Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Anyone else experience this?
wxmcpo,

We have hijacked your thread. How are you coming along? Are things improving for you? Let us know.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
07-18-2015 10:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
richb Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 ASV
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
Humidifier: Built in
CPAP Pressure: Epap 6 Ipap 8 Auto ASV

Other Comments: Idiopathic Central Apnea

(07-18-2015 10:50 AM)PaytonA Wrote:  wxmcpo,

We have hijacked your thread. How are you coming along? Are things improving for you? Let us know.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

I was hoping that this thread would be a dialogue with several of us participating. I would like to see a screenshot of wxmpco's sleepyhead data.

Rich

Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead
07-18-2015 01:45 PM
wxmcpo Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto
Humidifier: Heated (attached to machine)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto

Other Comments: Looking forward to a good night's sleep

Best Regards,

PaytonA

No worries on the hijack. I am enjoying the discussion and if it helps anyone (even if it's not me) then that is a good thing.

After putting Pressure Support at 4.0 and TiMax at 3.0 I was getting AHI's in the single digits. I raised Pressure Support to 5.0 and my AHI shot up to 29.37. So I reset Pressure Support to 4.0 (TiMax was still at 3.0) and my AHI went down 8.10 so I thought I had something figured out (leave Pressure Support at 4.0 and TiMax at 3.0), but the next night my AHI shot back up to 22.54. I will admit this has frustrated me because I have been on therapy now for six weeks and it just doesn't seem to be working as well as my buddy who has been on therapy for about three weeks (he has AHIs consistently below 1.0). This frustration has led me to not wear my mask the last two nights.

(07-18-2015 01:45 PM)richb Wrote:  I was hoping that this thread would be a dialogue with several of us participating. I would like to see a screenshot of wxmpco's sleepyhead data.

Rich

Rich,

I actually posted two screenshots back on page two of this thread. However, here is my most recent night's data (two nights ago because I haven't worn my mask the last two nights out of frustration).

[Image: QW03RuVl.png]
07-19-2015 04:26 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
richb Offline

Advisory Members

(07-19-2015 04:26 AM)wxmcpo Wrote:  

Best Regards,

PaytonA

No worries on the hijack. I am enjoying the discussion and if it helps anyone (even if it's not me) then that is a good thing.

After putting Pressure Support at 4.0 and TiMax at 3.0 I was getting AHI's in the single digits. I raised Pressure Support to 5.0 and my AHI shot up to 29.37. So I reset Pressure Support to 4.0 (TiMax was still at 3.0) and my AHI went down 8.10 so I thought I had something figured out (leave Pressure Support at 4.0 and TiMax at 3.0), but the next night my AHI shot back up to 22.54. I will admit this has frustrated me because I have been on therapy now for six weeks and it just doesn't seem to be working as well as my buddy who has been on therapy for about three weeks (he has AHIs consistently below 1.0). This frustration has led me to not wear my mask the last two nights.

(07-18-2015 01:45 PM)richb Wrote:  I was hoping that this thread would be a dialogue with several of us participating. I would like to see a screenshot of wxmpco's sleepyhead data.

Rich

Rich,

I actually posted two screenshots back on page two of this thread. However, here is my most recent night's data (two nights ago because I haven't worn my mask the last two nights out of frustration).

[Image: QW03RuVl.png]

Thanks for sharing your latest data. Your data looks quite a bit like mine. I also did not use my machine last night. I have been taking my blood pressure many times during the day. Yesterday after a night on the machine I got 152 over 101. This AM with no machine I got 125 over 82. I will try that again with the machine tonight. It does seem that the machine is aggravating my CAs. Looking at your chart it seems that leaks and snoring have no impact on your CAs. Research has shown that CPAP and Bi-Pap are not effective in controlling CAs. ASV machines can be effective in that they encourage breathing during CA episodes. Both you and I may be candidates for other kinds of treatment. Medication, ASV or both. Comments?

Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead
07-19-2015 07:51 AM
PaytonA Online
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0

Other Comments:

The only thing that I know of that might reduce your CAs with your current machines is to reduce the PS to very little or maybe zero. You could try it for a night or two to see what happens. This is assuming that you are using your Vauto in Vauto mode. If you are using it in S mode, adjust the IPAP so that it is close to the EPAP or the same. If using CPAP mode, turn off the EPR.

Other than this, I do not know of anything that might help CAs with your current machines. If no help, take your data to your doctor and discuss the need for a BiPAP with a back up rate.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
07-19-2015 12:52 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
richb Offline

Advisory Members

(07-19-2015 12:52 PM)PaytonA Wrote:  The only thing that I know of that might reduce your CAs with your current machines is to reduce the PS to very little or maybe zero. You could try it for a night or two to see what happens. This is assuming that you are using your Vauto in Vauto mode. If you are using it in S mode, adjust the IPAP so that it is close to the EPAP or the same. If using CPAP mode, turn off the EPR.

Other than this, I do not know of anything that might help CAs with your current machines. If no help, take your data to your doctor and discuss the need for a BiPAP with a back up rate.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

I tried a night of straight CPAP at 9. No significant difference.

