Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Almost divorced over CPAP
RE: Almost divorced over CPAP
It seems to me like I read somewhere here on the board that the machines with the word PLUS is a brick and the ones with the + symbol are data-capable machines, yes?
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2015, 08:13 PM)SassySW Wrote: Wow, thanks for all of the replies. I checked the bottom and it is a 260P. My husband made an appointment for another sleep study in two weeks. I hope we get some new and useful information. He knows he's changed and it bothers him very much. There have been several emotional meltdowns in the past year over this. Thank you so much for trying to help!
Hi SassySW,
I wish your husband good luck at his next study and this time, hopefully get a newer data-capable machine. Here is a link for which machines to buy and which ones to avoid: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
Good luck to you both.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I also support you in finding a solution.
From what you say it looks like he wants to find a solution too, so I would add my voice to getting a decent data capable machine with as many of the extra features as you can i.e.
Data capable, Auto pressure adjusting, Exhale pressure relief, Humidifier, heated tube, Start up pressure ramp to name the ones I most enjoy.

After you get a data capable machine , get the Sleepyhead software, read the data and own the treatment. we can help you understand what it is telling you and as indicated already. With this data you can quickly start to understand what is causing the issues.

Also- do not accept the first mask if he cannot keep it on. Sounds like he has real mask issues and they are real, not "just in your head" or "needing some time to settle down". If a mask is not working for you, you know almost from the first night though it is usually fair to give it a week - there are plenty of masks to choose from.

When he is at the next sleep study get him to try several different masks through the night - they should have a range of the different types to try. I refused the nasal pillows at my first study as the thought of the prongs in my nostrils turned me off - but now that is my preferred mask. Get him to give all the mask styles a go that could possibly work for him (Caveat - if he is a mouth breather then any nasal type will be out etc)

I personally have 4 different masks I use for different reasons (when I have allergies, when I have a cold etc) which I know will work for those times. It is trial and error from what I can figure out to find a mask that will work. Everyone is different. If your insurance will not spring for it, have a look at our suppliers list ( http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List - I have used 1 and 10 and found them good - others use other suppliers and are happy as well) and try one or 2 - Search this forum as there are extensive threads on the various more popular masks to give a clue before you part with the coin.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2015, 08:13 PM)SassySW Wrote: Wow, thanks for all of the replies. I checked the bottom and it is a 260P. My husband made an appointment for another sleep study in two weeks. I hope we get some new and useful information. He knows he's changed and it bothers him very much. There have been several emotional meltdowns in the past year over this. Thank you so much for trying to help!

Read the Useful Links in my signature line below. If you want CPAP to work, you really need a fully data capable machine, which your 260P isn't.

There's info in there about which machines I recommend. Be sure and get a copy of your prescription. You might have to fight with your supplier or buy out of pocket online to get a good machine. Still a lot cheaper than a divorce.

Glad to hear he's working at it.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW, quite a few of us find the medical system pretty useless at helping with CPAP. You may have to do a lot of management of your own healthcare to get it right.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
260P is not a bad machine, it just gives you so little feedback info that it is hard to make decisions and judgements about current and future health care needs. if you do get a newer nicer machine, keep the 260P around as a backup.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2015, 01:54 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: 260P is not a bad machine, it just gives you so little feedback info that it is hard to make decisions and judgements about current and future health care needs. if you do get a newer nicer machine, keep the 260P around as a backup.

QAL

I agree with this, but would add that the data can have a positive reinforcement effect on a patient that may not "feel" the benefits of their machine, or that want to be more involved in their treatment. By not engaging patients in their own care, I think the risk is they just drop out. That seems to be the case with Sassy's husband. By visualizing the benefits, and becoming involved, I think that apathy is less likely.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.