Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any tips for fitting a ResMed P10 nasal pillow mask?
Any tips for fitting a ResMed P10 nasal pillow mask?
On Monday I'm going to be fitted for a P10. I know many of you use this style of mask. Any tips for choosing the best pillow size or other words of advice?

I'm only a month into therapy and have been using nasal masks. First an Eson (worked fine but too bulky) then a Wisp. I like the Wisp, but if I can do more minimal, it would be great. Work trying anyway.

The P10 will be my last chance to try a new style for a while (without going out of pocket) so I'd like to maximize the fit.

Also, can someone remind me what the recommended (lanolin?) lotion that is used. And how/why?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge-base.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any tips for fitting a ResMed P10 nasal pillow mask?
The P10 is my favorite mask and I can't wear it Sad

This does not work like a cork in a wine bottle, it is more like those caps with a clamp that locks them into place. Meaning, do not use a pillow that slides into your nostril, you will regret it, it will irritate your nose and you will end up coming back for advice and being told to use lanolin gel/cream until the soreness goes away - and it won't go away. Instead get a pillow that is just large enough to seal by sitting on the outside of your nostril. The silicon cones will inflate to conform to the shape of your nostril and plug the hole air tight without being inside. So, my advice is to go with the largest size that is not too large - i.e., doesn't seal or hangs over the sides of your nose. Second keep the straps no tighter than necessary to achieve a seal. there is one strap that is split in half lengthwise, you spread the split to loosen the strap and close the split to tighten - hard to visualize, but when you put it on you will understand, it is very easy.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2016, 10:44 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: The P10 is my favorite mask and I can't wear it Sad

This does not work like a cork in a wine bottle, it is more like those caps with a clamp that locks them into place. Meaning, do not use a pillow that slides into your nostril, you will regret it, it will irritate your nose and you will end up coming back for advice and being told to use lanolin gel/cream until the soreness goes away - and it won't go away. Instead get a pillow that is just large enough to seal by sitting on the outside of your nostril. The silicon cones will inflate to conform to the shape of your nostril and plug the hole air tight without being inside. So, my advice is to go with the largest size that is not too large - i.e., doesn't seal or hangs over the sides of your nose. Second keep the straps no tighter than necessary to achieve a seal. there is one strap that is split in half lengthwise, you spread the split to loosen the strap and close the split to tighten - hard to visualize, but when you put it on you will understand, it is very easy.

Thanks Frank. I understand the strap set up (which is hard to explain). Still a little mystified on the fitting. Are you saying a bigger pillow slides "more into your nostrils"? I'm not wrapping my head around that.

I'm hoping I can walk away with all 3 size pillows so I can experiment at home.

I'm very keen to try the P10. I'm not a mouth breather, so I'm hoping it's a good fit.

Bill

Post Reply Post Reply
No, the point of the larger pillow is to keep it from sliding into your nostril. It should sit outside of your nostril, and the silicone seal will inflate and seal against the edge of your nostril rather than going into it. That way it is more comfortable and doesn't result in the irritation that is frequently reported here. However, you don't want to go too large and have the edge of the pillow hang out over the side of your nose.

Size also affects how far apart the pillows are, so how far your nostrils are apart also affect the right choice. The P10 should feel like it is "designed to fit" your nose, it should not go in, the spacing of the pillows should pretty close to exactly match the spacing of your nostrils, etc. I can wear either Medium or Large, but the large feels a tiny bit more comfortable for me.

I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2016, 03:11 PM)FrankNichols Wrote: No, the point of the larger pillow is to keep it from sliding into your nostril. It should sit outside of your nostril, and the silicone seal will inflate and seal against the edge of your nostril rather than going into it. That way it is more comfortable and doesn't result in the irritation that is frequently reported here. However, you don't want to go too large and have the edge of the pillow hang out over the side of your nose.

Size also affects how far apart the pillows are, so how far your nostrils are apart also affect the right choice. The P10 should feel like it is "designed to fit" your nose, it should not go in, the spacing of the pillows should pretty close to exactly match the spacing of your nostrils, etc. I can wear either Medium or Large, but the large feels a tiny bit more comfortable for me.

I appreciate the clarification. This makes sense.

Assuming I get a good fit, I should not require lanolin or other creams/gels?

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
Correct, the P10 should make you happy, it is a very popular mask. The main issue with it is if you are a mouth breather, then there are several possible options, like using a chin strap, but you can cross that bridge when you get there.

And to be clear, you should not need lanolin, I have a tube that I bought "just in case", and never used, but it is only a few dollars at Walmart. It's available in the nursing mothers supplies section. It is used to soothe irritated nipples.
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2016, 03:27 PM)Spy Car Wrote:
(09-16-2016, 03:11 PM)FrankNichols Wrote: No, the point of the larger pillow is to keep it from sliding into your nostril. It should sit outside of your nostril, and the silicone seal will inflate and seal against the edge of your nostril rather than going into it. That way it is more comfortable and doesn't result in the irritation that is frequently reported here. However, you don't want to go too large and have the edge of the pillow hang out over the side of your nose.

I appreciate the clarification. This makes sense.

Assuming I get a good fit, I should not require lanolin or other creams/gels?

Bill

A good fit won't necessarily mean you won't need a lubricant. Mine fit fine but one nostril gets irritated if I don't use anything. Never a problem when I do and it doesn't do any harm to use it so I use a tiny bit in each nostril every night.. In fact it helps provide a good seal.

Post Reply Post Reply
My initial p10 came with all 3 sizes. You should insist on getting all 3. My DME looked at me and thought the small would be best. That lasted one night before I went to the medium. After several months I tried the large and liked it the best. Here's why.

The small did not let enough air in and I felt like I was "trying " to breathe. Also it was my first night on the machine and it was set on 4 cmH2O. Also started to irritate my nose.

The second night I used the medium. Much, much better. No irritation, and could get more air in. Of course I still was not used to the therapy in general.

After several months, I felt I was as comfortable as I was going to get. That's when I started with sleepyhead and making some comfort adjustments. That's when I tried the large. Much more air passing through and easier to breath. More leaks too, but very acceptable. Physical size caused it to rest on my upper lip but still no problem.

It seams like early in the therapy process, your (my) body is ever changing. Just for grins I went back to the medium. Now that is my new pillow of choice. I will keep a supply of both at all times.

Bottom line: try all of them and over and over again.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
The P10 full setup comes with all 3 sizes in the unopened package. Some suppliers do want to fit you in-store and seem to want to keep the two sizes you don't leave with. Ask for and take all 3. I measured as a medium, but the large was most comfortable. I am a mouth breather, so I'm experimenting with different masks, a chin strap, etc., to find something I can use consistently.
Post Reply Post Reply
Getting "fitted" for a P10 sounds bad. What ever the RT recommends, go up one size unless they recommend large. Hope you get all 3 sizes but walk away with the medium and large for sure. I don't like lubricants lotions or anything with this mask. Just keep it clean and it will seal properly. If it is the right size and doesn't move around, you won't have irritation. Good luck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 32 987 03-15-2024, 06:58 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 251 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 980 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,160 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,721 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 234 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,224 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.