Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone else bombarded with smells when taking your mask off?
RE: Anyone else bombarded with smells when taking your mask off?
I've noticed the 'smell' factor too, not so much when we have window air conditioning unit running, but definitely when the weather is kind enough to have the windows open for fresh air. How often are we supposed to change those little white filters or whatever color your filters are? How does one get filters for "allergies"?
Post Reply Post Reply
check out my post about this. It just happened to me with new machine last week. Have had an allergic reaction to it best I can tell?

I made a post about this as well, Problem with new REMstar auto.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2015, 05:17 PM)MikroTx Wrote: check out my post about this. It just happened to me with new machine last week. Have had an allergic reaction to it best I can tell?

I made a post about this as well, Problem with new REMstar auto.
You mean this thread? http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...Mstar-Auto
-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
I've noticed I have a better sense of smell and less sinus issues since going on CPAP. I think part of it is we are breathing filtered air. I really notice it when I take my mask off and one of the cats has left a present on the tile.

Just an observation with no real scientific or medical facts to support it.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
Flowers = Good
Burnt Toast = Not Good
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2015, 11:47 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: One thing I do notice, is that if I go to my in-laws house for a night with my CPAP, then come back home, immediately upon turning my CPAP on, it smells like their house for the first few minutes. That filter must be catching stuff. It's not a bad smell, but just a different smell. Maybe my nasal pillows are helping me to smell it better, not quite sure.

You can stay a night at my grandma's house. The stink of old and mothballs will be burned into your brain.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Two things I've noticed. 1. The smell of my boyfriend's antiperspirant is so much stronger when I take my mask off. 2. If he farts while we're in bed, it's REALLY intense into my hose.

Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2015, 07:30 AM)GrammaBear Wrote: How often are we supposed to change those little white filters or whatever color your filters are? How does one get filters for "allergies"?

It is recommended by ResMed to discard (rather than clean/reuse) an S9 filter.

I change S9 hypoallergenic filter monthly. (Every second month I receive 2 filters from my DME: "S9 FILTER, HYPO, 2 PACK" REF# 36856.)

If I forget and go 2 months between changes the filter is visibly clogged.

If we don't have insurance coverage we can order online from many sources generic "standard" and generic "fine" filters which are the right size for the S9. I suppose quality may vary, depending on where the generic filters are bought.

Years ago when I used the "regular" S9 filters I would change them every month also, but I think the S9 setup manual (Clinical Guide) says to change the filter at least every 6 months, which I think would be way too long if using the "hypo" filter.

My filter gets dirty within a month or two since I keep my windows open, bringing fresh air and dust into the house 24/7.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
My RT said to take the filter out and flick it with my finger each week. I don't know if that is scientific. YMMV!
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I'm wondering if a good wash of the mask in the morning would 'help' solve your issue?? Just a thought...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 142 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Taking a sleep test while on CPAP? hydra 4 323 02-21-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  Taking Home sleep test with snore guard HenryECole81 2 686 10-27-2023, 08:01 AM
Last Post: eok361
Ohmy [CPAP] Doc taking forever to give me new CPAP settings or BiPAP Apnea45 22 3,354 08-23-2023, 07:17 AM
Last Post: Apnea45
  [CPAP] Taking a look at my chart :) hbvlr 1 445 07-13-2023, 08:35 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New user keep taking off mask while sleeping hexlabsnick 4 603 06-18-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: hexlabsnick
  Taking my VAUTO to recess coldfeet7 13 1,556 05-06-2023, 02:12 PM
Last Post: coldfeet7

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.