Rich

07-19-2015 02:43 PM
wxmcpo Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto
Humidifier: Heated (attached to machine)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto

Other Comments: Looking forward to a good night's sleep

(07-18-2015 10:50 AM)richb Wrote:  Thanks for sharing your latest data. Your data looks quite a bit like mine. I also did not use my machine last night. I have been taking my blood pressure many times during the day. Yesterday after a night on the machine I got 152 over 101. This AM with no machine I got 125 over 82. I will try that again with the machine tonight. It does seem that the machine is aggravating my CAs. Looking at your chart it seems that leaks and snoring have no impact on your CAs. Research has shown that CPAP and Bi-Pap are not effective in controlling CAs. ASV machines can be effective in that they encourage breathing during CA episodes. Both you and I may be candidates for other kinds of treatment. Medication, ASV or both. Comments?

I haven't tried taking my BP with or without using the mask, but I agree and don't believe that leaks have any bearing on my CA events. I wore my mask again last night and actually wore my chin strap to help prevent leaks thinking that may be causing issues. It definitely did prevent leaks and my AHI did go from 22.54 back down to 12.04, but the only think constant about my AHI number is it hasn't ever been constant in my six weeks of therapy. I still had numerous CA events throughout the night. Here's my sleepyhead data from last night.

[Image: cOtnVpdl.png]

One question, what does mask pressure tell me?

Another thing I really don't understand is here's another shot of last night's data, but to show the AHI throughout the night. If you look at my AHI spike it was early in my night's sleep (which is actually really typical looking at my data) but it doesn't correlate to where I have my most events. I would think that where I had the most events I would have the highest AHI numbers, but that's not the case.

[Image: GsFq4ill.png]

So why do the highest AHI's typically happen within the first couple of hours of sleep? Is it just the body getting used to therapy for the night? I typically will have a second spike later in the night closer to when it is getting time for me to wake up. Also why wouldn't high number of events correspond to high AHI?

(07-19-2015 12:52 PM)PaytonA Wrote:  The only thing that I know of that might reduce your CAs with your current machines is to reduce the PS to very little or maybe zero. You could try it for a night or two to see what happens. This is assuming that you are using your Vauto in Vauto mode. If you are using it in S mode, adjust the IPAP so that it is close to the EPAP or the same. If using CPAP mode, turn off the EPR.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

By PS I am assuming you mean Pressure Support. I will give that a try tonight and lower it from 4.0 to 3.0 and see what that does. I'll report on it tomorrow.

Actually now that I think about it, isn't Pressure Support the difference between EPAP and IPAP? So if I have a Pressure Support of 4.0 and my EPAP is 4.0 that would make my IPAP 8.0 correct? So lowering Pressure Supprt would actually make these two closer if my thinking is correct. I would think I wouldn't want to lower that since most nights my EPAP is typically around 5 and my IPAP is around 9 according to ResScan. I would think lowering the PS (if by PS you mean Pressure Support) would actually not help in this case and may make my night a little tougher. Thoughts?
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2015 02:55 AM by wxmcpo.)
07-20-2015 02:47 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

AHI graph does correlate to when you have the events - it gets high when you have the events, and does not decrease until exactly an hour after each event, thus tracking how many events occurred in the last hour.

you are correct - lowering the pressure support does change the difference between inhale and exhale. given just that change (from 4 to 3), you would find ResScan reporting EPAP around 6 and IPAP around 9.

I noticed that today's charts look like the CAs happened when pressure was higher. Probably just coincidental.

Nice shift back toward lowered AHI. Good luck with your pending changes.

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
07-20-2015 04:48 AM
richb Offline

Advisory Members

Tried CPAP again last night. Setting 11 15. Got my best AHI ever 12.48. I have no idea why last night was better.
07-20-2015 10:05 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleeprider Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Rich, that's interesting, particularly that you have essentially zero OA and H. On the theory that pressure support may aggravate CA, what is the minimum CPAP pressure you can tolerate before those begin to reappear?

07-20-2015 10:15 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [CPAP] New to the CPAP experience - questions DynamicMaroonPenguin1961 11 494 10-18-2016 08:32 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  My Experience and Some Questions Lourens1190 7 366 10-14-2016 04:19 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  UARS - ENT Recommended Septoplasty/Turbinate Reduction....experience? LB1982 11 451 09-30-2016 09:09 AM
Last Post: richb
  High Altitude experience with Dreamstation APAP. NorthernGuy 6 510 08-31-2016 08:52 PM
Last Post: NorthernGuy
  [Equipment] Experience with lighter CPAP machines for travel? jrolli1509 2 1,421 07-15-2016 03:43 PM
Last Post: Grover64
  [Equipment] Battery power experience for Dreamstation Auto CPAP NorthernGuy 9 1,222 07-10-2016 09:03 AM
Last Post: NorthernGuy
  Noob with Humana/Aprea Experience FrankNichols 9 900 05-22-2016 04:39 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols