Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone else getting lazy af about cleaning their equipment?
Anyone else getting lazy af about cleaning their equipment?
Initially, I was cpap-wiping my brevida nasal mask down daily, but now, I'll wipe them down maybe once a week with a baby wipe instead of the fancy cpap branded wipes. 

I think I washed my hose a grand total of one time. Waste of buying baby shampoo to clean it with. 

I did replace my hose recently, but that was because I went overseas with my machine and was using tap water there (and for a month when I came back). I decided to replace all the parts (hose, water reservoir, filters (of course), when I saw how many minerals and such were on the bottom of the water reservoir after using tap for approximately 6-8 weeks. 

I'm back to using distilled water and so far, no buildup in my reservoir. 

I've replaced my headgear one, probably around the six month mark. Going to reorder supplies once more at the end of the month since I've met my deductible this year, and will use my spare supplies throughout next year. 

Anyway, anyone else just lazy about cleaning their equipment? Of course, sanitation is key if you're sick, at which point I also wipe down/wash my mask daily.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone else getting lazy af about cleaning their equipment?
I don't recall when I last cleaned my hose. I inspect it every week or two for any signs of mold or residue and never see anything. I use distilled water in my reservoir and just top it of daily. If I notice any slime or residue, which is seldom, I wash it with mild detergent. I try tap water from time to time but our well isso hard that I need to clean with vinegar daily. I use baby wipes on my cushion every few days. I wash my mask with warm water and mild detergent every week to 10 days; more frequently if I see any residues. I've been using the same F20 mask and cushion for 21 months. The cushion is a little yellowed but seal fine. It's not laziness. I believe it's just common sense. (Actually educated sense since I am a microbiologist.) Some worry too much about nonexistent infection risks. Your not alone.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
yes. clean maybe once a month now. still using 3 year old p10 mask frame, headgear & heated hose. I have 3 machines & water chambers & 3 nasal pillows so those have less than 3 years use but I see little reason to replace stuff as frequently as dme providers would have us think.
Post Reply Post Reply
No not laziness, I just clean the xPAP parts when it's needed according to my schedule, which is somewhere between 1 and 2 weeks. Supply replacement is certainly not according to recommended. My original ASV heated hose is going strong at over 2 years. If it breaks, it's replaced. The only item I replace "frequently" is the ASV air inlet filter. And since I'm just a rogue, tap water is perfectly OK. If I can drink it, I can breathe it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2019, 03:04 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: And since I'm just a rogue, tap water is perfectly OK. If I can drink it, I can breathe it.

You're not a rogue. I frequently state that tap water is fine and there is no need to use distilled water. I just find it's less trouble to use distilled water than clean with vinegar daily. If I didn't have such hard water I would use tap water.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
When I woke up from my first sleep study many years ago, I felt fantastic. I was ready. Sign me up. Then I started to read posts about everything that people had to go through to clean their machines. At that point I decided not to get a humidifier. I didn't care about wearing the mask or the air pressure, just don't make me dedicate that much time cleaning everything.

With that in mind, my cleaning routine would vary. Also I didn't have a DME after I got my machine. Might clean my mask once a month, or two. I felt cleaning the cushion would wear it out sooner, so that was the same, unless there were leaks. Filters every few months. Rinse the hose out once a year. There was no humidity so no water. I got to where cushions would last well over a year. The mask, except for the Mirage Ultra forehead support, would be 4-5 years ( I still have 2 new Quattro FX masks from 2011 when I had to go back to a DME for a year). Hoses a couple of years or more; I never really kept track. Initially I would use until it would leak. In the early days I think I may have even tried to fix it.

With the new machine, I have decided to be a little better. Wash the cushion every week, wipe the frame with an alcohol wipe once a month. Not going to wash the QuietAir elbow due to possible mildew. I am going to use the frame as long as I can. Change the cushions every 3-6 (12?) months as necessary. Change filters once a month. Now that I am on Medicare I have a DME, so I'll just take the supplies as issued (except Climateline and Humidifier Tank) and have them on hand.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
I clean mine on a regular basis, even though I don't use the humidifier.

A year doesn't go by without me cleaning my CPAP equipment.

And I'm sticking to that schedule religiously.    Been doing that since 2004 and haven't died yet.

Grin

... that said, if I used the humidifier, I'd be quite a bit more careful, since humidity breeds all sorts of "issues".

(that sound you just heard is the entire forum staff and Advisory Members cringing and verbalizing their disgust).   Too-funny
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
Are you suppose to clean this stuff?  I thought I bought the self-cleaning model. I do wipe the dust off of it every so often.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't say that I've become lazy, but I do admit to having relaxed my cleaning regime a bit. 

The water reservoir gets emptied each & every morning, wiped dry and then allowed to air dry for a few hours. I stopped using distilled water long ago. My mask / cushion gets wiped down with Clorox anti-bacteria wipes. The hose and quiet elbow to my mask gets washed in hot water and Dawn dish soap about once a week.

I still feel good in regards to my CPAP equipment being clean and sanitary.
Post Reply Post Reply
We have a lot of mineral in our well water. We use distilled water. It costs less than a dollar a gallon so it’s no big deal. Wash the tanks, hoses and masks once a week with warm soapy water. If I lived in a humid climate I sure wouldn’t wait months or years between cleaning my gear. It’s dry here but I still feel better cleaning things once a week.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 220 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,790 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 6 546 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Macka
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 342 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 375 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.