Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask
Question 
Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask
I’ve been alternating between the N30i and the P30i masks looking for a better fit. I had focused on getting the pillow size right and even tried both the standard and the small frames (I am a small woman). But it turns out the bigger problem is stopping the strap from riding up during the night. 

Tightening the strap squashed the pillows against my face. I tried using bobby pins but it was uncomfortable and tugged on my hair waking me up. 

I would love some tips on how to keep the strap in place.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask
You want this it works great with the mask you are using. Do a search for dreamwear headgear with wings.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a similar problem and one of my clinicians suggested a novel solution that seems to work. I normally wear my hair in a pony tail, so now when I put the mask on I pull the pony tail through the gap in the middle of the strap, and my hair keeps the strap in place.

-Neelix
Post Reply Post Reply
I too use the Dreamwear with arms headgear but still need something to keep it from sliding up during the night.   A ponytail bothers me when I turn over during the night, so before I put on the mask I section off my hair horizontally across the back, make a temporary ponytail of the top hair, put the P30i mask on with the headgear strap under the ponytail, then take the ponytail holder off and let that hair (which is fairly thick) hang down loosely over the back strap.  It does keep the mask firmly in place even though it's a pain to add one more thing to my nightly CPAP routine...  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't sleep with the hair elastic at the back of my head, so I always pull it down anyway so that it sits behind my neck, where for some reason it doesn't bother me. Now I just do that after putting on the mask and pulling my pony tail though the strap.

-Neelix
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I actually use the Airfit mask which doesn’t have wings. Will the Airfit cushions fit the Dreamwear headgear? I will definitely check it out. Sleep apnea is an expensive business. 

The ponytail idea is great except I have very little hair. Does anyone who is hair challenged like me have any experience with this kind if headgear?
Post Reply Post Reply
I was afraid you were going to say that. Hmm..
-looks at the P30i-
Two things come to mind... the first would be to tape or clip together the two sides of the strap that loop through the headgear itself. If you pull the strap taut, then move it up in the same way it would ride up you'll notice that where the strap loops through the headgear it pulls apart a bit as you move it up. If you can keep that from happening it may limit the movement of the strap.

The second idea would be to somehow run a loop of elastic from the back of the strap (perhaps where it splits in two) under the ear and around the front of the headgear.

Not sure how well either idea would work, but that's all that's coming to mind at the moment.

-Neelix
Post Reply Post Reply
That’s a thought. Will experiment with it tonight. I’m surprised that the flaw with the band riding up was not picked up by the manufacturer and for them to come up with a fix or an accessory to deal with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I, too, have shorter hair that is too short to be put into a ponytail.  I read on another forum about wrapping the headgear with Vet Wrap.  i went to a horse store and got some; it was quite inexpensive.  It's helped me with the same issue but I also "part" my hair horizontally and pull some of my hair above the headgear.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2021, 01:51 PM)ABQuilter Wrote: I read on another forum about wrapping the headgear with Vet Wrap.  i went to a horse store and got some; it was quite inexpensive.

Yes!  I'd read the same forum post and initially added it to my repertoire along with the Dreamwear with arms headgear and horizontal hair parting.  Eventually took it off as it was a bit of overkill.  The same veterinarian wrap can be found at most drug stores in the first aid/bandaid section and on Amazon as "self adhesive bandage" or "self adherent bandage".  

Also, to answer the question above about the "Dreamwear with arms" headgear fitting onto the N30i/P30i frame, it snaps very easily into the headgear slots on the N30i/P30i frame and is very unobtrusive to sleep with.  And it's relatively inexpensive on Amazon.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 43 1,342 03-26-2024, 03:19 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 365 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,101 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,282 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Question [CPAP] New to CPAP/APAP looking for Adjustment tips jster71 2 304 02-16-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 342 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
Question Just given a Phillips Dreamstation 2 the same day Phillips agrees to stop selling Montacute 39 1,465 02-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.