Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone else experience this?
RE: Anyone else experience this?
wxmcpo,

We have hijacked your thread. How are you coming along? Are things improving for you? Let us know.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2015, 10:50 AM)PaytonA Wrote: wxmcpo,

We have hijacked your thread. How are you coming along? Are things improving for you? Let us know.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

I was hoping that this thread would be a dialogue with several of us participating. I would like to see a screenshot of wxmpco's sleepyhead data.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply

Best Regards,

PaytonA

No worries on the hijack. I am enjoying the discussion and if it helps anyone (even if it's not me) then that is a good thing.

After putting Pressure Support at 4.0 and TiMax at 3.0 I was getting AHI's in the single digits. I raised Pressure Support to 5.0 and my AHI shot up to 29.37. So I reset Pressure Support to 4.0 (TiMax was still at 3.0) and my AHI went down 8.10 so I thought I had something figured out (leave Pressure Support at 4.0 and TiMax at 3.0), but the next night my AHI shot back up to 22.54. I will admit this has frustrated me because I have been on therapy now for six weeks and it just doesn't seem to be working as well as my buddy who has been on therapy for about three weeks (he has AHIs consistently below 1.0). This frustration has led me to not wear my mask the last two nights.

(07-18-2015, 01:45 PM)richb Wrote: I was hoping that this thread would be a dialogue with several of us participating. I would like to see a screenshot of wxmpco's sleepyhead data.

Rich

Rich,

I actually posted two screenshots back on page two of this thread. However, here is my most recent night's data (two nights ago because I haven't worn my mask the last two nights out of frustration).

[Image: QW03RuVl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2015, 04:26 AM)wxmcpo Wrote:

Best Regards,

PaytonA

No worries on the hijack. I am enjoying the discussion and if it helps anyone (even if it's not me) then that is a good thing.

After putting Pressure Support at 4.0 and TiMax at 3.0 I was getting AHI's in the single digits. I raised Pressure Support to 5.0 and my AHI shot up to 29.37. So I reset Pressure Support to 4.0 (TiMax was still at 3.0) and my AHI went down 8.10 so I thought I had something figured out (leave Pressure Support at 4.0 and TiMax at 3.0), but the next night my AHI shot back up to 22.54. I will admit this has frustrated me because I have been on therapy now for six weeks and it just doesn't seem to be working as well as my buddy who has been on therapy for about three weeks (he has AHIs consistently below 1.0). This frustration has led me to not wear my mask the last two nights.

(07-18-2015, 01:45 PM)richb Wrote: I was hoping that this thread would be a dialogue with several of us participating. I would like to see a screenshot of wxmpco's sleepyhead data.

Rich

Rich,

I actually posted two screenshots back on page two of this thread. However, here is my most recent night's data (two nights ago because I haven't worn my mask the last two nights out of frustration).

[Image: QW03RuVl.png]

Thanks for sharing your latest data. Your data looks quite a bit like mine. I also did not use my machine last night. I have been taking my blood pressure many times during the day. Yesterday after a night on the machine I got 152 over 101. This AM with no machine I got 125 over 82. I will try that again with the machine tonight. It does seem that the machine is aggravating my CAs. Looking at your chart it seems that leaks and snoring have no impact on your CAs. Research has shown that CPAP and Bi-Pap are not effective in controlling CAs. ASV machines can be effective in that they encourage breathing during CA episodes. Both you and I may be candidates for other kinds of treatment. Medication, ASV or both. Comments?
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
The only thing that I know of that might reduce your CAs with your current machines is to reduce the PS to very little or maybe zero. You could try it for a night or two to see what happens. This is assuming that you are using your Vauto in Vauto mode. If you are using it in S mode, adjust the IPAP so that it is close to the EPAP or the same. If using CPAP mode, turn off the EPR.

Other than this, I do not know of anything that might help CAs with your current machines. If no help, take your data to your doctor and discuss the need for a BiPAP with a back up rate.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2015, 12:52 PM)PaytonA Wrote: The only thing that I know of that might reduce your CAs with your current machines is to reduce the PS to very little or maybe zero. You could try it for a night or two to see what happens. This is assuming that you are using your Vauto in Vauto mode. If you are using it in S mode, adjust the IPAP so that it is close to the EPAP or the same. If using CPAP mode, turn off the EPR.

Other than this, I do not know of anything that might help CAs with your current machines. If no help, take your data to your doctor and discuss the need for a BiPAP with a back up rate.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

I tried a night of straight CPAP at 9. No significant difference.

Rich

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2015, 10:50 AM)richb Wrote: Thanks for sharing your latest data. Your data looks quite a bit like mine. I also did not use my machine last night. I have been taking my blood pressure many times during the day. Yesterday after a night on the machine I got 152 over 101. This AM with no machine I got 125 over 82. I will try that again with the machine tonight. It does seem that the machine is aggravating my CAs. Looking at your chart it seems that leaks and snoring have no impact on your CAs. Research has shown that CPAP and Bi-Pap are not effective in controlling CAs. ASV machines can be effective in that they encourage breathing during CA episodes. Both you and I may be candidates for other kinds of treatment. Medication, ASV or both. Comments?

I haven't tried taking my BP with or without using the mask, but I agree and don't believe that leaks have any bearing on my CA events. I wore my mask again last night and actually wore my chin strap to help prevent leaks thinking that may be causing issues. It definitely did prevent leaks and my AHI did go from 22.54 back down to 12.04, but the only think constant about my AHI number is it hasn't ever been constant in my six weeks of therapy. I still had numerous CA events throughout the night. Here's my sleepyhead data from last night.

[Image: cOtnVpdl.png]

One question, what does mask pressure tell me?

Another thing I really don't understand is here's another shot of last night's data, but to show the AHI throughout the night. If you look at my AHI spike it was early in my night's sleep (which is actually really typical looking at my data) but it doesn't correlate to where I have my most events. I would think that where I had the most events I would have the highest AHI numbers, but that's not the case.

[Image: GsFq4ill.png]

So why do the highest AHI's typically happen within the first couple of hours of sleep? Is it just the body getting used to therapy for the night? I typically will have a second spike later in the night closer to when it is getting time for me to wake up. Also why wouldn't high number of events correspond to high AHI?

(07-19-2015, 12:52 PM)PaytonA Wrote: The only thing that I know of that might reduce your CAs with your current machines is to reduce the PS to very little or maybe zero. You could try it for a night or two to see what happens. This is assuming that you are using your Vauto in Vauto mode. If you are using it in S mode, adjust the IPAP so that it is close to the EPAP or the same. If using CPAP mode, turn off the EPR.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

By PS I am assuming you mean Pressure Support. I will give that a try tonight and lower it from 4.0 to 3.0 and see what that does. I'll report on it tomorrow.

Actually now that I think about it, isn't Pressure Support the difference between EPAP and IPAP? So if I have a Pressure Support of 4.0 and my EPAP is 4.0 that would make my IPAP 8.0 correct? So lowering Pressure Supprt would actually make these two closer if my thinking is correct. I would think I wouldn't want to lower that since most nights my EPAP is typically around 5 and my IPAP is around 9 according to ResScan. I would think lowering the PS (if by PS you mean Pressure Support) would actually not help in this case and may make my night a little tougher. Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI graph does correlate to when you have the events - it gets high when you have the events, and does not decrease until exactly an hour after each event, thus tracking how many events occurred in the last hour.

you are correct - lowering the pressure support does change the difference between inhale and exhale. given just that change (from 4 to 3), you would find ResScan reporting EPAP around 6 and IPAP around 9.

I noticed that today's charts look like the CAs happened when pressure was higher. Probably just coincidental.

Nice shift back toward lowered AHI. Good luck with your pending changes.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=1613]Tried CPAP again last night. Setting 11 15. Got my best AHI ever 12.48. I have no idea why last night was better.

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Rich, that's interesting, particularly that you have essentially zero OA and H. On the theory that pressure support may aggravate CA, what is the minimum CPAP pressure you can tolerate before those begin to reappear?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 415 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  My Resent Experience: Momsworry 3 102 03-23-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Any experience with paradoxical breathing? pezhead99 3 543 11-12-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: pezhead99
  AirSense 11 and MyAir App - Poor Experience necochino 29 4,446 08-24-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: krsattler
  Somnics iNAP experience after 1 week joshielevy 12 5,338 07-19-2023, 12:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  PAP and Cognition (brain fog, memory, focus, etc) - Share your experience! cyrial 0 511 06-04-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: cyrial
  Those of you who experience Hypopneas and not Apneas, what were your symptoms and how jz68 5 1,011 04-24-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.