Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any tips for fitting a ResMed P10 nasal pillow mask?
RE: Any tips for fitting a ResMed P10 nasal pillow mask?
You did change the machine from "Nasal Mask" to "Pillows," correct?
Post Reply Post Reply
spycar, what is the breakdown of the AHI? Any chance you can post a daily graph?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2016, 10:57 AM)edfreeman Wrote: You did change the machine from "Nasal Mask" to "Pillows," correct?

Yes I did, but thank you for asking, as it is the sort of mistake I might have easily made.

Bill
(09-23-2016, 12:03 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: spycar, what is the breakdown of the AHI? Any chance you can post a daily graph?

Hey Tom,

Here is last night's graph (the worst AHI yet).

Appreciate any insights.

Bill

[Image: 09_22_16Daily.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a screen shot of the previous night (better).

One difference was last night (6.64) I'd raised the Min. Pressure to 7. The previous night the Min. Pressure was 6 for (4.67 AHI). Not sure it that is a factor (or not). Last night I also raised the beginning pressure of the ramp.

[Image: 09_21_16Daily.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
People smarter than me will comment on your graphs.

I have read that rating pressure can result in CA's increasing. This increase can be temporary until your body adapts to the change.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Spycar, the graphs look great. Drop back on the EPR to 2 or 1 and it should clear up a bunch of those CA events. You can probably go ahead and set your max APAP pressure at 12 for now.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2016, 02:49 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Spycar, the graphs look great. Drop back on the EPR to 2 or 1 and it should clear up a bunch of those CA events. You can probably go ahead and set your max APAP pressure at 12 for now.

Tom,

The EPR is what makes exhaling easier, correct?

I remember how uncomfortable the test machine was (same ResMed 10 Auto I have now) when I used it (no relief).

So I'll try 2 first. Why does this help with CAs?

A graph can "look great" but have high AHIs? What looks good about the graph?

I feel very far from being able to read the significance of the data.

Bill

Post Reply Post Reply
No guarantees but pressure differential IPAP/EPAP tends to expel more carbon dioxide, which drives the respiratory rate for most of us. If I wanted to have a lot of CA, all I have to do is increase the pressure support on my bilevel. I recently reduced from 4 to 3 to kill off the CA. For me, it reduced the AHI from mid to high 2.x to less than 0.5. Pressure support is comfortable, but if it washes out the CO2, then there tend to be transient centrals. That is what I'm seeing in your data. As pressure gets higher and EPR at 3 is in full effect, you seem to have more events. So, the idea here is to see what we get with a bit lower pressure support (EPR).

Another point, is when you finish exhalation, you will have 1-2 cm more pressure to prevent OA events. Take a look at any of your events, and I'll bet they always occur after you exhale, and don't inhale. Obstructive or central, it is always true. Having that little bit of extra pressure at the end of exhale can make a big difference. Not to get too technical, but Respironics machines always return to IPAP by the end of exhalation, regardless of Flex setting. Resmed does not increase to IPAP pressure until you initiate your next inhale. Not everyone responds the same, but I'd be willing to bet, cutting EPR a bit will show an improvement.

This affect on AHI, and especially CA is not necessarily permanent. After some weeks or months, you might be able to add the EPR back in and not have a lot more events. It's part of the adaptation period, and if you did nothing it would probably slowly improve. You will have to judge if improving the "numbers" is offset by a loss of comfort.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2016, 05:22 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: No guarantees but pressure differential IPAP/EPAP tends to expel more carbon dioxide, which drives the respiratory rate for most of us. If I wanted to have a lot of CA, all I have to do is increase the pressure support on my bilevel. I recently reduced from 4 to 3 to kill off the CA. For me, it reduced the AHI from mid to high 2.x to less than 0.5. Pressure support is comfortable, but if it washes out the CO2, then there tend to be transient centrals. That is what I'm seeing in your data. As pressure gets higher and EPR at 3 is in full effect, you seem to have more events. So, the idea here is to see what we get with a bit lower pressure support (EPR).

Another point, is when you finish exhalation, you will have 1-2 cm more pressure to prevent OA events. Take a look at any of your events, and I'll bet they always occur after you exhale, and don't inhale. Obstructive or central, it is always true. Having that little bit of extra pressure at the end of exhale can make a big difference. Not to get too technical, but Respironics machines always return to IPAP by the end of exhalation, regardless of Flex setting. Resmed does not increase to IPAP pressure until you initiate your next inhale. Not everyone responds the same, but I'd be willing to bet, cutting EPR a bit will show an improvement.

This affect on AHI, and especially CA is not necessarily permanent. After some weeks or months, you might be able to add the EPR back in and not have a lot more events. It's part of the adaptation period, and if you did nothing it would probably slowly improve. You will have to judge if improving the "numbers" is offset by a loss of comfort.

I will try it, and thank you for the explanation. I'm mildly concerned that it was the feeling the machine was beating me to the punch (meaning hitting me with inhale pressure before I felt ready for it) that made the sleep study machine uncomfortable for me. In comfort terms, I like the machine following my breathing lead.

But I am in this to do the best for my health. So I'll make the suggested changes and report back tomorrow.

Thanks.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll look forward to your updates. I'm sure you will do fine, taking things gradually.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 43 1,362 03-26-2024, 03:19 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 159 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 100 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,229 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,874 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.