Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone Else Have This Issue?
Anyone Else Have This Issue?
My scalp breaks out in sores and they seem to line up a lot with where the headgear straps ate on my head. I do wash the headgear of course but the sores come and go. At this time they itch and there are more everywhere than I think I have ever had. It does not help that I admit pick or scratch them to bleeding. I will be bald if this does not get resolved. Any one else ever have this? I think headgear iis a connection. BedDreaming I don' take headgear off but I think I might scratch in my sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone Else Have This Issue?
Try using MG217 Medicated Tar Ointment (Google it)... works wonders for itchy, dry skin and other skin problems. Put some on the affected area very lightly every night. It will soak into your straps, so you'll have to wash those out on a regular basis.

Also, wash your hair with T-Gel tar shampoo (again, Google it).

Once the sores go away (after several weeks), use a good quality skin moisturizer around your scalp areas.

And, of course, don't scratch. Wrap socks around your hands at night to prevent your fingernails from scratching your head unknowingly during sleep.

Your mileage may vary. Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I get this if I sleep in one position. More in the winter because I just cover up and stay warm. It is like a small scalp pimple. I had a few that were very tender and we had to pad it against the strap. I don't recall intense itching, though.

I used to use the T-Gel shampoo a long time ago (as in 20yrs).
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Beauty,

The only recommendation I can give is to try using a perfume free, color free, everything free, laundry detergent. There should be several of these available at your local grocery.

Even if you don't get a reaction from your clothes, your headgear is sitting tight against your skin for, hopefully, nearly eight hours a night. Combine that with some irritation and a little sweat and your skin may be sensitive to your detergent.

I know when I travel and have to have laundry done at the hotel I itch like hell until I can get home and re-wash everything.

Best of Luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey SBT, it could be that the soap you are using to wash the headgear might not agree with your system. I have very sensative skin and break out from most detergents, deodorants, soaps, etc. When you wash the headgear you might want to try some of the no perfume baby shampoo or something instead of just dishsoap or whatever. Sorry but that is really about the only thing I can think of. Hope you feel better soon!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all. I have T-Gel and used it recently actually. I think the itch is the healing. I do use Costco Kirkland all free laundry detergent now. I also have used Paul Mitchell tea tree shampoo and conditioner. I wash headgear in ivory bar soap or Baby shampoo. I don't sweat much anywhere. Last to sweat if ever in a sauna, and not as much as others. have not used a sauna in yrs but that is what it was like when I did. I once got acrylic nails so I could not scratch my haed but I hate the smelll of them the cost and inconvenience. i also think they are not healthy. Sox? I'll give it a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
For people with chemical sensitivities, especially with soaps and detergents, Ivory soap is one of the worst things to use.

Had a friend in college whose dad was an allergist. Which came in handy since, once I left the farm and was buying whatever was cheapest, I was having reactions to a lot of things. I thought Ivory soap would be the best. Not. I thought Dreft baby detergent was good. Not. (one of the worse rashes ever) Johnson's baby shampoo made my hair fall out.

Even now I have to be careful of what I use. It's one of the reasons I clean my gear with vinegar solution vs soap. I tried those CPAP wipes but couldn't breathe it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use Five Star Cal-Ben "Pure Soap" (bars)... supposed to be all natural with no weird additives. Not cheap, but it's less harsh on the skin.... and it smells good. Happy Eyes

It's helped my wife's psoriasis a lot, along with the MG 217 stuff.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ivory soap....hummm had no idea. The baby shampoo is not Johnsons. but similar. I use white vinegar alone too. My sister is purist vegan and when she comes to visit Nov 1 she will have her shampoo and detergent that will be very pure. Wonder why they can go away for months then come back. I do know lemon juice and grapefruit also get me. I don't wear my mask on my toes or shoulder blade but get welts there sometimes like now. Weird body, is me. I used T gel today. I wash hair nearly every day. Some may think too much but I have to wash out products. yes, I use hair gels and thermal spray and stuff to style.....could be a combo of stuff, but I don't wear it real short but not med or long. Guess you would call it short. Mostly, if I didn't scratch or I hate to be gross, pick they could heal better. Embarrassing to admit my secret under my hair. I would never give up my c-pap or mask so I gotta live with and work with the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
1) We need to know the exact mask you're using. Manufacturer name and model.

2) Try putting something between you and the headgear. Something like some T-shirt fabric. There are people who make headgear covers for sale. One is called pad a cheek. I'd try rolling my own first to see if it helps.

3) While you might try different types of cleansers, don't think "vegan" or "natural" stuff is necessarily the cure. We tend to be allergic to animal or vegetable products more than we are allergic to "synthetic" chemicals. Allergies are caused by our immune systems running away, and our immune systems tend to react to the "natural and organic" chemicals in germs. For instance, many people are allergic to natural latex rubber, but they usually aren't allergic to polyisoprene, the chemical that actually makes natural rubber. The tiny amount of plant proteins in natural latex is what produces the reaction.

Pure hot water and some gentle chemical detergent cleaners may be good. Rinse, rinse, rinse over and over with hot water. You might even try rinsing with something like alcohol to dissolve any remaining oils, but be sure it won't damage the strap material. I probably wouldn't use the washing machine, but washing machine detergent, hand washing, and lots of rinses wouldn't be a bad idea. You probably aren't allergic to your washing machine detergent, or you'd be breaking out all over from your clothes.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 0 43 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 113 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,413 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,376 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 105 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  hypertension issue PaulaO2 19 667 03-04-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 1 186 03-02-2024, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.