Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone else have Sleep Drs that're only CPAP machine mills?
RE: Anyone else have Sleep Drs that're only CPAP machine mills?
Yep.  My sleep dr was certainly a cpap mill.  I read the yelp reviews before going to him, and they stated that too.  I looked at others' yelp reviews, and they pretty much all said that, so I decided to just go for it since this was the one my PCM dr had referred me to.

I got my cpap, and it greatly helped my quality of life from day 1.  So I knew that even if I was a recipient of his cpap mill, at least I was a worthy recipient. 

BUT when I went for my first follow-up appt, I was IN AWE of how BAD this dr was.  He looked at the data from my machine, said things are good, and wanted to send me on my way.  I told him I am happy for the improvement, but I believe I needed *more* (ie: I didn't feel I was getting enough air, and I had some other issues I wanted to discuss).  He was NOT AT ALL interested in discussing ANY of this nor in hearing any of this.  My data had simply validated his Rx, and was all he needed in order to get the check in the box for him to continue being compensated by insurance.  And THAT was when I felt like I was simply a hog on a farm, a means for a paycheck for him. 

My sleep doctor was also my DME.  Did I mention that?  Yeah.  That follow-up appointment was when I realized just how WRONG that is.  He was unwilling to even discuss "allowing" me to have (or even TRY) any other machines, since I'd already signed on the dotted line for the one I'd rented for a month.  He was also unwilling to talk with me, or allow me to talk with the "tech", about trying different masks and sizes. 

I've since moved.  And I've decided my line in the sand will be that I will NOT go to a sleep doctor that acts as a DME.  But... I have no clue how to find a good sleep dr.  Is there such a thing?  Do I even need one, now that I found this group and I already have an Rx for a machine?   Unsure

Thankfully, before I moved, I found a GOOD DME, and I got a good machine and good things for it (heated hose, new mask). I plan to continue using this DME.

P.S. This board is SO helpful. The software is super easy to install and use. I don't know what most of the stuff is that it shows, but when I share a screenshot of it here, these peeps do a fabulous job of helping me know how to adjust my machine so it gives me an even better night's sleep! I highly encourage you to do that. These kind folks can help you so much!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2017, 08:14 PM)Beej Wrote: Some things you might explore with a primary care provider, if you have not done so already, may ensure that some alternative explanations are ruled out, such as low thyroid, diabetes, other endocrine problems, autoimmune/arthritis type conditions, lung problems preventing effective breathing, and heart problems.

You make a good point, to this day I have doubts regarding my Apnea diagnosis, and this is why my treatment does not appear to do much for me, other than to wake me every night in the early hours.

As for your options, diabetes readings are OK, or so my wife tells me, I have had a heart monitor for over 12 months, and as there has been no feedback I assume that bit is working well, and a basic lung function check I understand was fine.
As for the others, who knows?

FYI, the Apnea diagnosis came about during investigation for possible Epilepsy, though my research indicates little or no connection between the two issues. I might also add that I do not suffer from the severe daytime fatigue issues that the majority of others on the site describe. Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
You might benefit from finding a buddy to assist you with the software etc. Once you can get Sleepyhead up and going you can definitely expect to get some significant help from many of the participants on this forum. You may notice that I am not using Sleepyhead, that is because, before joining the forum I allowed a DME to dump a "brick" of a machine on me. I am now working to change that so I can start using Sleepyhead. I an fortunate in that I recently was referred to a sleep doctor who I feel is going to be helpful.

I believe you will find the benefits well worthwhile. It would really be good if you could tag up with someone in your area that uses Sleepyhead to help you. Here's wishing you good results. 

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
ok, thanks, Stanley, Phill, Ghost, and last but def not least, Petunia, er, I mean, Hydrangea! ;-)
Post Reply Post Reply
You may need to be persistent - If they didn't test for it, they can't find it.

Autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis - if someone up the family tree has rheumatoid arthritis, thyroid disease, diabetes, etc. you are more likely to develop something yourself.

There's a terrific web site for diagnostic  testing - http://www.Labtestsonline.org - you can check what tests are used to ID many different conditions.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi TurdFerguson8675, WELCOME! to the forum.!
I know you have had a rough time but I hope you keep trying to get your CPAP machine adjusted to help you sleep better.
Good luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
hi all, I am new to all this but I get the feeling most people setup their own machines and dont rely on doctors or others. This sounds good to me because I was sent to a pharmacist and got pretty much just a big hole in my savings and still tired (probably worse than before). I am looking forward to hopefully getting help here also thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
This board and similar ones do not represent the vast majority of individuals with sleep apnea. Some of the prevalence statistics run around 10% of the population.
It represents those who are interested in learning more and doing more to improve their sleep.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2017, 03:38 AM)jacl Wrote: hi all, I am new to all this but I get the feeling most people setup their own machines and dont rely on doctors or others. This sounds good to me because I was sent to a pharmacist and got pretty much just a big hole in my savings and still tired (probably worse than before). I am looking forward to hopefully getting help here also thanks

Oh dear no, most people do NOT set up their own machines.  They simply make do with the DME or doc and when that fails, they give up and push the machine into the back of the closet.  People who are determined to make an improvement are who make it here.  I pretty much research everything to death before buying, so a cpap was no different. 

The real problem with DMEs is that they are often taking advantage of people who are SICK and can't think well.  In addition, always remember that verbal contracts will promptly be forgotten. Get everything in writing, have the manager initial and sign and give them a copy.  It's a lot harder for them to back out of their promises when you have a signed agreement. Their next argument will be that "the person wasn't authorized to sign for the company" and you can just say that lawyers don't really agree with that as a PT is not just an employee, but a professional. My sister even makes them print their name as that is another way of avoiding responsibility - the illegible signature.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you can get an APAP (auto) machine instead of a CPAP it is easier to get it right on your own. Sleepyhead software is a must.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 95 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 192 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 162 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 313 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 635 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 204 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.