Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any tips on Back-Sleeping with the Amara View?
Ohmy 
Any tips on Back-Sleeping with the Amara View?
I have figured out a sweet spot of adjustment for the Amara View to prevent it from leaking *as long as I sleep on my side*.  

But if I sleep on my back, it leaks.  What I notice is that my chin dips toward my chin, and the straps can't keep it pulled snug against my skin.  But if I tighten it more down there, it is too uncomfortably tight. 

Any tips? 

I try to adjust my buckwheat pillow to have my head tilt back.  But I just can't maintain that tilted-back position as I sleep.

I wouldn't care, but man it's jacking up my back sleeping on my side all night long.

(I've ordered the components to a F20, so hopefully it'll arrive soon so I can switch out of the Amara View.)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any tips on Back-Sleeping with the Amara View?
(09-07-2018, 12:07 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: I have figured out a sweet spot of adjustment for the Amara View to prevent it from leaking *as long as I sleep on my side*.  

But if I sleep on my back, it leaks.  What I notice is that my chin dips toward my chin, and the straps can't keep it pulled snug against my skin.  But if I tighten it more down there, it is too uncomfortably tight. 

Any tips? 

I try to adjust my buckwheat pillow to have my head tilt back.  But I just can't maintain that tilted-back position as I sleep.

I wouldn't care, but man it's jacking up my back sleeping on my side all night long.

(I've ordered the components to a F20, so hopefully it'll arrive soon so I can switch out of the Amara View.)

Would a cervical collar help to keep your neck extended
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2018, 01:19 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: Would a cervical collar help to keep your neck extended

Oh boy.  It probably would. But I'm unwilling (at least until I exhaust other alternatives). LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe a horsecollar neck pillow would help.   Perhaps even put it on backwards to keep your chin up. 

Sometimes sleeping a recliner can help with things.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Best of luck is all I can offer. I did use the Amara View for 3 months, 2 of which were on BPAP and 1 while getting started on ASV. I could never get the A.V. to adjust well enough for back sleeping. Comfortable? Yes, but stopping the leaks proved elusive to me with back sleeping. Side sleeping was acceptable, which was suitable to what my back requires and/or likes better anyway. Guess that's why I like my F20 so much better. It leaks minimally during side and back sleeping for me.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try re-adjusting the top strap.

I am using Amara View for some 2-3 months now, and my only problem is leaks when sleeping on the left side. Dont-know  Right and back are fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
do you have a hose hanger to keep the hose from pulling the mask sideways
Post Reply Post Reply
Hose management would be important, I had leaks from the weight of the hose.  
The Amara View is a mask that MEEDS a looser fit (NO mask should be "TIGHT") to seal properly.

As with all masks the fit is very personal and difficult to fit correctly.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to switch out from the Amara View.  I found that unless I had it TIGHTLY strapped on to my face (which was highly uncomfortable), it leaked...and when it leaked I couldn't catch my breath.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've minimized the leaks on mine using a diy liner.

Bag-head   snorybob.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 43 1,342 03-26-2024, 03:19 AM
Last Post: stevew168
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 813 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 203 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 250 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.