Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask
RE: Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask
I sure hope the Dreamwear with arms headgear will help, but I've reread your posts and have a couple of thoughts.  I have gone through so many mask/cushion combinations and understand your frustration so well!

I assume you use the small Airfit frame since you mentioned you are a small woman and have tried the medium and small frames.  I'm wondering if even the small frame is still a bit loose on you, adding to the riding up issue with the headgear.  (I have a large head for a woman and fairly recently switched to a small frame myself to eliminate leaks.  I was very surprised that the small fit my big head.)  I've made my own padding on the top part of the frame out of a piece of fleece material, mainly for comfort (was aware of the hose attachment plus silicone feel on the top of my head), but the right "grippy" material and maybe some thickness on the bottom of the frame against the top of your head might keep the frame from moving if that is at all an issue.  

One last thought.  You've said you can't make a ponytail with your hair, and that using bobby pins on your current headgear is uncomfortable. (Understandable.) Is there enough hair to put something secure - crossed bobby pins, a flat barrette - in the hair just above the strap to help keep it from riding up?  I'm sure you've already tried anything that might help, but wanted to throw these thoughts out.  Good luck and fingers crossed for the Dreamwear!
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the twine/leash attachment idea last night, with good results! Setting it up was a lot easier than I thought. I simply wrapped one end of twine around the soft back part of the mask that rides up, tied it off, and then with the mask and cervical collar in place, opened the velcro adjustment strap on the collar and ran the twine in, then closed the strap. This is for ease of removing the collar from the mask on midnight loo runs. Then, I looped the twine up over the mask again, wrapping it twice but not tying the string.

It was only one night and I slept soundly, but when I did wake up and checked the mask, the back hadn't slid up and the collar and mask remained attached all night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Finally I found something (or rather a combination of various somethings) that work. 

The Dreamstation headgear with arms works beautifully. Various online vendors told me that Dreamstation arms headgear is not compatible with AirFit frames and that I should not mix and match. I ignored them and bought the headgear on Amazon anyway. The headgear and the frame fitted each other and worked very well together. 

I tied what little hair I have just above the strap as double insurance against it riding up. But instead of using a barrette, I used a strip of VetWrap which is much more comfortable. 

Then the surprise. You are right Plakky. The small frame was too big for me. It never occurred to me that it might be a problem. I solved that by putting a "cushion" at the top of my head where the hose and frame connects, and everything is snug. Btw, I used the VetWrap to fashion the cushion.

For the first time in months, I slept well. (Oh as for why my hair is so slippery, it isn't the conditioner. I was born with straight silky hair. I'm told it's the kind wig manufacturers would pay top dollar for. Too bad I don't have much hair these days. It would be a reliably renewable source of income!!). 

Thanks everyone for your tips and help. The forum provides the kind is support that sleep techs and vendors have never offered.  

Bobbi
Post Reply Post Reply
like I'm glad you found something that works for you. Congratulations on getting a good night's sleep.  Smile

- Neelix
Post Reply Post Reply
I used the twine attachment to a cervical collar again last night. So far, so good! Good leak rate too.
Post Reply Post Reply
BobbieM, I was thrilled to read your success story this morning!

The Dreamwear headgear fitting the Airfit frame is one of those tricks previously mentioned in the forums that works like, well, a dream, but is unfortunately not generally known about. And the sizing variations of all these manufacturers and the different components (frames, cushions, headgear, straps...) makes the whole CPAP experiene extremely frustrating and unnecessarily expensive. (To think that I, a female whose head is too big to wear any hat made for a woman, would wear a size "small" cpap frame boggles my mind.) It was a last resort option for me and I'm glad sharing my thoughts helped you out.

Good luck and keep posting if your situation changes or you try new things - it's invaluable information!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm happy to hear of your success, too!  And that the vet wrap is still proving to be useful.

I wonder if I should try a smaller size frame, too.  Mine shifts a bit around my face. It's not a big deal but it is noticeable when I sleep on one side or the other.  I will think of that the next time I need to replace it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nicko says the Dreamwear nasal mask headgear works better as a mod, but Aprea claims it will not fit. I will order it anyway!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 43 1,348 03-26-2024, 03:19 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 367 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,108 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,283 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Question [CPAP] New to CPAP/APAP looking for Adjustment tips jster71 2 305 02-16-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 342 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
Question Just given a Phillips Dreamstation 2 the same day Phillips agrees to stop selling Montacute 39 1,466 02-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.