Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone else has this problem?
Anyone else has this problem?
I started out at min pressure 4. All good, low AHI, but then it crept up, and I had serious trouble breathing (did not get enough air). So, following advice on the boards (and the sleep doc) the pressure was increased to 6, then 6.5. AHI again started to decrease. Then, the first morning it recorded zero AHI, I woke up the next night gasping for air (after only a few hours of sleep). I couldn't breathe properly. I slept one night without mask, and the second night tried the mask again. No luck. In both cases, it was as if my air passages became narrower and I couldn't get enough air. Increased pressure to 7, then, as that did not help, raised it to 7.5 in the same night. After that I could sleep.

I will talk to my sleep doc soon, but any feedback might help me to focus in on the right questions. To me, it seems that my body adjusts to the new pressure and as soon as it has adjusted perfectly, the next night, I run into trouble.

On the other hand, I noticed something strange. The first time I increased the pressure to 6.5, I could feel the air blow out from the P10 very well (despite the diffusing system) when I kept my hand close. The night I woke up unable to breathe, I could hardly feel air come out (at the same pressure). I clean the mask. The only thing I noticed is that there was water in the hose that had accumulated and I let it run out. I lowered the humidifier level after that. But it did not help.

I wonder if condensation might plug the mask somehow. Or if there is another issue. I'm quite puzzled. The cycle of increasing the pressure can't continue I imagine. So what happens if this occurs on every increase? I.e. lowering AHI, until perfect score, then not able to get enough air. Does the body adjust? Did anyone else experience this?
Before APAP: [Image: DARTH-VADER_zpsa57946df.png]

After APAP: See avatar: R2D2 for the win!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle"
--Ian Maclaren

I don't snore! I just make creepy noises so the aliens know I'm not someone to be messed with.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone else has this problem?
The sensation you are having when waking is how many people will describe an apnea. "choking, gasping, not getting any air" are all common complaints. I'm not saying this is what is happening, but if I had to guess I would say that is what it is.

I've never used the isleep so don't know if it has any recording capability (centrals in particular).
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2014, 02:47 PM)Visitor Wrote: On the other hand, I noticed something strange. The first time I increased the pressure to 6.5, I could feel the air blow out from the P10 very well (despite the diffusing system) when I kept my hand close. The night I woke up unable to breathe, I could hardly feel air come out (at the same pressure). I clean the mask.

I've heard (somewhere) tales of someone(s) that had their P10 get clogged up and not venting ANY air... and they had to scrub the mesh with hot soapy water to get it venting again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Jaycee. I noticed in the graphs that the pressure hit the ceiling a few times and stayed there for a while (max pressure 12).

The Breas records most data, but not centrals. I've wondered about those.

I hardly ever woke from apneas in the past (prior to APAP). It think it only happened once prior APAP. But it could be a new issue of course. But once I wake up, and try to put the mask on, I'm unable to wear it. I still don't get enough air and get the feeling that I'm suffocating (not that drastic, but just to sketch it. I just don't get enough air and in the end can't wear the mask). So if these were apneas, I would assume that the feeling should pass afterwards and I should be able to wear the mask and get back to sleep (?). Unless perhaps the choking feeling lasted very long during apnea and my body just wouldn't take any air restriction after it at all. Not sure.
Thanks diamaunt. Will try. But once I increased it to 7.5, sufficient air left the vents (as much as in the past on 6.5), i.e. I could feel it clearly against my hand, while before I couldn't. Of course additional pressure might clear the vent. Still it seems odd that there would be such variation.

--Ian Maclaren

I don't snore! I just make creepy noises so the aliens know I'm not someone to be messed with.
Post Reply Post Reply
I assume that the sleep doc will be able to spot centrals from the graphs. So I'll ask him about those for sure.

--Ian Maclaren

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2014, 02:47 PM)Visitor Wrote: The only thing I noticed is that there was water in the hose that had accumulated and I let it run out. I lowered the humidifier level after that. But it did not help.
Water in the hose is called 'rainout', beside turn down the humidifier setting ... placing the machine lower than the bed, hose under covers or/and hose cover, might helps too
Post Reply Post Reply
I've done all that, cover, turned down humidifier and placed it lower than the bed. I'm not sure it's too much humidity causing the problem. Just thought I'd mention it as it did occur.

--Ian Maclaren

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2014, 03:16 PM)Visitor Wrote: Thanks diamaunt. Will try. But once I increased it to 7.5, sufficient air left the vents (as much as in the past on 6.5), i.e. I could feel it clearly against my hand, while before I couldn't. Of course additional pressure might clear the vent. Still it seems odd that there would be such variation.

found it: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...6#pid72426
Post Reply Post Reply
Water can clog up the hose to the point that air is blocked but you would know LONG before that because it makes enough noise to wake the dead. If the machine is tilted or dropped, then water can get into the hose that way and block it but that's not what is happening here.

Is the P10 the only mask you have tried? If it is, I suggest trying another mask. There's many other nasal pillows on the market that are just as small, they just don't have that "diffuser" over the vent holes.

The only other thing I can think of is to have the DME test the pressure output of the machine.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Have you noticed any large python snakes in your bed lately? That could create the problem..

Other than that, 7.5 is really not a big number as things go. It might be where you belong. Many people do run on low numbers. I'm wondering if with your new found therapy if maybe you're spending more time on your back? Back sleeping is great, but it can need higher pressures or be unable to do at all. I love sleeping on my back, but if my machine decided to only give me the pressure I use when on my side, I'd feel like I was suffocating. I'll run about 2 points higher when I spend much time on my back.

Zonk's thoughts on making sure to keep the water out of your hose are good ideas. I use a regular slim-line hose, nothing as fancy as the cute little climatized things, but I've never actually had any problems with water. I do sleep with the hose under the covers, which takes a little getting used to. But it's ok.

Finally, anything else going on environmentally? Like a sudden weight increase of 20 pounds, or stones, or whatever you guys call it?

Just snoop around a little and you'll figure this out.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,584 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,352 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,477 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 333 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 552 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 394 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 232 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.