Anybody had depression/anxiety improve with CPap?
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

RE: Anybody had depression/anxiety improve with CPap?
Welcome

cpap banished morning headache and morning fog and misery... that is a very big burden lifted. depression... depends on cause. it the cause is fatigue, then it may well do the trick Smile

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
02-23-2016 10:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
green wings Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics System One RemStar Pro (460)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: integrated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 13.0 cm

Other Comments: using CPAP since Jan. 2016

Sex: Undisclosed

Hi Abby. I have a long history of depression and anxiety. I just started CPAP therapy about a month ago. I have to say that I am definitely feeling less anxious.

It's probably too early to tell what the ultimate effect for me is going to be, but I feel hopeful. It's nice not to wake up with my body already feeling stressed. It seems to give me more capacity for dealing with stressful events when they come up. I have been taking the antidepressant mirtazipine/Remeron for the past year for depression, anxiety, and sleep issues. It works really well for me.

I have also noticed that my anxiety gets worse if I skip meals. I assume that's due to fluctuation in blood sugar.

I hope that you will see an improvement. I'm assuming that your anxiety is probably pretty severe if you are taking Xanax. Best of luck to you.
02-24-2016 10:35 AM
FredSchnoyd Offline

Members

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: FP 431
Humidifier: H5
CPAP Pressure: 12-20

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
I have had serious issues with anxiety that actually led to the discovery of my sleep apnea. There may even be a connection on some level between the two, in my case. Before CPAP therapy, I would wake up with attacks or episodes as I would call them because there was alot going on that may or may not have been purely an anxiety attack. Through a lot of trial and error with meds, xpap, and cutting my alcohol intake by about 2/3, the occurrences have been less frequent and less severe. However, the last few weeks have been virtually rest-less because of constant awakenings that do not always sync with respiratory sleep events. Mysteries I need answered as well.

My advice is; try hitting the problem from every angle because there never seems to be just one cause, or one solution. That is to say, talk to as many different doctors as it takes, but you must see a psychiatrist for the right meds, eat healthy, don't smoke, watch alcohol intake if at all, exercise, do things that reduce your stress and improve your mood, stay on top of your cpap therapy.
02-24-2016 12:14 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Gyddyup Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus; Quattro Air
Humidifier: built-in
CPAP Pressure: 12.8 - 17.0

Other Comments:

i think (hope) my previous anxiety issues may have stemmed from my constant state of being exhausted all day - or at least it exacerbated my anxiousness.

After four months of cpap i'm still feeling tired but nowhere near pre-cpap days and i'm definitely waking up feeling more refreshed. As of last week i've gone cold turkey off my anxiety meds (with my drs knowledge) and will see what happens in the coming months. will be good to have a baseline with cpap therapy and no meds to judge how i'm travelling.
02-24-2016 06:23 PM
Sacktime Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Resperonics Dreamwear
Humidifier: ResMed Airsense Heated w Climate Tube
CPAP Pressure: APAP 5-14

Other Comments:

(02-24-2016 06:23 PM)Gyddyup Wrote:  i think (hope) my previous anxiety issues may have stemmed from my constant state of being exhausted all day - or at least it exacerbated my anxiousness.

After four months of cpap i'm still feeling tired but nowhere near pre-cpap days and i'm definitely waking up feeling more refreshed. As of last week i've gone cold turkey off my anxiety meds (with my drs knowledge) and will see what happens in the coming months. will be good to have a baseline with cpap therapy and no meds to judge how i'm travelling.

FYI, it is not a good idea to go cold turkey on getting off Benzo's if you have been on them for any length of time, as you can have severe side effects which can be worse than your current anxiety levels. Work with your Doc and if you have side effects try a 3-6 month taper off plan.
02-25-2016 09:31 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
FredSchnoyd Offline

Members

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: FP 431
Humidifier: H5
CPAP Pressure: 12-20

Other Comments:

(02-25-2016 09:31 AM)Sacktime Wrote:  
(02-24-2016 06:23 PM)Gyddyup Wrote:  i think (hope) my previous anxiety issues may have stemmed from my constant state of being exhausted all day - or at least it exacerbated my anxiousness.

FYI, it is not a good idea to go cold turkey on getting off Benzo's if you have been on them for any length of time, as you can have severe side effects which can be worse than your current anxiety levels. Work with your Doc and if you have side effects try a 3-6 month taper off plan.

Step into my office.

Somewhat true but... You CAN go off benzos cold turkey. It just depends on how you are taking them. In my case, I only take lorazepam as needed, on and off for years, which is sometimes a couple or more a week and sometimes none for a week, for example.

That being said, yes, be careful of going cold turkey on ANY daily anti-depressant or anti-anxiety meds. Most of them need to medically supervised weening off. I have taken things like Paxil and Zoloft that will screw up your whole month if you try to just stop taking them ice poultry.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2016 10:24 AM by FredSchnoyd.)
02-25-2016 10:22 AM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(02-25-2016 10:22 AM)FredSchnoyd Wrote:  Step into my office.

Somewhat true but... You CAN go off benzos cold turkey. It just depends on how you are taking them. In my case, I only take lorazepam as needed, on and off for years, which is sometimes a couple or more a week and sometimes none for a week, for example.

That being said, yes, be careful of going cold turkey on ANY daily anti-depressant or anti-anxiety meds. Most of them need to medically supervised weening off. I have taken things like Paxil and Zoloft that will screw up your whole month if you try to just stop taking them ice poultry.

Dose and duration of benzo use is a factor in taper time. It can take 12 to 24 months for GABA receptors to up-regulate. Even then, the symptoms that put a person on benzos in the first place may return.

All benzos run the risk of status epilepticus upon withdrawal. That's a state of continuous seizure that leads to death. No one should cold turkey off benzos. ALWAYS be under a supervised medical plan with a physician when withdrawing from benzodiazapines.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-25-2016 11:06 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Weird Tolkienish Figure Online

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics Dream Station Auto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus FFM Medium
Humidifier: Respironics Dream Station Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 15?
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

Had very positive results, almost overnight with depression/fatigue. Could be placebo effect but I've felt 10 times better since starting therapy.
02-25-2016 03:54 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Any other clues to improve my AHI? jm54 1 291 10-01-2016 12:17 AM
Last Post: Ghost1958
Question Muscle Tone to Improve Apnea (OSA) catherinec 4 345 08-30-2016 06:04 PM
Last Post: storywizard
  Does AHI contunue to improve? NorthernGuy 12 1,167 05-31-2016 11:07 AM
Last Post: Asjb
  Help with settings to improve overly high AHI Jeffo1 12 1,274 05-29-2016 06:20 PM
Last Post: AndyB
  How to improve Hypopnea Index? thasan26 18 1,722 05-15-2016 07:26 PM
Last Post: shewhorn
  High anxiety and discomfort Tikka 26 1,558 04-15-2016 08:44 PM
Last Post: richb
  Pillow Anxiety Geniale 12 1,416 02-23-2016 12:21 PM
Last Post: AllenRx