Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone else getting lazy af about cleaning their equipment?
RE: Anyone else getting lazy af about cleaning their equipment?
I saw several mentions of using alcohol and Clorox to clean CPAP equipment. Thought I red in the directions not to use either one on silicon parts which most masks have. Baby wipes have oil in them, I believe, which could increase leaks. I wash my cushion and small connecting hose daily, the large hose and humidifier tank weekly. My husband seldom washes any of his equipment but doesn't use the humidifier. Neither of us has had any problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2019, 08:39 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: I saw several mentions of using alcohol and Clorox to clean CPAP equipment.  Thought I red in the directions not to use either one on silicon parts which most masks have.  Baby wipes have oil in them, I believe, which could increase leaks.  I wash my cushion and small connecting hose daily, the large hose and humidifier tank weekly.  My husband seldom washes any of his equipment but doesn't use the humidifier.  Neither of us has had any problems.

I too, was made aware of precautions when it came to using strong chemicals on the silicone cushions. I decided to go ahead and see what happened if I did. Nothing happened! 

I try to get 3-5 months of use out of a cushion for my AirFit F20 / F30 masks. I've been using the Clorox wipes now for over a year. From what I have experienced, the wipes have done no harm. The wipes do not seem to degrade the silicone at all. 

The chemicals dissipate quickly from the cushions. And for me, my face doesn't get irritated. They are easy to use and quite economical when you buy the three-pack value package. I also use the wipes on my hose quiet elbow.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use purell alcohol based hand sanitiser on a tissue to remove face oils from the silicone on my mask when not using the Bleep I have had no adverse reactions
Post Reply Post Reply
Using tap water can cause mineral deposits in the reservoir, not in the hose. Any condensation in the hose or mask is pure distilled water. I remove the reservoir right after I get up so I don't get condensation from stagnant air. I dump the tap water, rinse it out, dry it with a towel and store it upside down.

I wipe off the mask because of the sweat and nasal discharge.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I Recently had the "burning smell" issue so I was on a quest. I did have the power brick right behind my machine so I moved it to the floor but I also realized that I had not cleaned my hose in 30 days ( I did disinfect it weekly though....) So I thoroughly cleaned the water tank, hose and mask in hot water and soap, wiped down the water chamber with cpap wipes and have to say that I did not have any smell any longer. So going forward I will be religious about a schedule of routine cleaning in addition to my schedule of disinfecting with my Lumin machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
This past Sunday is the first time I didn’t wash my supplies with Dawn and very warm water. After reading many posts saying it’s not necessary to religiously wash them unless they are visibly dirty I think I’m gonna relax a bit and and keep wiping everything down but not worry if I don’t have time  to wash and let them dry. I have a Lumin that was gifted to me after I got diagnosed that I use after washing or wiping everything down. So as long as I keep them clean with the wipes and use the Lumin every so often I don’t think I will have any issues. Except for the hose that’ll pay closer attention to since I run my humidifier relatively high at 6 with the ClimateLine hose just to make sure there isn’t any condensation pooling in the lower sections. 

I know the Lumin isn’t necessary but it was given to me so why not use it. It’s come in handy for sanitizing other things also like phones, smart watches and anything else that’ll fit in there. I do make sure I either wash or wipe down whatever I put in there first since any surface dirt will keep any bacteria safe and sound. You can almost hear it’s evil chuckle knowing it’ll survive if you don’t clean it first lol (kidding). 

Back to the title of the thread, I plan on being lazy but not too lazy
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
Humidifier - Since we replaced our water softener, I no longer buy distilled for my machine. I just use 1/4 cup of vinegar when I get a little buildup (roughly 7 months). If I visit my sister, I have to take distilled with me because I'd get a buildup in just 10 days. So water is emptied daily and filled at the sink. For my brother, I still get distilled because it's easier. I wash his bin once a week.

Hose - washed weekly during open window season. Once or twice a month in the winter. I've had algae growing in my hose where the sun strikes.

Mask - nasal pillows about once a week. Just lazy. I rinse them when I dump my bin out to refill at the sink. I throw the fabric strap for my mask into the wash and dryer about once a month now - seems to last a lot longer than with hand washing. My bro uses a wipe on his mask most days. It gets washed when he asks, about once a month or so.
Post Reply Post Reply
About two years in now.. 

I wash my mask when it starts to not seal well against my face ( F&P Eson nose mask )

I wash the filters in the machine when I get around to it, roughly every two months or so, even though the machine reminds me every month without fail.  Big Grin 
In the two years I've replaced the filters three times, washed the hose a couple of times, no longer use water in the humidifier tank, and have the hose heat turned on only during winter... I gave up stressing about bugs long ago with most things in my life, I just maintain a general overall cleanliness without trying to have a sterile environment.
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
"I've had algae growing in my hose where the sun strikes."

Algae does not grow without moisture. You need to remove the water reservoir immediately after use. If you get condensation during use, you need to turn down the humidity or use a heated hose.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 220 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,790 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 6 546 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Macka
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 342 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 375 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.