Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any using Medicare Advantage?
Money 
Any using Medicare Advantage?
I'm about to switch to an Aetna Medicare Advantage plan to gain dental, vision, and hearing coverage. Anyone have experiences to share; good, bad, or ugly?

I almost had a plan finalized Monday, but I don't have the Medicare and Medicaid combo, technically that is. Medicaid pays my Medicare B premiums, but I don't have Medicaid coverage. It's Big Gov, so of course it's complicated.

The Advantage plan will very likely be Medicaid paid as current FWIW.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any using Medicare Advantage?
Hi Dave,

Yes, my husband and I just went on a United HealthCare Group Medicare Advantage (PPO) plan as of July 1.  (He just retired on June 1.)  So far I am thrilled with it.  I have called them with questions numerous times, and have been able to very quickly talk to really nice ladies every time so far.  I have never encountered more pleasant, well-informed, and helpful phone workers.  It was one of them who told me that yes, we could definitely get free replacement pap machines due to the recall. She then put me on a three-way call with herself and a person from my DME, and we got it all set up then and there.  Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset machines are on order for both my husband and myself as a result.  They will send us the For Her versions if they get them in stock at the same time, or the regular version if those come in alone and first.

In our case, due to a former employer, not even his most recent one, the insurance is actually better than what we paid about the same for while he was working.  We now have zero copays on every medical appointment, hospital stay, urgent care, ambulance, etc., etc., and very reasonable copays for prescriptions.  We haven't used the dental yet, but it pays 10% more than our prior dental insurance.

I can't speak to Medicaid and how that works.  But I am VERY impressed with United HealthCare. like

I hope something works out as well for you!
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
I had Cigna Healthspring until I turned 70. It was a great plan but, as I am growing older and a hospital stay chance increases, I don't want to be hit with the possibility of up to a $5000 bill for each stay. I have since dropped back to standard Medicare with secondaries for the copay and drugs.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK copy, thanks. I had United Healthcare prior as my Medicaid insurance, so I might want to check them out. Right now I get Medicare A, B, D via Medicaid paying premiums. Just looking for best choice in getting dental, vision, hearing would be a nice bonus.

FWIW I get Medicare because of the Disability entry. Otherwise a 52 year old wouldn't be less than sedentary as I am.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My husband and I are with Humana Medicare Advantage PPO.  So far, it's been decent.  We buy through the Bakers & Teamsters Local Union that he belonged to while working.  

Annual deductible is $200.00 per year.  We also have dental and eye care.  If we use Humana mail-in  Pharmacy, we pay between $6 - $15 per script.  There are some exceptions. Any type medical supply is at 20% cost to us.

Our coverage is far better now than when we both worked.  My husband had full coverage, but in order to keep his wife (me) insured, he had to pay $600.00 a month.  I worked full time, but had no insurance coverage.

As you can see, Medicare coverage can be very different from one plan to another.  You just have to do research and choose what works best for you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks yep there's coverage all over the place for various dollars. Clear as mud of course.
Post Reply Post Reply
Of course, always clear as mud!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I forgot to add that depending on the county you live in, Medicate Advantage plans can differ or even not be available. I had to wait a year after I became eligible, because the plan I wanted was only offered in adjacent counties and not mine.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Up until a few years ago I had a BCBS Advantage plan, but switched to a BCBS Supplement plan (MEDEX2) which works better for me costwise and for selection health providers. The dentist I've gone to for many years didn't accept the BCBS Advantage insurance coverage and I wasn't going to switch dentists. I wasn't using many of the 'extras' provided by the Advantage plan. If you have a dentist or other health providers that you want to stick with make sure they accept whatever plan you are considering
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2021, 06:40 PM)OpalRose Wrote: As you can see, Medicare coverage can be very different from one plan to another.  You just have to do research and choose what works best for you.

Yep.  In our case, we have maybe the best coverage United HealthCare offers thanks to his having worked for Valero as one of the prior owners of the refinery.  The retirement insurance offered by Suncor, the present owner, is not nearly as good and costs more.  I thank God for the plan we now have.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 267 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  CPAP and Medicare and yearly Rx renewal silverchief2 8 292 04-08-2024, 06:58 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 241 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 269 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 996 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirMini and Medicare (USA) bwilson4web 0 283 02-01-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: bwilson4web
  Wiki conflict on Medicare/CPAP ownership cps22 14 740 12-17-2023, 10:08 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.