to retrieve it because it was still attached to hose making that awful blower racket. It was calling my name....
You are right Sleeprider...."Resistance is futile."
Goodnight
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
How do you know you are removing the mask? It wakes you up or you going by data?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I hated my mask at the beginning of my treatment but it was because I didn't get along with a FFM and rather than anyone taking the time to let me try a nasal mask or pillows, they just kept changing the cushion size which made things worse and cost me a lot of money because the FFM I had isn't like my wisp that comes with 3 cushion sizes. I am glad I have 3 to choose from. I never use the largest one but I have used the smallest and the middle size (geez, almost sounds like The Three Bears)
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah I have a couple of guesses why some folks do that. I personally never have asleep but i have done it awake. And the wife has in her sleep a couple times.

One reason she and I both did it was to low a min pressure causing a smothering feeling.

With nasals masks or pillows nasal congestion happening during the night has smothered me woke me and off it comes.

Wife on one occasion pulled the mask off then woke up with a bad headache withing a min. If the mask is hurting you or you perceive in your sleep its causing you pain even if its actually something else I think it causes some folks to rip it off in their sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Can't remove cushion from Airfit F20 Lge SYS Quiet-EU4 mask. Reptile 4 573 02-26-2023, 03:29 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  How do I remove the diffuser on the F20 Quiet Air elbow? UncollapseMeThroat 6 1,436 09-28-2022, 10:58 PM
Last Post: UncollapseMeThroat
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,207 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
Ohmy Remove bottom of humidifier? (bugs inside!) princessamethyst916 8 1,512 06-22-2022, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 - How to quietly remove the mask Doogmeister 7 1,762 06-08-2022, 09:57 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Is there a way to manually remove flagged events from OSCAR? breathestopbreathe 2 583 04-21-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: David Clark

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.