Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anybody experience neck muscle issues from mask straps?
Anybody experience neck muscle issues from mask straps?
I started CPAP in August 2013. I have been using the SleepWeaver mask for the last several months.

I am wondering if anyone has experienced something similar to my issue and suspected it might have been caused by the straps from their mask.

A couple months ago I was doing some paperwork at a desk and the muscles on both sides of my neck seized up severely and I was unable to rotate my head in either direction for a couple days. I have mostly returned to complete mobility.

I do have daily issues with weakness though. The sensation that the muscles are pushing my head down. Raising my head during these episodes I can feel tension in those muscles.

The only way I can see to eliminate the straps as the cause and the continuing cause is to stop using the mask and seeing if the situation improves. That I know is a dangerous course of action.

I don't believe that I have the straps to tight. I do suspect that I might be effecting a nerve that is causing the issue. But that also raises the question of why two nerves (each side of the neck) equally?

Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anybody experience neck muscle issues from mask straps?
It might be something entirely different causing this. I have had that problem on the right side of my neck for over a year from sleeping on my side. Now that I sleep on my back with CPAP, it's getting better.
Post Reply Post Reply
As a multi-year long user, yes~! I've had issues when my straps were too tight, similar to 'sleeping wrong'. I do find it's key to adjust the lower strap of your headgear when laying down, as when you do it while sitting, it will be tighter than needed.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2014, 08:38 AM)remltr Wrote: I started CPAP in August 2013. I have been using the SleepWeaver mask for the last several months.

I am wondering if anyone has experienced something similar to my issue and suspected it might have been caused by the straps from their mask.

A couple months ago I was doing some paperwork at a desk and the muscles on both sides of my neck seized up severely and I was unable to rotate my head in either direction for a couple days. I have mostly returned to complete mobility.

I do have daily issues with weakness though. The sensation that the muscles are pushing my head down. Raising my head during these episodes I can feel tension in those muscles.

The only way I can see to eliminate the straps as the cause and the continuing cause is to stop using the mask and seeing if the situation improves. That I know is a dangerous course of action.

I don't believe that I have the straps to tight. I do suspect that I might be effecting a nerve that is causing the issue. But that also raises the question of why two nerves (each side of the neck) equally?

Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

More so than the straps, I'd do a little research on sleeping position and pillow. I don't think the straps would create so much tension on the neck that this would be a result. But sleeping in an odd position might, so start there.

If this situation continues, get with the docs as it may be something outside the realm of apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I think it is a consideration.
Some masks seem to cause me more neck problems than others.

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for responding.

I did a little test over the last couple nights. I slept without my mask. Hammer I know, not a good idea. But I did find that my neck issue did improve, although a far cry from being healed. Movement is less cumbersome. I guess the straps are tweaking a nerve or something.

And I don't know whether the straps were the initial cause of my neck issue, but I now know that it is causing it to continue.

Now the issue is how to resolve it, as I need the cpap, but don't know of anything as comfortable to use as the SleepWeaver and at the same time won't require some kind of head gear that contacts the area of the neck that I am having an issue with. Kind of caught between a rock and a hard place. Need time to allow the neck to heal and need to keep breathing.

I suppose I could just epoxy the mask to my face. Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
I have taken my mask (can't recall which one it was) to my PT to ask her if it was in any way causing any of my neck issues. Let me see if I can explain what she said.

The mask and straps are all attached at the same place. And that it would have to be really really tight to cause any issues. The straps are not attached to the chest, pulling the head down. It's attached to the face. The mask I had at the time, the straps were low, near the occipital bone.

Her concern for me wasn't the straps, but the way I was holding my head because of the mask itself. That probably in my sleep, I would feel the mask being pushed by the pillow and twist my head to relieve that push.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2014, 06:54 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I have taken my mask (can't recall which one it was) to my PT to ask her if it was in any way causing any of my neck issues. Let me see if I can explain what she said.

The mask and straps are all attached at the same place. And that it would have to be really really tight to cause any issues. The straps are not attached to the chest, pulling the head down. It's attached to the face. The mask I had at the time, the straps were low, near the occipital bone.

Her concern for me wasn't the straps, but the way I was holding my head because of the mask itself. That probably in my sleep, I would feel the mask being pushed by the pillow and twist my head to relieve that push.

That is a distinct possibility. Although I don't know what to do about except try a different mask that won't move around as much and may be uncomfortable to wear. Back to the epoxy. Grin

Post Reply Post Reply
The straps on my mask made my neck sore a little for the first few days of using it. The first day was because I had them way too tight. I have since loosened them to where the leaks stopped and it's better.

It would be nice to have different designs of headgear so you could get one that would actually fit your head.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a lot of issues with the Resmed headgear. They just didn't hold up and kept waking me up when the Velcro would not stay attached (on 2 different masks...one the same one you are using).

Maybe you could try a different mask...nasal mask and/or nasal pillows might be a good place to start.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 52 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 186 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 415 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  My Resent Experience: Momsworry 3 102 03-23-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 109 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 156 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.