Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone Familiar With CPAP Hardware? Trying to repair a non working machine
Anyone Familiar With CPAP Hardware? Trying to repair a non working machine
My Philips Respironics Bipap AutoSV Advanced no longer works. There are no Philips service centers in the country i live in and importing one from the US would cost a small fortune not to mention take 10-14 days to arrive. Switching to my previous Auto CPAP resulted in my first migraine in years, and if the past is any indicator, i expect it won't be long before i start losing higher cognitive function. For now i'm hoping it's something i can fix before i turn into a blithering idiot.

It was working perfectly fine the previous night, never showed any signs that it might be "dying out" during the 3 years i've been using it, but since then every time i switch it on it gives me four short beeps followed by a continuous beep and a vague message on the display that says "Device Inoperative". The service manual says nothing other than "replace PCA". There are no menus and nothing works.

After partial disassembly, there appears to me no leaky caps, loose wires or anything obvious. however i notice there's a battery on the mainboard next to the serial connector. makes sense, how else would it keep track of blower hours despite power loss?

Now this is a long shot, but i'm working under the assumption that if the battery just up and died after so many years of use, the machine would no longer be able to collect stats for insurance purposes and that it might show a message similar to mine in this scenario.

The battery appears to be either glued or lightly soldered onto the pcb and prying it off completely might result in some breakage and headaches requiring resoldering. simply disconnecting the -ve end (and presumably clearing the nvram) has failed to yield anything positive.

i guess i'm pretty much lost and in unknown territory here and am looking for any feedback from someone more knowledgeable on how i might go about this.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone Familiar With CPAP Hardware? Trying to repair a non working machine
There is a service manual available for your machine in the Private Files and Links Forum.
Click on the highlighted Members-Only Files.

Once you download the manual, look on page 6-11.

Good Luck!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The SD card will contain some error codes, but I don't know how to read them. Maybe the service manual will be some help.

I also had a PRS1 fail after about three years.

If you check our Supplier List there are some companies who repair CPAP machines.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
While it will take some time, Supplier #2 often has good deals on lightly used and new ASV Auto machines like the Aircurve 10 ASV and Philips Dreamstation BiPAP Auto SV. They are very good at shipping and overseas shipping, so it's worth a call and placing an order. I don't think replacing the CMOS battery will fix everything, and has downside risks. Supplier #27 (Accurate Biomed Services) is an authorized repair facility for your device. If you can call them at 800-376-5660, they can at least answer your question as to the likely repair. To me, it sounds like you need a new main board. This company will talk to you and you can choose whether to send them the repair or not, but they will also tell you if replacing the coin battery is worthwhile.

Here is the Apnea Board Wki on Error codes http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...rror_codes
First thing to try for most errors is a new power cord.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2019, 07:22 AM)OpalRose Wrote: There is a service manual available for your machine in the Private Files and Links Forum.

Good Luck!

Having a little trouble determining what you're referring to. the 2 service manuals for my device and a similar one both have the table of contents on page 6 and nothing pertinent from pages 7-11. or is it the testing TOC i'm meant to go over?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2019, 08:11 AM)Sleepster Wrote: The SD card will contain some error codes, but I don't know how to read them. Maybe the service manual will be some help.

I also had a PRS1 fail after about three years.

If you check our Supplier List there are some companies who repair CPAP machines.

didn't realize that. will take a closer look at the sd card and see if there's anything useful there.

unfortunately the logistics of shipping to another country, the unknown cost of repairs (and shipping) are why i'm looking for simpler solutions. something to consider once i get a replacement machine but right now i'm dreading the vicious cycle of exhaustion and the inability to think straight.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2019, 08:24 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: While it will take some time, Supplier #2 often has good deals on lightly used and new ASV Auto machines like the Aircurve 10 ASV and Philips Dreamstation BiPAP Auto SV.  They are very good at shipping and overseas shipping, so it's worth a call and placing an order.  I don't think replacing the CMOS battery will fix everything, and has downside risks.  Supplier #27 (Accurate Biomed Services) is an authorized repair facility for your device.  If you can call them at 800-376-5660, they can at least answer your question as to the likely repair.  To me, it sounds like you need a new main board.  This company will talk to you and you can choose whether to send them the repair or not, but they will also tell you if replacing the coin battery is worthwhile.

Here is the Apnea Board Wki on Error codes http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...rror_codes  
First thing to try for most errors is a new power cord.

yup. secondwind are the only ones i can afford tbh.

the philips worked and worked well. anything different about the aircurve 10 i should know about? a bit wary of the unknown. looking back, something was off about my tweaks to the philips' settings until i set (i think) the rise time to auto. is there something similar on the resmed?

seen the error codes before but determined i'd need a serial cable to read the nvram. weighing quick fixes at the moment. will probably end up doing this and taking a closer look after i get a replacement machine.

the power cord is a good idea and possibly won't take too much time. will try giving accurate biomed a call too, thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2019, 08:34 AM)jbsix Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 07:22 AM)OpalRose Wrote: There is a service manual available for your machine in the Private Files and Links Forum.

Good Luck!

Having a little trouble determining what you're referring to. the 2 service manuals for my device and a similar one both have the table of contents on page 6 and nothing pertinent from pages 7-11. or is it the testing TOC i'm meant to go over?

Once in the Private Files and Links Forum...scroll down to “Additional Repair Service Manuals and Tech Sheets.”
The manual for your machine is about six down.  Download the manual.
Chapter 6, page 6-11
Article 6.1.7 Replacing the Main PCA.

This may not be cost effective for you, or the part may be hard to find, but worth a try.

See your PM (private messages)
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2019, 08:58 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Once in the Private Files and Links Forum...scroll down to “Additional Repair Service Manuals and Tech Sheets.”
The manual for your machine is about six down.  Download the manual.
Chapter 6, page 6-11
Article 6.1.7 Replacing the Main PCA.

This may not be cost effective for you, or the part may be hard to find, but worth a try.

See your PM (private messages)

ah thanks. had a look online and got no hits for the part number. surprisingly can't even find "for parts" cpaps on ebay. guess it was too optimistic to think that it might be as ubiquitous as laptop parts.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sadly nothing i tried worked:
  • replaced the adapter: no change.
  • inserted a new memory card: no data written to it during the error.
  • changed the battery: no change. (logically there are likely to be additional steps an authorized service center might take when replacing the battery to for e.g. reconfigure the time and blower hours.)
At this point i'll be replacing my machine first. then i may as well take my time trying to glean more info from the nvram. it would be great if i could get it working as a spare.

Appreciate the input guys!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 86 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 93 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 298 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 620 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,721 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 372 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.