Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anybody had depression/anxiety improve with CPap?
Anybody had depression/anxiety improve with CPap?
My doctor thought fatigue was due to depression. I have dealt with depression and anxiety for some time but noticed symptoms lately much worse. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea last week and think it's mild apnea. My pressures are between 8-11.
Wondering if anyone notice improvement with anxiety and depression following cpap especially if apnea was mild?
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anybody had depression/anxiety improve with CPap?
I don't think there are any scientific studies to support or negate your hope. For one thing it's hard to do double blind studies with CPAP.

In general (having suffered from clinical depression a couple of times myself) anything that improves your general health makes it easier to get out of depression. But if you have clinical depression it probably won't cure you on it's own all by itself. Although you never know.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Agree. How do you defeat depression if you are so tired that you can't stay awake, or at least would rather be napping?
I know I got pretty depressed when I was not sleeping more than an hour at a time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmph. I think my doctor thought my fatigue was due to depression. A different doctor suggested a sleep study. I have been on CPAP for a year now, and I feel much better. More alert, more energy. Lower blood pressure. Still have the aches and pains of getting old, though.
You may, or may not, have clinical depression, but not sleeping well almost certainly makes those symptoms worse. Find a mask that fits, use software to check your progress and tweak your settings for comfort, and you will feel better for it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't say that going on CPAP was the only reason I was able to get off Benzo's, but in my case I had severe apnea, went on CPAP, 3 months later felt much better so went on a 6 month program to taper off Benzo's. I am now 3 years pill free after being on Benzo's for 10 years.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses. I am now on two antidepressants and anxiety medication. Don't feel good about that at all. I was hoping maybe this cpap would help me enough to at least get back down to just one med. I had just taking Wellbutrin for years now they added cymbalta and Xanax. Last night was my first night on cpap and wasn't too bad. I didn't wake up with a headache and didn't wake up at 3am like I always do so I feel hopeful. Thanks again for the responses.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have been having morning headaches regularly for me my Dr said they were from retaining CO2, CPAP stopped that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleepyabby,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you much success with your CPAP therapy and hopefully, you can get off the meds and that you feel better and more rested, soon.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for the warm welcome!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2016, 12:11 AM)Sleepyabby Wrote: My doctor thought fatigue was due to depression. I have dealt with depression and anxiety for some time but noticed symptoms lately much worse. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea last week and think it's mild apnea. My pressures are between 8-11.
Wondering if anyone notice improvement with anxiety and depression following cpap especially if apnea was mild?
Thanks!

It fix my Sleep Anxiety, I used to have a terrible time going to bed I would lie down and could not get my mind to relax, and I would feel like I was suffocating , This anxiety issue reared it's ugly head just as I finished my sleep studies and I could not wait to get that equipment (kinda like a kid waiting for Santa to come).After a couple of good nights on the cpap I really lost the anxiety issue and really looked forward to going to sleep.
I wished I would have started cpap many years ago.
I never really had it long enough to turn to depression so I can't comment on that.
Remember it does take a little time to adjust to the cpap way of life and everybody learns it at a different pace.
Stick to it!
Good Luck
and remember there are alot of helpful people on this site.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 190 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,273 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 521 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Improve Respiratory Rate? MrIvanDrago 4 341 02-16-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Anxiety/elevated HR at beginning of night Jskier 1 212 02-11-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Improve my CPAP Performance dpoelker 4 258 02-06-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Extreme Anxiety during day after CPAP usage...something physiological? gohoos1998 9 710 12-29-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Leedsunited92

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.