Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anybody still use these things?
I made a mobile out of some and offered to give it to Mrs. SD. She said, "Wouldn't that plug up the toilet." I get no respect...tsk tsk Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
A couple of months ago I got rid of about 500 of them. Donated them to our church youth for their parking lot sale. One of them told me someone bought all of them. I did wrap a box of 25 and kept it. It is the perfect height to serve as a stand for the light in our church's sound booth.

BTW, I still have an 8 inch floppy from an old word processing machine and a clock made out of a 15" hard drive platter.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2014, 11:38 AM)justMongo Wrote: Actually, I still use them. However, I have about 100 still new in the box.
I have to use an external drive that plugs into USB.

What I really need is a 5 1/4 floppy external drive. I have some 5 1/4 floppies with source code and executables from decades past that are modified from old NASA and Naval Research Labs (NRL) codes. I failed to copy them to newer media as things evolved.

Yes, I am imaging what R_G will think the thread title means.

@Pollcat -- you're just a few miles north of where my father was born and raised.
He was from Ravenswood Indiana (a neigborhood in north Indy.)

Call your local public school district... they probably have one in a closet somewhere. Often Universities store and then auction stuff like that. I have seen 5 1/4 drives in a school storage in the past few years.
Post Reply Post Reply

You need the software to read the 5 1/4" Floppy Disks, too! I can't imagine that format data are still implemented in modern systems. The other issue is that disks not used 10+ years maybe not more readable.

Greetings
Fat Rat
Post Reply Post Reply
The drives are readily available on Ebay. Probably the operating systems will handle them just fine, because they never throw anything away. But the hard part is you will have to come up with a computer that has a motherboard capable of handling the old ribbon cables that they used. And of course come up with the ribbon cable itself.

Any external drives used a proprietary cable to connect it to the computer, so there again you need not only the drive, but the computer.

I probably have such, because like Microsoft I never throw anything away. I just get bigger boxes to put stuff in.
Post Reply Post Reply
Motherboards no longer come with floppy interfaces.
I have a machine at home that's 5 years old; and I upgraded it to Windows 7. It has a 3.5 inch floppy drive in it.
I had a 5.25 inch floppy drive in a drawer; but round-filed it.
If I still had it, I could install it in the 5 year old Dell.

I've seen some 5.25 inch drives for sale -- they want an arm and a leg for them.
Likely my friend in Nevada has a 5.25 inch drive in his 25,000 pounds of surplus junk.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Ebay has a plethora of them. Seems like average price around $50.00. One ad is for lots of 10 for only $299.00, or something like that. Just think: you could go into the 5 1/4" floppy drive business.

Hmmm... I wonder if Mark could interface them to Sleepyhead.............. I'm sure Resmed would be happy to.
Post Reply Post Reply
I still have a Commodore 128 with one drive build in, one extra. But it could read dd-disks only but the data format was free programable: Kaypro, Epson, Zenit ... MSDOS. Someday I will test it ... I will heat to 100°F before starting because of the old lubricant.
I just remember I am a very old rat ... and I am Off Topic off Topic.

Fat Rat
Post Reply Post Reply
Offer withdrawn, since a member has graciously volunteered to take them off my hands. Whistle
Post Reply Post Reply

(09-23-2014, 01:40 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: A couple of months ago I got rid of about 500 of them. Donated them to our church youth for their parking lot sale. One of them told me someone bought all of them. I did wrap a box of 25 and kept it. It is the perfect height to serve as a stand for the light in our church's sound booth.

BTW, I still have an 8 inch floppy from an old word processing machine and a clock made out of a 15" hard drive platter.

Homer

Oh my gosh! An 8 INCH FLOPPY DISK?!?!? I used to work at Mentor Graphics and when I started, waaaaay back in 1985) that was media we used to send out programs.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  All Things Sauerkraut goodonya 39 5,934 02-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Last Post: me50