Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any way to count 'arousals' in Sleepyhead?
Question 
Any way to count 'arousals' in Sleepyhead?
Hi,

I've been using Sleepyhead and it works great to keep track of my treatment, as in see how sleeping position affects the number of apneas/hr.

I would like to count how many times I wake up per hour. I think this number is key in figuring out how well I slept and in tweaking my treatment. For me, it's pretty obvious that I woke up because my flow rate chart shows a few minutes of flow rate that are larger than usual. Is there a way to have Sleepyhead count these 'overflow' events? It would be awesome to be able to track #arousals in my data.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any way to count 'arousals' in Sleepyhead?
I'm not so convinced, that these "overflow" or hyperventilation events are in fact arousals ... there are much more obvious reasons for such things. (depending on you charts)
Post Reply Post Reply
Let me post some images...
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2017, 06:41 AM)TBMx Wrote: I'm not so convinced, that these "overflow" or hyperventilation events are in fact arousals ... there are much more obvious reasons for such things. (depending on you charts)

Here are a few examples:
[Image: dwztJaa.png]

[Image: McigISd.png]

[Image: whkA8mk.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
hard to tell without the mask-pressure, the flowlimitations and the leak-charts .... but the 1st might be SWJ ... the last two look like sleep!^^

If your machine can't score RERAs (if so look out for them^^): in the 2nd picture your machine might have scored one in the middle - although that looks (just from the flow) like a very clear artefact! (you might have been "awake" - in terms of sleep-stage - not awareness)
these 2 really look very much like you "simply" changed your position ... my machine would have scored them as artefacts.

If you really want to you can experiment with the userflags (to score the time after that ... maybe you can tweak that enough to fit your needs)
Post Reply Post Reply
DreamStation scores RERAs. SleepyHead will flag and display them in the Events chart on the daily screen and score them in the Details section in the left bar of the Daily tab. You may have to turn flagging for RERAs on in the Events tab of the SleepyHead preferences. After turning flagging on in the preferences, check to be sure it is turned on in the Flags drop down menu on the lower left side of the chart section in the Daily view.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses!

I'm pretty sure the 3 events I posted above are awakenings. I recorded my sleep sounds with SleepBot (iOS app) and sure enough I hear myself turning in bed at the the exact time my breathing is different.

I have RERAs turned on in Sleepyhead, and sometimes a few show up overnight. To me, the RERAs look like normal breathing, but I guess the machine found something!
Post Reply Post Reply
turning aroung in the night is completely normal ... not turning around at all is more of a problem^^.
and just because you do that does not mean that you are "awake". (speaking in terms of awareness)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is FLG Count? DanEm 1 452 09-12-2022, 11:56 AM
Last Post: pholynyk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.