Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any tips for fitting a ResMed P10 nasal pillow mask?
RE: Any tips for fitting a ResMed P10 nasal pillow mask?
(09-16-2016, 10:08 AM)Spy Car Wrote: On Monday I'm going to be fitted for a P10. I know many of you use this style of mask. Any tips for choosing the best pillow size or other words of advice?

I'm only a month into therapy and have been using nasal masks. First an Eson (worked fine but too bulky) then a Wisp. I like the Wisp, but if I can do more minimal, it would be great. Work trying anyway.

The P10 will be my last chance to try a new style for a while (without going out of pocket) so I'd like to maximize the fit.

Also, can someone remind me what the recommended (lanolin?) lotion that is used. And how/why?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge-base.

Bill

Hello,

I have the AirFit P 10 , and I love it!
It is really much quieter than the one I tested before (DreamWear); I also have almost no leaks. I was a bit concern about irritation in the nostrils. Some people said on this forum to put a little Lanolin( Lansinoh) in your nose and I find that this tip was very helpful for me. I was first fitted with an XS pillow; it was a bit difficult to breathe, but not knowing much about it, I thought that it was what it was suppose to be... Again, after reading post on the forum (so much info in here), I ask the RT for the other sizes. Last night, I tried the medium one, OMG! What a difference it made!
It is so much easier to breathe in. I had a WONDERFUL day today, energy was there, it is so amazing! Winklong time no seeDancing It would be a good idea to ask at start for all sizes, thus you can choose which one is best for you, because I think it may make a difference in your treatment, as I notice it today!

That it is a good mask for me, I also find quite easy to keep it all night long, isn’t the purpose of a good CPAP treatment!
Good nights sleep to everyone!

I-love-Apnea-Board

Post Reply Post Reply
Good points with all these replies.
I tend to mouth breathe and was told I needed a full face mask.
FFM seem more prone to a leakage problem which complicates the diagnostics and can lead to false indications of CA and OA
Against advice I decided recently to try a pillow mask - Philips Nuance.
I have some difficulty overcoming the tendency to mouth breathe but the difference in comfort is astounding such that I intend to adapt to pillow masks.
As already mentioned INSIST on all three sizes - this is the way the mask is packed for retail and any suggestion it is not so is an outright lie.
Philips have a template and it shows me as a medium size.
I had a similar experience to Rcgop - I tried all three sizes and found the large size more comfortable so if RESMED have a template for fitting purposes you may have the same experience - so I suggest you try all three.
Mask fit is everything and must be tested under sleep conditions to evaluate properly so lie on your bed with your normal pillow and move your head from side to side , roll over etc. Inevitably the mask straps will drag somewhat and distort the facial structure slightly but enough to cause a leak. Tighten the straps sufficiently to minimise any leaks around the cushion.
The pillow mask is the lowest leak mask I have ever tried.
Early days for me but so far I have not needed a lubricant.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2016, 03:13 AM)hwka Wrote: Good points with all these replies.
I tend to mouth breathe and was told I needed a full face mask.
FFM seem more prone to a leakage problem which complicates the diagnostics and can lead to false indications of CA and OA
Against advice I decided recently to try a pillow mask - Philips Nuance.
I have some difficulty overcoming the tendency to mouth breathe but the difference in comfort is astounding such that I intend to adapt to pillow masks.
As already mentioned INSIST on all three sizes - this is the way the mask is packed for retail and any suggestion it is not so is an outright lie.
Philips have a template and it shows me as a medium size.
I had a similar experience to Rcgop - I tried all three sizes and found the large size more comfortable so if RESMED have a template for fitting purposes you may have the same experience - so I suggest you try all three.
Mask fit is everything and must be tested under sleep conditions to evaluate properly so lie on your bed with your normal pillow and move your head from side to side , roll over etc. Inevitably the mask straps will drag somewhat and distort the facial structure slightly but enough to cause a leak. Tighten the straps sufficiently to minimise any leaks around the cushion.
The pillow mask is the lowest leak mask I have ever tried.
Early days for me but so far I have not needed a lubricant.

I still mouth leak with a pillow mask as well, even though I use a chin strap. The comfort of the pillow mask more than makes up for an occasional mouth leak. I haven't had a large leak since changing to the pillow mask and chin strap combination, something I was never able to accomplish with a FFM or a pillow mask alone. My AHI has dropped to below 0.5 on most nights and the effects of my sleep apnea have all but disappeared.

It has been my experience that as long as the leaks don't affect your therapy or sleep quality, don't sweat the small leaks.

Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you "occasionally" breath through your mouth, I don't think that counts.

Hello, my name is Frank and I am a mouth breather, the major leaks rate with a P10 for me is around 95%.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is my graph from last night. I followed Tom's (Sleeprider's) suggestions and moved the EPR down to 2. I lowered the Max Pressure to 13. Min Pressure is at 7. Beginning Ramp Pressure at 5. Looks like 2 bathroom breaks.

Any thoughts?

[Image: screenshot-20160924-141059.png]

Post Reply Post Reply
Looks to me like Sleeprider gives good advice Smile
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
I never used anything such as lanolin. The mask is pretty basic and you just need to try the different pillows to see which ones fit the best. I use the large because I feel like I can't get enough air through the Medium, which is the better fit in my case. So it is a matter of personal preference and fit. If you are a side sleeper. I would not choose this mask as it comes off really easy when rolling over. I love the P10, but I can't use it because I sleep on my side.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2016, 09:54 AM)Adoniscmj Wrote: I never used anything such as lanolin. The mask is pretty basic and you just need to try the different pillows to see which ones fit the best. I use the large because I feel like I can't get enough air through the Medium, which is the better fit in my case. So it is a matter of personal preference and fit. If you are a side sleeper. I would not choose this mask as it comes off really easy when rolling over. I love the P10, but I can't use it because I sleep on my side.

As a 100% side sleeper I will beg to differ on your opinion. The mask works wonderfully for me and I have never had any problem with mask movement of any kind. This mask is by far and away the best mask I have ever tried . It is like being a normal sleeper all over again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, I'm a side sleeper too, and it works perfectly for me.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another side sleeper here who uses the P10.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 43 1,350 03-26-2024, 03:19 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 320 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,077 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,860 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.