Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone Ever Try This?
Anyone Ever Try This?
Has anyone, who have been using cpap every night for no more than, say, 3-4 months and who felt they were getting no real benefit or minimal benefit tried this as an experiment: NOT using the cpap for a night to see how you felt as a comparison?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone Ever Try This?
Nope! If I get horizontal, I get hosed.

10 months and I am still not where I want to be. But progress is slow for some (like me) but there has always been progress.

Baby steps. Sleep-well
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
The closest I came to trying to stop was not my doing. I was without backup power and had no elect service. I now have back up power and a backup machine. I do not like feeling so tied to this but for me just the way it is.

I like waking up without my head in pain.

Hopefully you can have a night without cpap with minor problems only.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
I never did it with the intent you describe. However, I have left home not intending to spend a night elsewhere or even two, and yes I can say I feel crappy without it.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
I slept without mine about six months in for two nights when my machine broke. My throat hurt from snoring and my brain did not work well. No thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started CPAP back in May 2016..

During that period I have slept on occasion without using my CPAP machine, both at night and during day time sleep sessions.

I have spent a night camping without CPAP as well, though I'm in the process of setting up a battery pack for camping use so that I can stay compliant with the CPAP condition that is part of retaining my commercial driver's licence.

I'm on a fixed pressure of 7, and my average AHI over the last six months is 1.4 and averaging 07:10 hours per night.

I'm rated as "moderate sleep apnoea" and suffer no issues when I sleep without using my CPAP machine for a night, the only thing that worries me about missing a night is the need to stay compliant for my driving licence.

EDIT:

I probably should say that although I feel that I sleep as well, or even better, without CPAP...

Everyone is different in how they need to manage their apnoea.

There is some question as to whether my diagnosis is actually correct, and I will be doing another full sleep study during the first half of this year.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't do without mine because I like to sleep well, and it sure helps me do that; even if I take a nap I use it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Occasionally I fall asleep reading (no mask on) and if I go a significant number of hours before I wake up again I feel like absolute crap the next morning.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.