Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone Familar Wth
Anyone Familar Wth
I have my prescription in hand (after much wrangling) and will be heading off to the DME to rent (not buy) a machine and mask. My doctor has recommended a ResMed AirCurve Vauto. The prescription looks incomplete though based on what I've read here.

It does not offer a "PS" number or what mode it needs to be set to (Vauto? S?) All it says is
IPAP: 15
EPAP: 11

Do the DMEs use default settings if nothing is written? I am fine if they do, just want to understand where we are starting.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone Familar Wth
While I'm not familiar with that model number, a quick google search shows that this machine automatically sets the pressure levels.

While I can (sort of) understand your not wanting to share your gender, it would really be helpful to know where in the world you reside. Especially since the script calls for renting a machine instead of purchasing one.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2016, 11:42 PM)MeDee Wrote: I have my prescription in hand (after much wrangling) and will be heading off to the DME to rent (not buy) a machine and mask. My doctor has recommended a ResMed AirCurve Vauto. The prescription looks incomplete though based on what I've read here.

It does not offer a "PS" number or what mode it needs to be set to (Vauto? S?) All it says is

Do the DMEs use default settings if nothing is written? I am fine if they do, just want to understand where we are starting.

It is incomplete. For auto mode, it should have IPAPmax, EPAPmin, and PS.

The implied PS is 4. The AirCurve Vauto could be set to "S" mode which is fixed bilevel.

The problem with the ambiguity of the Rx is: They may try to pass off a machine that's not capable of auto mode.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2016, 12:10 AM)justMongo Wrote:
(03-02-2016, 11:42 PM)MeDee Wrote: I have my prescription in hand (after much wrangling) and will be heading off to the DME to rent (not buy) a machine and mask. My doctor has recommended a ResMed AirCurve Vauto. The prescription looks incomplete though based on what I've read here.

It is incomplete. For auto mode, it should have IPAPmax, EPAPmin, and PS.

The implied PS is 4. The AirCurve Vauto could be set to "S" mode which is fixed bilevel.

The problem with the ambiguity of the Rx is: They may try to pass off a machine that's not capable of auto mode.

I thought all Resmed Aircurve Vautos were capable of Auto mode? As well as fixed "S" mode. So how would the DME pass off another machine if that is what is written on the prescription?

But your note re: ambiguity suggests to me that the doctor has not made it clear whether the machine is supposed to be set in Auto mode (which would require a PS#????) or S Mode (which would require what other info???)

Is this something that I should call the doctor's office to clarify?

PS. This is what was written on the titration study report. It too leaves me wondering: AutoMode? S Mode?
"Regular use of Bilevel PAP at 15/11 cm of water should effectively treat the patient's sleep apnea. If breakthrough
respiratory events are noted on this pressure then Auto Bilevel with min EPAP of 11, Max IPAP of 20 and PS of 4 cm of water
should be considered."
Post Reply Post Reply
My guess is that the DME will set all the missing things to the standard settings. So Auto and not "S", PS of 4 and everything else left at default, because there is basically no way for them to know what you need there anyway. Bring the titration study with you and they can refer to it if need be.
I think you will be fine to start off. Use the machine and get back to us on this thread about how the first night was, how you felt, did you us the masks all night, if not why not.

We can help you tune up the comfort settings and make sure your therapy setting are doing the job. Make sure you have sleephead installed and a SD card reader all set to go.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2016, 12:33 AM)MeDee Wrote: PS. This is what was written on the titration study report. It too leaves me wondering: AutoMode? S Mode?
"Regular use of Bilevel PAP at 15/11 cm of water should effectively treat the patient's sleep apnea. If breakthrough
respiratory events are noted on this pressure then Auto Bilevel with min EPAP of 11, Max IPAP of 20 and PS of 4 cm of water
should be considered."

I read that as trying S mode first with fixed pressures of 15 IPAP and 11 EPAP; with fallback to auto with min EPAP of 11, Max IPAP of 20 and PS of 4 cm of water.

The Rx for a VPAP Auto makes sense from this report summary.

The DME should give you the correct machine. All I'm saying is you hold the power over the DME before taking delivery. Some will try to maximize profit by dispensing a machine with lesser capability.

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2016, 01:18 AM)justMongo Wrote:
(03-03-2016, 12:33 AM)MeDee Wrote: PS. This is what was written on the titration study report. It too leaves me wondering: AutoMode? S Mode?
should be considered."

I read that as trying S mode first with fixed pressures of 15 IPAP and 11 EPAP; with fallback to auto with min EPAP of 11, Max IPAP of 20 and PS of 4 cm of water.

The Rx for a VPAP Auto makes sense from this report summary.

That was my guess, although I can see how someone might come to the opposite conclusion (start me with auto vs fixed). Bringing in the full sleep lab report is a good idea (which is why I pushed for a copy).

Basically, I think I'll just jump in with both feet. I wish the suggested pressure settings had been tested in the REM state (there were only 3 REM stages and the settings they used produced AHIs from 50-80). The fact that the 15/11/0 settings showed no incidents at all (0 OSA, 0 Central, 0 Hypo for 12 minutes gives me hope). Why he/she kept moving me up afterwards all the way through 22/17/0 is a mystery. Possibly they need to test all the settings?
Post Reply Post Reply
The settings they chose for me were based on 16.8 minutes of sleep with no REM.
And those settings were less than effective.

That's why I'm running an auto VPAP.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.