Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone else freak themselves out using SleepyHead the first time?
Surprised 
Anyone else freak themselves out using SleepyHead the first time?
So I just downloaded the sleepy head app... I only have three nights of data on the card, but three days is enough to freak me out a little. I'm sure it's normal, and to be honest, I probably wouldn't really know what seriously abnormal is (though, since we're all on CPAP we're all a little abnormal Tongue)

The two main things that freaked me a little was seeing a couple occasions where I went a long time with minimal # breaths, and the second was seeing my respiration rate a bit high at times.

Anyone else give themselves a little shock with sleepyhead? (Or similar program)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone else freak themselves out using SleepyHead the first time?
Yep. Especially the bit about how long each event lasts. Then i try to do it while awake.

But don't get yourself worked up. It's okay. Watch the data, learn what it all means. You'll need a lot of it before you start seeing any trends, especially since you are just starting out.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2014, 10:20 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Yep. Especially the bit about how long each event lasts. Then i try to do it while awake.

But don't get yourself worked up. It's okay. Watch the data, learn what it all means. You'll need a lot of it before you start seeing any trends, especially since you are just starting out.

This is true Tongue

Plus, next month I will be going back to the sleep clinic with my CPAP machine for another study. I'm not sure what all they were able to tell the first time, as I didn't have a CPAP but they did have those hose things they use for oxygen in my nose (but there was no oxygen).

It seems that at certain points during the night, my breathing becomes rapid. Like you, I tried it while I was awake and my only conclusion is that it is definitely when I'm asleep. All 3 nights the high points were 30-40bpm! If I do that awake I feel like I'd pass out! Haha. But it must be shallow breathing Tongue

I'm hoping when I have my second study that my pressure is increased. I remember a few people mentioning it would like be as I'm only at a 7 :p. I think that will help some things out :p
Post Reply Post Reply
The nose thingy without oxygen was probably to measure what was coming out. Like CO2. And probably respiratory rate.

You must have good insurance for them to be paying for another sleep study. After that one, I'd push to get an autoPAP. Better for you if you have oddities from the study.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2014, 10:50 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The nose thingy without oxygen was probably to measure what was coming out. Like CO2. And probably respiratory rate.

You must have good insurance for them to be paying for another sleep study. After that one, I'd push to get an autoPAP. Better for you if you have oddities from the study.

I'm very lucky to live in Ontario so the sleep studies are covered under OHIP. If your doctor thinks you need one, OHIP covers 100% of a diagnostic sleep study (to see what's wrong) to a max of 1 per year, while therapeutic studies (which I'm assuming is something like checking what pressure you need for a CPAP) is 1 every 2 years. If you need a CPAP, they have you use the machine for a bit and within 60 days you go back for another test to see if it helps and to accurately just the pressure you need Smile

Not sure where else does this, but in ontario the machines themselves (plus basic mask and hose setup) are also regulated by the government, so DME's can only charge the government approved prices, and then OHIP pays 75% of that. I suppose the DME's make their money on the supplies such as masks and whatnot.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepyheads charts were freaky when I first started usg it. But they offer so much helpful data I got over it fast.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
How do you measure or capture your pulse rate (bpm)? Do you wake or move around just after the period you experience those low beats per minute, and high respire rates?

I remember dreaming when I wake enough within 5 to 10 minutes after this happens to me.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
In her reference, "bpm" refers to breaths per minute, not beats per minute. This is calculated by the CPAP itself. The beats per minute would require a pulse oximeter.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2014, 01:54 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: In her reference, "bpm" refers to breaths per minute, not beats per minute. This is calculated by the CPAP itself. The beats per minute would require a pulse oximeter.

^What she said Tongue

Unfortunately I can't tell when I'm awake and when I'm asleep to know if the breathing changing are occurring when I'm moving around. It's hard to say. But some of them, with the time span they occurred over, seem unlikely to be when I was awake. I tried mimicking them while awake and it was not natural feeling at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2014, 08:30 PM)Amie87 Wrote: Unfortunately I can't tell when I'm awake and when I'm asleep

If that's the case you need more help than just the PAP! Dielaughing

If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 200 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,416 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 608 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 243 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 169 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 801 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,214 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.