Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone cured and not using the CPAP anymore?
RE: Anyone cured and not using the CPAP anymore?
I lost 100 pounds from a high of 300, dropped to 200 after bariatric surgery, still need therapy for Apnea. Before and after diagnostic were 78 AHI down to 39 AHI after the weight drop.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone cured and not using the CPAP anymore?
Dogdemon - ironically, sleep apnea itself can cause weight gain because your metabolism slows to reduce your oxygen need at night because your oxygen levels are reduced. Hence weight gain. So being on apnea can, in itself, sometimes help with weight loss (though not always).

mt17191 - I feel that your suggestion that there is a cure for EVERY case of sleep apnea is simply wrong. Lifestyle changes can definitely improve mild cases of obstructive sleep apnea, which is why they're often used in people with low AHIs and minimal symptoms. But there's also a reason why xPAP is so often prescribed, to manage (not cure) the issue. If it were as simple as that, nobody would need xPAP. Plus, not all sleep-disordered breathing will respond to simple measures. Like SarcasticDave, I have severe central sleep apnea and no amount of breathing through my nose will fix that.

Absolutely, some people can reduce their AHI to a "treated" level with certain lifestyle changes, especially if their OSA was mild or triggered by medication etc. That may make them effectively "cured". But in most cases, management is the more usual course.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Health] No CPAP anymore ! ABACON 3 370 02-07-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: apapnoob
  Sleep isn't pleasant anymore can anyone take a look at my data? Tina88 5 710 03-08-2023, 08:29 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Have a philips bipap- machine won’t let me change PS anymore? Zoltyzolt 4 1,025 05-23-2022, 01:32 PM
Last Post: sawinglogz
  Resmed air curve 10 vauto machine not detecting sleep time accurately anymore?? 17WRX 21 1,631 12-19-2021, 06:26 PM
Last Post: 17WRX
  Feeling as if I am not getting enough air and not sleeping well anymore RosieB08 6 1,144 04-12-2021, 05:55 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Has anyone been cured of obstructive sleep apnea after tonsillectomy? Russatrice 24 6,466 01-04-2021, 07:52 PM
Last Post: joeyjernigan
  [Diagnosis] CPAP not working anymore A.G. Layton 13 2,131 02-07-2020, 03:02 PM
Last Post: Geer1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.