Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask
RE: Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask
Thanks Neelix. Could you possibly take another photo showing the entire frame? And did you use regular tape?
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, I only took the one photo and I no longer have the tape on. (Or that particular mask for that matter, my own machine was delivered this week and I picked it up today, so as of today I am no longer using hired equipment.) I mainly did that as a proof of concept as the ponytail solution works well enough for me normally. I used Body Plus sports strapping tape that I just happened to have on hand. (I believe I bought it at Chemist Warehouse) Not sure that's necessarily the best tape for the job but it seemed to work well enough at immobilising the headgear with relation to the frame. I can't speak for the durability of such a solution though.

-Neelix
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I’ll keep trying.
Post Reply Post Reply
One of the pluses of being around here for a long time is reading a lot of neat ideas.  The downside is trying to remember who posted it and when.  

Here is an idea that a member successfully used.  It should be adaptable to other mask types.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ap-for-FFM
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried the Dreamwear with arms headgear yet? It seems to be the most effective solution for other people with the sliding-up issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-08-2021, 03:59 AM)BobbieM Wrote: This is going to sound really stupid ABQuilter. I bought the vet wrap but can’t work out how to wrap the headgear so the back strap won’t ride up the back of my head. I tried wrapping the lower strap as you suggested but my hair is too slippery. So the band and the vet wrap just slid up the back of my head with my hair. 
And no, I won’t shave my head bald.

I'm sorry it didn't work for you.  Besides some of the suggestions posted here on this thread, try wrapping the narrower strip in vet wrap.  Maybe the two straps wrapped will work better than the one.  You could also wrap other parts of the strap, too.  Are you at all able to pull some of your hair over the back part of the headgear?  Or is your hair too short for that trick? 

I wonder why your hair is so slippery.  Could it be the conditioner?  I have no idea if conditioner actually makes hair more slippery (my hair seems to be more slippery after I use it) but it's just a guess on my part...

I hope you find a solution that will work for you!
Post Reply Post Reply
I pull the strap low, just below the curve at the back of the skull. The strap then cuts across the top of my ears, which is annoying, but the strap stays in place.  For what it's worth, I use a small frame and I have slippery hair. Before I made this adjustment, I tried tying a bandana over my hair, then putting on the headgear. That was some help but not enough.
Post Reply Post Reply
That’s a great tip CrimsonNape. Yes, it can be adapted. This is how I am adapting it for the minimalist AirFit. 

First find a wide elastic hair band. Not the small ones for ponytails but the bigger ones to keep hair off the face. Get one as wide as you can with sturdy elastic. 

Put it on your hair as you would if you were keeping hair off your face. Pull the front of the band down the forehead a bit. And instead of putting the band behind your ears as you would normally, put it over your ears. This will minimise the band’s contact with the slippery hair and help the band stay in place during the night. The entire band should circle the head with the lowest part near the nape. 

Add a strip of velcro on the headgear strap with the rough side facing the head. As this is an experiment I used double sided tape instead of sewing it on. 

Put it on. Now adjust the strap and hair band so the velcro attaches the two. The tension from the elastic in the hair band should stop it and the attached strap riding up the back of your head. 

I tried it last night and it seems to work. I’ll post again after a few more nights and report on progress (or failure). 

BobbieM
Post Reply Post Reply
Plakky, thanks. I have ordered the arms extension from Dreamwear to see if I could attach it to my AirFit. Hasn’t arrived yet. I’m hoping to avoid buying an entire new mask set if possible. I’ll see how it goes when the arms extension arrive.
Post Reply Post Reply
How about wrapping some sort of leash around the back strap of the mask and then doing the same to a soft cervical collar? Haven't tried this but I might tonight if I can find the appropriate leash. Don't wear a cervical collar? Maybe wear a neckerchief?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 43 1,346 03-26-2024, 03:19 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 365 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,104 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,282 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Question [CPAP] New to CPAP/APAP looking for Adjustment tips jster71 2 305 02-16-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 342 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
Question Just given a Phillips Dreamstation 2 the same day Phillips agrees to stop selling Montacute 39 1,466 02-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.