Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected
ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpK9FZmZAHE

Could anyone elaborate on what this might be? 

I made another thread earlier thinking it was the water chamber, but I was able to use a new one and get it secure.

The noise sounds like it's more coming from the left side with the filter, and is exponentially louder if the mask is not on my face. 

Machine is 2 years old and just started doing this today.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected
Be sure the humidifier chamber is locked in place and there are no stray air-leaks around the machine or tube leading to the mask. Normally I expect a problem with the motor to have a changing pitch with increasing and decreasing pressure, and I'm hearing what sounds like a vacuum. The pitch and air rate sounds like it never changes. Did you have the mask on? If you do not have a remaining warranty, Supplier #28 will replace the motor, recondition the air-path, calibrate and reset motor hours for about $220. It's unlikely to be anything the do not cover in that refurbishment service.

Edit: I looked again, and you were not wearing the mask, so the fan was running on full-leak. I'm pretty sure this is a bad motor bearing an is easily fixed. I'm sure when you wear the mask the sound changes with your respiration.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2024, 09:33 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Be sure the humidifier chamber is locked in place and there are no stray air-leaks around the machine or tube leading to the mask. Normally I expect a problem with the motor to have a changing pitch with increasing and decreasing pressure, and I'm hearing what sounds like a vacuum.  The pitch and air rate sounds like it never changes. Did you have the mask on?  If you do not have a remaining warranty, Supplier #28 will replace the motor, recondition the air-path, calibrate and reset motor hours for about $220.  It's  unlikely to be anything the do not cover in that refurbishment service.  

Edit: I looked again, and you were not wearing the mask, so the fan was running on full-leak. I'm pretty sure this is a bad motor bearing an is easily fixed. I'm sure when you wear the mask the sound changes with your respiration.

Thank you for your response Sleeprider. You are correct the noise is only when removing the nozzle from my mask to use the restroom, or taking the mask off while the ASV is still running. When I have my mask on, it is like my ASV is vibrating and making a very faint humming sound, but still sending air through.

That said I found a ResMed Replacement motor on Amazon today for just over $100 and it says it can be exchanged in about 30 minutes with a good Youtube tutorial does this sound correct? 

I only ask because I wouldn't want to be without my machine as I do not have a backup and it is less than half the price.

Thanks again.

kc
Post Reply Post Reply
On second thought I am going to contact Supplier #28 when they open, they seem to have very good YELP reviews and are able to do things such as reset hours etc I wouldnt feel comfortable trying to do on my own. I will just have to live without a machine for 7-10 days but it is worth it to have it repaired. Thanks again for your response Sleeprider, means the world!
Post Reply Post Reply
Many members have replaced the motor in their 10-series Airsense and Aircurve machines, and there are threads and videos that support how to do that. The motors are a direct replacement and use the existing silicone cover around the motor and connecting from the intake and to the humidifier section. Functionally, the DIY solution will get very good results and be indistinguishable from OEM. You have a very expensive machine, so in my opinion the authorized repair facility refurbishment is well-worth the extra $100 and shipping. The Amazon or Aliexpress motors work great. I chose to use Supplier #28 when my Vauto reached the motor life exceeded message. It's a new refurbished machine and goes along with my new insurance replacement as a standby and travel machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2024, 02:05 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Many members have replaced the motor in their 10-series Airsense and Aircurve machines, and there are threads and videos that support how to do that.  The motors are a direct replacement and use the existing silicone cover around the motor and connecting from the intake and to the humidifier section.  Functionally, the DIY solution will get very good results and be indistinguishable from OEM.   You have a very expensive machine, so in my opinion the authorized repair facility refurbishment is well-worth the extra $100 and shipping.  The Amazon or Aliexpress motors work great.  I chose to use Supplier #28 when my Vauto reached the motor life exceeded message. It's a new refurbished machine and goes along with my new insurance replacement as a standby and travel machine.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond Sleeprider. I spoke with them and they were very nice and after expedited shipping and parts/labor I'm at about $290. You are right with the cost of my machine I did not want to take the chance of messing anything up. I got it sent out about an hour ago so now just to survive the next 8-9 days without a machine, it's been almost a year since I missed a night so it should be interesting, but hopefully bearable.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's a shame to see everything increasing in price these days. I just got an email that Ring wants to increase their basic annual subscription from $40 to $50. I'll have to think about it. You have a machine with a replacement cost of nearly $3K. I think 10% is probably a good deal to refurbish to factory specs. I don't know how to advise about the next week or so without it. I have had a backup machine for quite a while just in case. If I were in your shoes, I would keep an eye on Marketplace or DotMed for an ASV that can be a standby. As you know now, the cost of full refurbish is not that bad.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2024, 06:12 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: It's a shame to see everything increasing in price these days.  I just got an email that Ring wants to increase their basic annual subscription from $40 to $50. I'll have to think about it.  You have a machine with a replacement cost of nearly $3K.  I think 10% is probably a good deal to refurbish to factory specs.  I don't know how to advise about the next week or so without it.  I have had a backup machine for quite a while just in case.  If I were in your shoes, I would keep an eye on Marketplace or DotMed for an ASV that can be a standby.  As you know now, the cost of full refurbish is not that bad.

Yeah probably a good idea to keep an eye out for a backup. And just to clarify the Supplier is only 230ish, The rest was to make sure it gets halfway across the country with UPS in less than 2 days lol. The shipping to get it back that much faster is more worth it for my sanity and health!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 12 424 Yesterday, 06:17 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,250 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 154 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 721 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 958 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  White/Brown Sound? MoneyPit1946 7 262 03-16-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: MoneyPit1946
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 264 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.