Anybody know what these pressure pulses are for?
surferdude2 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

Sex: Male

RE: Anybody know what these pressure pulses are for?
Some things may never have a logical explanation. Reporting this anomaly and checking for any opinions is the right thing to do. I don't suggest you ignore it altogether but do suggest that you enjoy the fact that the therapy is doing what it needs to and you are free from OA's, CA's and Hypops. It would be nice to have an answer but it may not happen. It may just be some software anomaly or some machine firmware problem, who knows at this stage.
06-13-2015 03:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

If you are sleeping good and feeling good with the pressure setting you have, and your AHI is less than 5, and the only "symptom" is that weird alien blip, leave it. Keep watching it but unless something happens, don't be overly concerned about it.

If you are not doing one or more of those above things, then let's see what else is going on and try to help you with it further.

As for changing it to straight CPAP for just one night, that's not enough time. That's just one night. Unless you were absolutely miserable all night and can definitely say it was the CPAP setting that did it, leave it alone. Give it at least a week to see how it goes.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-13-2015 06:48 PM
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

The PRS1 device that I have (Model 560) and all the others I have ever seen has a periodic analytical pressure shift that ramps up over 3 minutes and then ramps back down over 1 minute. It happens about every 9 minutes. I am surprised yours is not similarly shaped.

Each pressure change command is represented by PRS1_01, so one occurs at each shift. So there are three of these in the waveform you captured - http://i.imgur.com/XQv1xOJ.png.

An example from my history is shown below, seven occur in the hour between 22:20 and 23:20.

[Image: n9IvpFP.png]

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
06-14-2015 11:31 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Terry Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips Respironics RemStar Auto with A-Flex (560P)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P/R Nuance & Pap Cap
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: Auto
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(06-13-2015 06:48 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  If you are sleeping good and feeling good with the pressure setting you have, and your AHI is less than 5, and the only "symptom" is that weird alien blip, leave it. Keep watching it but unless something happens, don't be overly concerned about it.

I'm not concerned about it, just interested, especially since they correlate with an undocumented data channel. It would have been nice to be able to name it and update SleepyHead.

I was hoping someone who is good at reading the flow would look at it and say "sure, that's just marking the <whatever> events"

Also, if they didn't actually serve any purpose, I would have set my machine for straight 15 with no auto, however they do seem to be doing something.
06-15-2015 11:21 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Which disturbs sleep most? High Pressure or Changing Pressure Rcgop 7 1,281 11-10-2016 07:37 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
Gross [Pressure] Pressure pulses driving me insane blannan 4 427 09-28-2016 08:53 PM
Last Post: Want2SleepInMT
  Lower max pressure affecting pressure increases Rcgop 9 720 07-17-2016 07:03 PM
Last Post: green wings
  I pressure/E pressure - cause/cure - on CAs Rcgop 1 535 06-17-2016 08:47 PM
Last Post: richb
Gross treatment pressure higher than the setting pressure debby2242 24 2,017 04-03-2016 01:34 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  ResMed Airsense 10 pulses as if something hit the hose? Ed1101 39 2,735 03-24-2016 05:21 AM
Last Post: Asjb
  Pressure pulses pupcamper 5 717 01-29-2016 04:32 AM
Last Post: AshSF