Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone else experience this?
RE: Anyone else experience this?
(07-16-2015, 05:28 PM)richb Wrote:
(07-16-2015, 04:54 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(07-16-2015, 10:52 AM)richb Wrote: You are still getting a lot of leaks. You might want to try a chin strap to eliminate the leaks. The leaks are probably removing too much CO2 and causing the CAs.

Could you explain that a little more. I am having a senior day and am not following why that would be the case.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
According to your statistics your leak percentage is 12%. Leaks could be washing out CO2 which your body measures to control respiration. Your Ti time might well be a factor. I too am inclined to adjust mine for a longer inspiration time. You might have been experiencing arousals if you were trying to inhale during a transition from inhalation to exhalation. Do you feel that the Ti time change has made a specific difference?

richb,

They are not my leaks. What I was asking is for your logic behind the statement that , "leaks may be washing out CO2".

According to the OP he was having a problem with the transition from exhalation to inhalation not the other way around.

Ti max and Ti min do not control the inspiration pressure time, they set limits for it. Similar to max and min IPAP with an autoset.

The change that the OP made to the Ti max could not possibly have made a difference to the problem he was having with the transition from exhalation to inhalation because the Ti max only operates at the end of inhalation when it is time to transition to exhalation or for the inhalation to exhalation transition.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2015, 10:28 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(07-16-2015, 05:28 PM)richb Wrote:
(07-16-2015, 04:54 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Could you explain that a little more. I am having a senior day and am not following why that would be the case.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
According to your statistics your leak percentage is 12%. Leaks could be washing out CO2 which your body measures to control respiration. Your Ti time might well be a factor. I too am inclined to adjust mine for a longer inspiration time. You might have been experiencing arousals if you were trying to inhale during a transition from inhalation to exhalation. Do you feel that the Ti time change has made a specific difference?

richb,

They are not my leaks. What I was asking is for your logic behind the statement that , "leaks may be washing out CO2".

According to the OP he was having a problem with the transition from exhalation to inhalation not the other way around.

Ti max and Ti min do not control the inspiration pressure time, they set limits for it. Similar to max and min IPAP with an autoset.

The change that the OP made to the Ti max could not possibly have made a difference to the problem he was having with the transition from exhalation to inhalation because the Ti max only operates at the end of inhalation when it is time to transition to exhalation or for the inhalation to exhalation transition.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

I did get that wrong. I had just returned from a new titration and had very little sleep.

Rich.
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
leaks can only - very remotely - affect CO2 washout. Not washout per se, but amount of CO2 remaining in the breathed/rebreathed. More leakage (if not disruptive and not confusing to the machine algorithm) clears the air more. If there is some CO2 still stuck in the inhaled air, the CO2 that is washed out, then it is replaced by "less than pure" oxygen.

QAL

ps. this can lead you to come up with some strategies for adding trapped air which have potential hazards associated, so we will not discuss anyone you know having maybe done some of that.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2015, 02:24 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: leaks can only - very remotely - affect CO2 washout. Not washout per se, but amount of CO2 remaining in the breathed/rebreathed. More leakage (if not disruptive and not confusing to the machine algorithm) clears the air more. If there is some CO2 still stuck in the inhaled air, the CO2 that is washed out, then it is replaced by "less than pure" oxygen.

QAL

ps. this can lead you to come up with some strategies for adding trapped air which have potential hazards associated, so we will not discuss anyone you know having maybe done some of that.

There is some experimental work using a device that traps some exhaled air to raise CO2 levels. And yes I have also seen only a little reference to washout caused by leaks.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
I can see where leaks could clear more CO2 out of the mask and where it might be a concern for the larger volumes of FFMs. With any of the nasal masks there is not that much air volume inside the mask, so it would seem to me that the effect would be minimal but that is just my thinking. Another thing that occurs to me is that most of the masks are designed so that the air entrance is close to ones nose and I would think that most of the air inhaled is fresh from the hose. Again, just my thinking.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I was just re-titrated and will be put on a new setting of Exp 11 Insp 15. I had a difficult titration meaning it was difficult to fall asleep and difficult to stay asleep. Lots of CAs, many during sleep onset which woke me up. I felt like the Ti time of 2 sec. was too short for recovery after a CA. I felt like the machine was stuck between Insp and Exp offering me no air. That was just my feeling and may not have been the case. In any event I will be looking at my results in the morning to see if my new settings return much lower CAs.

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
note - there is no PAP machine that forces your exhale. exhale is a balloon deflating. the EPAP is a pressure that acts to *slow* the exhale. The less the EPAP, the more the natural deflation can occur. So, when I say I do not have a pressure relief, what I am really saying is the pressure that helps me breathe in is there to resist my breathing out. So all the breathing is basically mine to do. The air pressure just keeps the airway walls from collapsing.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
First night after new titration. AHI 30 all CAs. Machine set for Bi-Pap 11 15. No improvement since start of treatment. There is a nearly 2 hr period at the end of the night where the AHI is nearly 70 all CAs. I have tried the following pressures Bi-Pap 5-9, CPAP 9, Auto averaging 13, and Bi-PAP 11 15. None of these settings has produced any significant improvement.

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
What was the explanation that you weren't prescribed ASV?
Does your sleep clinic doctor have some kind of conflict of interest in prescribing less expensive machines?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2015, 07:56 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: What was the explanation that you weren't prescribed ASV?
Does your sleep clinic doctor have some kind of conflict of interest in prescribing less expensive machines?

I have a new appointment with the Sleep Doc on July 30. I expect to get either an ASV machine medication or both. The Doc and techs haven’t seen the "Cheyne Stokes" type of breathing (during titration) seen by my machine every single night. My BP is elevated every morning. I check BP several times a day. Elevated in the morning and normal to very low the rest of the day. I will stay on the current settings for 2 more nights. Then I will be calling the Sleep Center to go over my latest numbers. Starting Monday I will go off the machine for a few days and compare morning BP. I expect my BP to show some better numbers without the machine just like before starting treatment.

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 415 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  My Resent Experience: Momsworry 3 102 03-23-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Any experience with paradoxical breathing? pezhead99 3 543 11-12-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: pezhead99
  AirSense 11 and MyAir App - Poor Experience necochino 29 4,446 08-24-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: krsattler
  Somnics iNAP experience after 1 week joshielevy 12 5,338 07-19-2023, 12:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  PAP and Cognition (brain fog, memory, focus, etc) - Share your experience! cyrial 0 511 06-04-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: cyrial
  Those of you who experience Hypopneas and not Apneas, what were your symptoms and how jz68 5 1,011 04-24-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.