Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone Familiar With CPAP Hardware? Trying to repair a non working machine
RE: Anyone Familiar With CPAP Hardware? Trying to repair a non working machine
This might not help but if you had a resmed s10 series, autoset, aircurve, whichever, they all use the same blower motor and they are all exchangeable. Recently I bought a really used up VAuto to replace my autoset 10 as a backup, the motor in that had cigar smell and was whistling, i took the motor out of my 5,000h autoset and put inside the 2nd VAuto. Everything works just fine.

On a side note, to those interested. Motor in S10 series don't have a chip inside them, the 'run hours' are from a chip on board the mainboard, you can change the motor to a new one but the 'run hours' will not zero down.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2019, 02:19 PM)crowtor Wrote: This might not help but if you had a resmed s10 series, autoset, aircurve, whichever, they all use the same blower motor and they are all exchangeable. Recently I bought a really used up VAuto to replace my autoset 10 as a backup, the motor in that had cigar smell and was whistling, i took the motor out of my 5,000h autoset and put inside the 2nd VAuto. Everything works just fine.

On a side note, to those interested. Motor in S10 series don't have a chip inside them, the 'run hours' are from a chip on board the mainboard, you can change the motor to a new one but the 'run hours' will not zero down.

Mine's a Philips but still a useful tidbit to know. I know next to nothing about the hardware on these machines and i imagine there isn't much out there in the way of cpap 'hacking'.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2019, 07:07 AM)jbsix Wrote: Mine's a Philips but still a useful tidbit to know. I know next to nothing about the hardware on these machines and i imagine there isn't much out there in the way of cpap 'hacking'.

The only difference between the PRS1 machines may very well be the firmware.

No one has figured out how to hack into firmware, as far as I know.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2019, 08:41 AM)Sleepster Wrote: No one has figured out how to hack into firmware, as far as I know.

but is this is due to a lack of trying (since cpap hardware is comparatively less ubiquitous) or due to security implementations in place to prevent tampering with the firmware?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2019, 11:43 AM)jbsix Wrote: but is this is due to a lack of trying (since cpap hardware is comparatively less ubiquitous) or due to security implementations in place to prevent tampering with the firmware?

Both, I think. But I don't really know. I do know that there is a proprietary cable used by DME's to do things like set the time on a PRS1, and possibly make at least some firmware updates. If indeed all it takes is a firmware modification to turn a PRS1 brick into an ASV, or anything remotely like that, it would be very closely protected.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Felt a little better yesterday so i went through the service manual from top to bottom and completely disassembled, cleaned and reassembled my device. Just adding info here in case it helps someone.

Regarding the error itself, the "device inoperative" message i'm getting on my ASV Advanced is a 'stop error', and there are only so many stop errors listed in the service manual.

But to identify the specific error by reading the error log stored in the nvram, you need a link module (available), a com cable and respironics' service software (unavailable except to those authorized to repair). Figuring out how to probe the nvram without the software is beyond my abilities.

I can try replacing some parts that tend to be prone to failure (battery, capacitors) but one of the stop errors ("not configured by functional tester") leads me to suspect that the error will persist even if these were the cause of the error. that is until an authorized tech can reconfigure with the service software.

Quote:If indeed all it takes is a firmware modification to turn a PRS1 brick into an ASV, or anything remotely like that, it would be very closely protected.

I haven't taken apart any other cpaps but it is plausible that they all use the same or similar mechanical parts with the firmware being chiefly responsible for controlling the therapy mode. turning a cpap into an asv or avaps with a simple fw modification or low cost 3d printed part replacement would both hurt the profits of the companies developing these technologies and have the potential to cause harm if done incorrectly since this is a medical device we're talking about. personally i think it is primarily the former as evidenced by the ludicrous cost of these devices and the dumbfounding need to lock down a battery that will inevitably fail. this sucks for people like me who either don't have easy access to respironics service centers or can't easily afford a 2nd one.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 95 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 96 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 312 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 634 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 203 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,749 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 384 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.